N-Ext Products

A place to discuss soil fertility and soil amendments
Post Reply
Miller_Low_Life
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:47 pm
Location: Omaha, Ne
Grass Type: Midwest Mix
Lawn Size: 6500
Mower: eGO 21 Inch

N-Ext Products

Post by Miller_Low_Life » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:35 am

How often should you use these products?
I have the Air-8, RGS & Humic Acid.
I've applied the Air-8 once a month so far and applied the others just two weeks ago.

User avatar
Suburban Jungle Life
Posts: 1332
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:34 pm
Location: MD/DMV
Grass Type: TTTF, FF, Zoysia
Lawn Size: 10k
Mower: Spinning Machete
Contact:

Re: N-Ext Products

Post by Suburban Jungle Life » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:21 am

I'd do the air8 once in spring and once in fall. The rgs everytime you fert (unless you fert every week) or once a month. Humic acid maybe 2 times a year.

User avatar
LouisvilleGrubber
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:21 am
Location: Louisville, KY
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 10000 SF
Mower: Toro TimeMaster

Re: N-Ext Products

Post by LouisvilleGrubber » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:08 pm

I'd also be curious to know who is using these products and how they are working. Where are people buying them? The fact that I've only seen these products on YouTube channels is a bit of a yellow flag for me, but I could be talked off that ledge.

User avatar
Killsocket
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:16 pm
Location: Big Lake, MN
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 10,000 sq ft
Mower: Toro Timemaster

Re: N-Ext Products

Post by Killsocket » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:15 pm

For homeowners, two places:

http://www.greenecountyfert.com/diy/

viva_oldtrafford
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Florida
Grass Type: Tifdwarf / Celebration / 419
Lawn Size: 200 acres
Mower: Too many to list

Re: N-Ext Products

Post by viva_oldtrafford » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:28 pm

LouisvilleGrubber wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:08 pm
I'd also be curious to know who is using these products and how they are working. Where are people buying them? The fact that I've only seen these products on YouTube channels is a bit of a yellow flag for me, but I could be talked off that ledge.
Rightfully so. These products come with claims that cannot be backed by science. Sure, you'll get some anecdotal stories of positive results, but nothing more. If you have the disposable income, and have some free time, by all means, give these products a try (spoiler...don't expect any real results from the super, duper, mega liquid aerification product). My favorite professor at Penn State, Dr. McNitt, would always tell us something along the lines of "if the product really works, the industry will let you know. You won't need a salesperson to fill you in".

Wolverine
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:47 pm
Location: Michigan
Grass Type: KBG/PRG
Lawn Size: 16k
Mower: 2015 John Deere X300

Re: N-Ext Products

Post by Wolverine » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:36 pm

I have RGS and green effect. I am running both of the products since spring along with milorganite, chicken pellet fert, pot ash combo and my turf is thick and deep green. I will switch to the the fall n blitz soon but for now very happy with N-ext products.

Miller_Low_Life
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:47 pm
Location: Omaha, Ne
Grass Type: Midwest Mix
Lawn Size: 6500
Mower: eGO 21 Inch

Re: N-Ext Products

Post by Miller_Low_Life » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:12 pm

I will say the Air-8 seems to be working. I’ve haf a tough time with two spots in the lawn that the clay is as soft as it’s ever been. Also could be I’m watering properly.

User avatar
Colonel K0rn
Posts: 2519
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:48 am
Location: Rincon, GA (near Savannah)
Grass Type: Royal Bengal Bermuda
Lawn Size: 13k
Mower: Toro GM Flex 21
Contact:

Re: N-Ext Products

Post by Colonel K0rn » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:06 pm

I've been using RGS, AIR-8, Humic 12 applied at the highest rates biweekly since 3/10 along with a few applications of Greene Effect (bimonthly), supplemented with urea foliar apps at 0.25#N/M. I've noticed that my compaction isn't as severe as it used to be, but I'm working with some soil that doesn't have much clay left. It's old, old clay that's been broken down over a very long time, and the remaining particles are almost silt-like, and it's making my soil very easy to compact.

What I have seen is an increase in the soil activity, at the surface which is visible, which was absent before I started applying. Some of the areas of my lawn that dry up after the rain form a crust, that's almost like dried up algae, but it's actually OM that's just sitting on the surface. It's quite interesting.

