N-Ext Products

A place to discuss soil fertility and soil amendments
social port
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20K
Mower: Gravely ZT 42

Re: N-Ext Products

Post by social port » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:26 pm

@Delmarva Keith thanks for that information. My mix matches yours — about 36 oz in 4 gallons of water for about 4K.
I do not mix in a bucket, though—just in my tank. Perhaps I should take that extra step.

IMO, go ahead and spring for the RGS. I still haven’t figured out how AIR8+RGS = compaction cure (why, for example, would RGS help with compaction? Shouldn’t AIR-8 be sufficient for compaction), but I had a very nice color response in my fescue after RGS apps—the kind of color response I’m willing to pay for.

synergy0852
Grass Type: KBG/PR/TF
Lawn Size: 5000
Mower: Honda HRX217VYA

Post by synergy0852 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:42 pm

@social port I believe the idea is that AIR8 opens up the soil and RGS drives the roots down deep and that helps to lengthen the effects of relieving the compaction. Just my thoughts and I'm far from a pro here so take it with a grain of salt.

Delmarva Keith
Lawn Size: 20,000
Mower: Bigs & Littles

Post by Delmarva Keith » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:19 pm

social port wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:26 pm
@Delmarva Keith thanks for that information. My mix matches yours — about 36 oz in 4 gallons of water for about 4K.
I do not mix in a bucket, though—just in my tank. Perhaps I should take that extra step.

IMO, go ahead and spring for the RGS. I still haven’t figured out how AIR8+RGS = compaction cure (why, for example, would RGS help with compaction? Shouldn’t AIR-8 be sufficient for compaction), but I had a very nice color response in my fescue after RGS apps—the kind of color response I’m willing to pay for.
Plant response is the litmus test. I’m sold. :thumbup:

I’m really looking forward to Matt Martin’s Carbon-X too. If I understand it right it has RGS in it also. Now I really want to try it.

social port

Post by social port » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:07 pm

synergy0852 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:42 pm
@social port I believe the idea is that AIR8 opens up the soil and RGS drives the roots down deep and that helps to lengthen the effects of relieving the compaction. Just my thoughts and I'm far from a pro here so take it with a grain of salt.
That makes sense to me. Any time that I have attempted to understand exactly how AIR-8 works, I (with the help of others) end up arriving at two observations: In air-8, aeration happens by way of particle dispersions in the soil that are created by KOH and then again by enhanced root drive.
It would then make sense that any product that further stimulates root drive would lead to less compaction.

social port

Post by social port » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:13 pm

Delmarva Keith wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:19 pm
I’m really looking forward to Matt Martin’s Carbon-X too. If I understand it right it has RGS in it also. Now I really want to try it.
Me too!
JohnP may or may not be getting a little preview. I'm tuned into that thread like sirius xm.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6406

I'm excited to hear about your experience with RGS if and when you pull the trigger.

Delmarva Keith

Post by Delmarva Keith » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:05 pm

My “imagination” of what Air-8 does is to expand the clay particles nonuniformly. To give credit where due, this is based on an interpretation of some of the research @g-man did.

If so, this would break up the “shingling” of compacted clay particles.

Edit: to circle back again I just got the hyperlocal weather data from U Del. It rained over 5” over the course of the past two days. It is raining lightly again now. No standing water. That means infiltration rates have to be markedly improved. At least for my soil type and specific conditions, the Air-8 stuff is admittedly incredible. I’d say if someone has issues with standing water or infiltration, give it a try. It doesn’t seem it could hurt anything and might do for you what it did for me.
Last edited by Delmarva Keith on Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Suburban Jungle Life
Grass Type: TTTF, FF, Zoysia
Lawn Size: 10k
Mower: Spinning Machete

Post by Suburban Jungle Life » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:24 am

@Delmarva Keith Glad you gave it a shot. Air8 worked well for me and seems to be doing well for you too! So, then comes the question: Would you consider doing a core aeration again after seeing results from air8? I doubt I will except if a yard needs a lot of lime.

Delmarva Keith

Post by Delmarva Keith » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:32 am

Suburban Jungle Life wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:24 am
@Delmarva Keith Glad you gave it a shot. Air8 worked well for me and seems to be doing well for you too! So, then comes the question: Would you consider doing a core aeration again after seeing results from air8? I doubt I will except if a yard needs a lot of lime.
Ha! That’s a loaded question. Every year I core aerate my yard and I get a bunch of these weird broad leafed weeds that have a disfigured black sort of radish or small carrot shaped root. I can’t figure out what they are and they’re hard to kill. The ground must be loaded with its seeds from decades ago that remain viable.

Next year I want to get more KBG in my mix. I had planned to slit seed it in this year but the scheduling with other things just didn’t work out. I planted a fescue / KBG mix this year but I think it might have went down too late (9/30) to get much KBG going before it gets really cold.

