Congrats to the winners of the TLF Spring 2019/4,000 Member Giveway!

Colonel K0rn's Journal

Warm season member lawn journals
Colonel K0rn
Grass Type: Royal Bengal Bermuda
Lawn Size: 13k
Mower: Toro GM Flex 21

Re: Colonel K0rn's lawn journal 2018

Post by Colonel K0rn » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:02 pm

BenC wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:23 pm
Nice Colonel- I always thought a green pool made your coat shinier. And while we're at it, when's the last time you had a manicure?!?!? This is really turning into Beauty Journal...
:wink: I'm sorry I don't have soft hands like some desk jockeys I know :laugh: Don't be surprised if you find a gift certificate to the Nail Spa made out to "The roughest-looking man with the softest hands" sitting on your desk in the future.
I tend to edit because I forgot to put something in my post.
CK's 2017 Reno thread
CK's Lawn Journal

BenC
Grass Type: Zoysia Zeon
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: Toro 216 triplex

Re: Colonel K0rn's lawn journal 2018

Post by BenC » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:27 am

Haha. You’re beautiful just the way you are colonel. Me on the other hand, could use all the help I can get

Colonel K0rn

Colonel K0rn's Journal 2019

Post by Colonel K0rn » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:59 pm

It's been a minute since I've posted, so I literally have been doing nothing to my yard except looking at it as I get in the vehicle and drive on to do work. My wife and I are working on a renovation project, and we've been busy since December, and I finally got a day to spend time in the yard. This was the first time I was able to do a Spring scalp, and it's a very dusty undertaking.

When I was scalping, I shuddered to recall that my front yard actually used to be loaded with Poa A. :o Image

As I'm typing this, I'm still a little achy from the multiple passes that I did with the reel to get it down to 0.250. I couldn't see dirt, so that's a good thing, indicating that my turf is a lot more dense than it was last year with PoaGeddon. For comparison's sake, here's what my yard looked like last year, and what it looked like yesterday.

I was able to use my rider to get it down to 1", but after that, it was all Flex 21 & Gorilla Cart action. Image

@Movingshrub hey, I wanted to let you know that the "Pile" has created yet another contender for large nuisance plants, Winter Variety...Image

In reality, this is the size of the plants that I was seeing. I counted less than 10 plants total in my lawn. If I haven't extolled the virtues of Specticle Flo enough, this is proof that the stuff works. It's a game changer, and if I have a problem with it in any future yard, this will be my go-to for PreM on grassy weeds during the winter.Image

Here's the difference between 0.500 and 0.250

All scalped, and ready to grow!I took this photo before I grabbed my edger, and landscaping scissors to clean up the rest of the yard, so you can see how tall it was around the mailbox and the growth over the concrete.Image
Last edited by Colonel K0rn on Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CK's 2017 Reno thread
CK's Lawn Journal

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: OEM 21" (by MTD); Fiskars 18"

Re: Colonel K0rn's Journal

Post by Green » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:26 pm

Huge improvement since last year! Looks like green-up will start any day now.
Let's hope for sufficient but not flooding rain this Spring and Summer.
Time for Spring pre-M!
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Confederate Lawn
Grass Type: Centipede/Carpetgrass/ St. Aug
Lawn Size: just shy of 1 acre
Mower: Deere D105 (riding 42")

Post by Confederate Lawn » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:37 am

Awesome Renovation dude!! I'm starting a journal this season also! hope my results are as good as yours but it is a different grass type and weed control/ fert approach.

social port
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20K
Mower: Gravely ZT 42

Post by social port » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:59 pm

I'm hoping for a great lawn year for you, CK. :thumbup: Green got it right: No more flooding.

Colonel K0rn

Post by Colonel K0rn » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:34 pm

I took a day off from the whole-house renovation that our company is doing to tend to some stuff at the house. I was able to get a quick mow in on the front, and take care of some pesky weeds that I've been avoiding along the Southern side of the house. I honestly have been so busy with the renovation, I have just been coming in and out of the front door. The first time I walked around the sides of the house was when I scalped the front yard. I noticed then that I had some weeds growing actively in the portion of the flowerbeds that I wanted to extend around the Southern portion of the house.

I got one of the small torches that use the 1# bottles of propane, and it worked well for some of the smaller weeds, but when it came to getting rid of doveweed, it was seemed slightly impervious to it. I mean, I had the torch cranked up, and a leaf here and there was glowing, but it wasn't wilting and turning into ash.

I opted to return to the store, and got the Lincoln Electric Inferno torch, and connected it to 20lb propane cylinder that I had at the house, and it made quick work of the weeds.

I started the mow earlier in the day, and was curious to see how the grass would look with a mow at the same HOC that I scalped at, which was 0.250, but it really looked bad. I raised the HOC up to 0.375, and it looked much better. We could use some rain, as some of the areas of my yard looked to be greening up a little slower than the rest of the yard, but we're supposed to get more rain tonight. If we don't get any measurable amount, I'll break out the water hoses.

It was nice to be able to look at the turf, and not see dirt. It seems that the density is improving, and I'm happy with the condition of it now.
CK's 2017 Reno thread
CK's Lawn Journal

tnlynch81
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4500
Mower: Rotary, Mclane 20"

Post by tnlynch81 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:47 pm

I have been following your thread since you started. Can't recall if you had a sedge issue but do you happen to know if the Septicle Flo does a good job on Sedges? My two biggest enemies are POA and sedges. Don't want to have to spend $$$ if Specticle Flo handles both well.

Colonel K0rn

Post by Colonel K0rn » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:24 pm

tnlynch81 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:47 pm
I have been following your thread since you started. Can't recall if you had a sedge issue but do you happen to know if the Septicle Flo does a good job on Sedges? My two biggest enemies are POA and sedges. Don't want to have to spend $$$ if Specticle Flo handles both well.
I do have issues with sedges(mainly kyllinga), and treat them with Certainty. Specticle Flo is listed to control Sedges and it's very effective at controlling Poa. I opted not to apply it this Spring and went with Prodiamine due to it being a very strong root pruner, and that was at the recommendation of @Greendoc.
CK's 2017 Reno thread
CK's Lawn Journal

Greendoc
Grass Type: All warm season turf
Lawn Size: Acres
Mower: Toro GM 1000

Post by Greendoc » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:15 pm

:thumbup:

drenglish
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG
Lawn Size: 10,000 sq feet
Mower: Troy Bilt & California Trimmer

Post by drenglish » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:11 pm

Hey @Colonel K0rn I hope you’re having a great day! I read your comment on Pete’s garden irrigation video about planting the annuals today. I’d love to see these at the start of the season again, as last year you influenced me into giving annuals a try. Whole lot of fun!