As far as empirical data, I don't have any to present, other than the tests that I have performed on my soil, and a record of the stuff that I'm applying. I do have a lot of pictures though.
I tend to edit because I forgot to put something in my post.
CK's 2017 Reno thread
CK's Lawn Journal

User avatar
iFisch3224
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:47 am
Location: Tavares, FL
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 4,000
Mower: Honda HRR216

Re: N-Ext Products

Post by iFisch3224 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:41 am

This is a picture, abet 7 years ago, of exactly what we are putting down in some form - kelp, (bat guano), humics, fulvics and macros. No other N supplementation except the guano. Although these are veggies, same principle applies for grass.

Image

slomo
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:35 pm
Location: OKC, OK
Grass Type: bermuda- Tifway

Re: N-Ext Products

Post by slomo » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:39 pm

Wolverine wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:36 pm
I have RGS and green effect. I am running both of the products since spring along with milorganite, chicken pellet fert, pot ash combo and my turf is thick and deep green. I will switch to the the fall n blitz soon but for now very happy with N-ext products.
Sounds just like my "animal" neighbors yard. He never mows, fertilizes, aerates, sprays for anything or waters ever. His lawn is thick and green. PLUS it's a foot tall front and back. He spends zero on his lawn. Doesn't even own a mower LOL. :roll:

slomo

User avatar
Suburban Jungle Life
Posts: 1332
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:34 pm
Location: MD/DMV
Grass Type: TTTF, FF, Zoysia
Lawn Size: 10k
Mower: Spinning Machete
Contact:

Re: N-Ext Products

Post by Suburban Jungle Life » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:27 am

slomo wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:39 pm
Wolverine wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:36 pm
I have RGS and green effect. I am running both of the products since spring along with milorganite, chicken pellet fert, pot ash combo and my turf is thick and deep green. I will switch to the the fall n blitz soon but for now very happy with N-ext products.
Sounds just like my "animal" neighbors yard. He never mows, fertilizes, aerates, sprays for anything or waters ever. His lawn is thick and green. PLUS it's a foot tall front and back. He spends zero on his lawn. Doesn't even own a mower LOL. :roll:

slomo
Please clarify. Wolverine said he takes care of his yard but to you that sounds like an "animal" yard which isn't kempt?

slomo
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:35 pm
Location: OKC, OK
Grass Type: bermuda- Tifway

Re: N-Ext Products

Post by slomo » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:58 am

Suburban Jungle Life wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:27 am
slomo wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:39 pm
Wolverine wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:36 pm
I have RGS and green effect. I am running both of the products since spring along with milorganite, chicken pellet fert, pot ash combo and my turf is thick and deep green. I will switch to the the fall n blitz soon but for now very happy with N-ext products.
Sounds just like my "animal" neighbors yard. He never mows, fertilizes, aerates, sprays for anything or waters ever. His lawn is thick and green. PLUS it's a foot tall front and back. He spends zero on his lawn. Doesn't even own a mower LOL. :roll:

slomo
Please clarify. Wolverine said he takes care of his yard but to you that sounds like an "animal" yard which isn't kempt?
Please read my comment again sir. I never mentioned or even know who Wolverine is. My point was some people take zero care of their yard and still have a great lawn. Didn't say great looking "IN MY NEIGHBOR'S CASE SIR". Not Wolverine or anyone else. My neighbor that lives next door to me. Oh was your comment sarcasm? I just got it. Good one......... The animal comment and someone named Wolverine. LOL

slomo

User avatar
g-man
Moderator
Posts: 6964
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:32 pm
Location: Fishers, IN
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Re: N-Ext Products

Post by g-man » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:45 am

@slomo

You quoted Wolverine applying different products and then said: "Sounds just like my "animal" neighbors yard." It reads that you are comparing Wolverine to your neighbor by the use of "Sounds just like..." I'm still not clear what are you trying to convey with your post by quoting Wolverine.

probasestealer
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:25 am
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Grass Type: Hybrid KBG/TTTF
Lawn Size: 7000
Mower: Honda HRX 21"

Re: N-Ext Products

Post by probasestealer » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:58 pm

@slomo he doesn't open a mower? Isn't he in violation of a city ordinance?
Last edited by probasestealer on Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolverine
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:47 pm
Location: Michigan
Grass Type: KBG/PRG
Lawn Size: 16k
Mower: 2015 John Deere X300

Re: N-Ext Products

Post by Wolverine » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:13 pm

I think slomo is comparing my chicken pellet use to his neighbors animals poo and how it thickens a lawn.