So likely no, won’t be core aerating next year. :thumbup: So far the plan for 2019 is Air-8 Spring & Fall, maybe some RGS or Carbon-X when that comes out, slit seed in about 3 lbs / 1,000 KBG first week of Sept and wait. If the KBG fails, I would still have time to dump some fescue seed on it.

ryeguy
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 5000 sqft
Mower: Toro TimeMaster

Post by ryeguy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:29 pm

Is it still beneficial to apply n-ext products in months when growth is winding down? I'm following the DIY rate (each product monthly @ 3oz/1k) and wondering if it's a waste to do this month and next even though growth is minimal.

social port

Post by social port » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:56 am

ryeguy wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:29 pm
Is it still beneficial to apply n-ext products in months when growth is winding down? I'm following the DIY rate (each product monthly @ 3oz/1k) and wondering if it's a waste to do this month and next even though growth is minimal.
I really don't know. Assuming that you are talking about things like Air-8, humic12, and RGS...From what I remember from my reading, I don't know of any guidance around the use of the products during the 'off-season.' Fall and spring seem to be the ideal time for applications for the products I've used.
I plan to use these products once more this year, but my high temps are still in the 60s. If they were at 40 or below, I'd knock it off for the year.

I'm not basing that on any definitive guidance. That is just how I am making my way with these products for right now.

slomo
Grass Type: bermuda- Tifway

Post by slomo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:32 am

ryeguy wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:29 pm
All you are doing is improving the soil. What's not to like?

slomo

Scagfreedom48z+
Grass Type: Cool season
Lawn Size: 30,000
Mower: Scag 48” Freedom z

Post by Scagfreedom48z+ » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:40 pm

Will carbonx be affordable for the homeowner? Seems like it’s only available in bulk and the pricing is through the roof.

ksturfguy
Lawn Size: 20,000 sqft
Mower: Gravely Pro-Stance

Post by ksturfguy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:10 pm

I thought they said in another thread that it was just available in bulk for now which to me says it wont even be available to homeowners. Maybe that will change.
Last edited by ksturfguy on Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnP
Grass Type: KBG / TTTF
Lawn Size: 5,000 Sq Ft
Mower: Ego 21" SP

Post by JohnP » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:47 pm

@Scagfreedom48z+ @ksturfguy from what I understand the supply chain is starting with the Pros first before moving to homeowner. There will be a homeowner line but we have to wait.

We’re not the ones making moves for a full growing season of multiple properties in 2019. ;)

Give ‘em time, in the mean time get on the list.

Scagfreedom48z+

Post by Scagfreedom48z+ » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:40 am

JohnP wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:47 pm
@Scagfreedom48z+ @ksturfguy from what I understand the supply chain is starting with the Pros first before moving to homeowner. There will be a homeowner line but we have to wait.

We’re not the ones making moves for a full growing season of multiple properties i@Scagfreedom48z+
Give ‘em time, in the mean time [url=https://carbonearth.co/contact-us/]get on the list[/url@Scagfreedom48z+

I did notice on the GCF website that there will be 50 lb bags that can cover 20k+ square feet

Scagfreedom48z+

Post by Scagfreedom48z+ » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:43 am

I did notice on the GCF website that there will be 50 lb bags that can cover 20k+ square feet. Hmmmm...
Last edited by Scagfreedom48z+ on Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel K0rn
Grass Type: Royal Bengal Bermuda
Lawn Size: 13k
Mower: Toro GM Flex 21

Post by Colonel K0rn » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:20 pm

Scagfreedom48z+ wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:43 am
I did notice on the GCF website that there will be 50 lb bags that can cover 20k+ square feet. Hmmmm...
I believe that Pete was rolling his own fertilizer that is separate from CarbonX, because Matt even wondered where he was getting those huge chunks of humate in his mix from.

To add to this discussion, I'm going to see if I can use the penetrometer from @BenC again to take some measurements from around my yard. I know that I've had improvements with water infiltration in the front and back yard on my lot. I'm sold on the products.
Last edited by Colonel K0rn on Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I tend to edit because I forgot to put something in my post.
CK's 2017 Reno thread
CK's 2018 Lawn Journal

Budstl
Grass Type: Fescue/kbg
Lawn Size: 12000
Mower: Ferris 36"

Post by Budstl » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:00 pm

JohnP wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:47 pm

We’re not the ones making moves for a full growing season of multiple properties in 2019. ;)

Give ‘em time, in the mean time get on the list.
Fwiw i asked greene county fert on facebook when it would be available to home owners and the reply was spring 2019.

Jconnelly6b
Grass Type: Cool season mix
Lawn Size: 13,500 sqft
Mower: Cub Cadet XT2 42”

Post by Jconnelly6b » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:31 pm

**Deleted, my assumption was incorrect**
Last edited by Jconnelly6b on Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jocoxVT
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 10K
Mower: Cub Cadet XT1 LT42

Post by jocoxVT » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:39 pm

Jconnelly6b wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:31 pm
I don't believe homeowners will be able to purchase the Carbon X directly, like we do for the GCF products. My understanding is Carbon X will only be sold in bulk (to distributors) and then we can purchase from them.
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but, while you would inevitably have to pay shipping even if its already incorporated in the price, The Lawn Care Nut has made several references that he would be carrying/selling for the homeowners. Actually said it in his most recent video as well.