Ridgerunner
Posts: 1161
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 4:35 pm
Location: E. Ohio
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 6500
Mower: Steiner 420, Honda

Re: N-Ext Products

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:48 pm

Miller_Low_Life wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:35 am
How often should you use these products?
I have the Air-8, RGS & Humic Acid.
I've applied the Air-8 once a month so far and applied the others just two weeks ago.
With regards to the HA component only. Studies have shown improved plant growth results up to soil ppm levels of 500. Levels in excess of 500 ppm have resulted in detrimental plant growth effects. Applying 9 oz of 12% HA/M would require more than 13,000 applications to approach that 500 ppm level. I am unaware of the detrimental levels for Seaweed/kelp extract. KOH is a high pH and highly caustic substance and detrimental levels would be dependent on a number of variables, but at recommended rates and application practices (washing off the plant), detrimental effects should be negligible if not non-existent.

User avatar
Suburban Jungle Life
Posts: 1332
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:34 pm
Location: MD/DMV
Grass Type: TTTF, FF, Zoysia
Lawn Size: 10k
Mower: Spinning Machete
Contact:

Re: N-Ext Products

Post by Suburban Jungle Life » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:47 am

Ridgerunner wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:48 pm
Miller_Low_Life wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:35 am
How often should you use these products?
I have the Air-8, RGS & Humic Acid.
I've applied the Air-8 once a month so far and applied the others just two weeks ago.
With regards to the HA component only. Studies have shown improved plant growth results up to soil ppm levels of 500. Levels in excess of 500 ppm have resulted in detrimental plant growth effects. Applying 9 oz of 12% HA/M would require more than 13,000 applications to approach that 500 ppm level. I am unaware of the detrimental levels for Seaweed/kelp extract. KOH is a high pH and highly caustic substance and detrimental levels would be dependent on a number of variables, but at recommended rates and application practices (washing off the plant), detrimental effects should be negligible if not non-existent.
As much as you want! Though, I did apply a similar product with similar % to RGS at 4oz/M in 90° and it yellowed the grass. Not irrigated. It rained a week later and it was all green then. Perhaps the grass didn't appreciate the kelp in high temps. Otherwise, others have poured the GCF products straight on the ground without any problems.

Delmarva Keith
Posts: 730
Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 8:06 am
Location: Coastal Sussex, Delaware
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20,000
Mower: Bigs & Littles

Re: N-Ext Products

Post by Delmarva Keith » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:04 am

I bought the 5 gal pack of Air8 and applied 9 oz per 1,000 about a week ago. Definitely didn’t hurt anything and the grass seemed to like it. Objective is to try to loosen up some areas with poor infiltration.

Image

User avatar
Suburban Jungle Life
Posts: 1332
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:34 pm
Location: MD/DMV
Grass Type: TTTF, FF, Zoysia
Lawn Size: 10k
Mower: Spinning Machete
Contact:

Re: N-Ext Products

Post by Suburban Jungle Life » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:18 am

Delmarva Keith wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:04 am
I bought the 5 gal pack of Air8 and applied 9 oz per 1,000 about a week ago. Definitely didn’t hurt anything and the grass seemed to like it. Objective is to try to loosen up some areas with poor infiltration.

Image
:lol: Nice! Keep us updated! I sprayed at 9oz/M twice, 1 month apart. Great results for me.

slomo
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:35 pm
Location: OKC, OK
Grass Type: bermuda- Tifway

Re: N-Ext Products

Post by slomo » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:21 pm

Wolverine wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:13 pm
I think slomo is comparing my chicken pellet use to his neighbors animals poo and how it thickens a lawn.
Too many scientists on this board. My comment was one person spending a ton of money and effort on a lawn to make it look nice. My neighbor spends zero and still has a thriving lawn. Ironic right? Hope I don't have to explain it again. :D

slomo

Post Reply