TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tif419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4.5k sq ft
Mower: California Trimmer, TruCut

Re: adgattoni's Lawn Journal

Post by SGrabs33 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:52 pm

Brackin4au wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:45 pm
No worries @adgattoni thanks for running. The experiment for us haha. I will certainly trust your findings. @SGrabs33 did you use pellets or the TR liquid?
Pellets. They did well tonight but only got about 1/4 inch I think. Should be getting more rain soon.

cglarsen
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 37,000 sf
Mower: Bradley 48 Stand-on Rotary

Post by cglarsen » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:51 pm

Excellent experimental design. I'm really interested in whether Humic is worth the money or just the latest/greatest offering from the industry.

adgattoni
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 16000
Mower: Greensmaster Flex 21

Post by adgattoni » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:28 pm

Topped off the test plots after work yesterday. FYI no noticeable different in color. I haven't done any of the other tests yet though (there may be increased root mass/improved flocculation that isn't visible/hasn't affected the topgrowth yet). One unexpected perk of CarbonX thus far is that the polycoated urea prills make it very easy to see where you're applying the product. I also added one more plot: Kelp4Less Extreme Blend.

Other recent apps/projects I haven't posted about:
- AMS (granular), HumicDG on the sprigged area - 6/14
- PGR, FEature, ammonium sulfate (foliar) - 6/15
- Bifenthrin, Celsius (blanket app since I broke my pre-emergent with the bluebird) - 6/18
- I've pulled about 100 or so plugs in the last week or so and have been transplanting them into the rye. I'll be ramping up the fertilizer out there to push growth.

I'm due for wetting agents so I'm also going to be applying that soon. Penterra on one side of the house and Tournament Ready everywhere else.

Pics:
It was raining earlier so I didn't get a good picture. Will try to get something better later.

All this rain and watering the sprigs has brought the ryegrass back from the dead.

FYI some of the yellowing in this one is from built up clippings from that major rain storm a couple weeks back. I was out of town and they sat on the turf for about a week.

Cleaned up my baby this past weekend.

adgattoni

Post by adgattoni » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:58 pm

Put down a cocktail of things on the ryegrass tonight:
- Quinclorac (0.367oz/1ksqft)
- Kelp4less Extreme Blend (~15-20g/1ksqft)
- Melatonin (2g/1ksqft)
- ~0.5 N worth of 13-13-13

adgattoni

Post by adgattoni » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:38 pm

Tournament Ready vs. Penterra Showdown

@Brackin4au @SGrabs33, I got the wetting agents applied today. Tournament Ready on one swale and Penterra on the other.

One interesting thing the Penterra does that the Tournament Ready doesn't: it's incredibly noticeable on the turf. It looks nothing like this when simply wet. FYI obviously I skipped the "no wetting agents" plot.

Just to confirm I didn't compromise the test plots by not applying wetting agent to all of the plots:

As a comparison shot, here are some pictures from a nice heavy rain recently (I've been behind on getting wetting agents reapplied):

Last edited by adgattoni on Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adgattoni

Post by adgattoni » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:42 pm

Ryegrass sure does stripe well! Got everything mowed today.

adgattoni

Post by adgattoni » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:25 pm

Got some pictures during that thunderstorm yesterday. Generally i saw improvements in percolation with both tournament ready and Penterra, but it seems the Penterra did a bit better. @SGrabs33 @Brackin4au

Tournament Ready

Penterra

This side showed improvement, just not as much as the Penterra side imo. Both work well for dry spots though.

Test plot update:
Generally about the same as the rest of the lawn thus far. Plugs were still difficult to pull. No apparent difference in floculation, rooting, color, or soil moisture.

CarbonX

Microgreen

Rgs

Air8

HumicDG

Control

No wetting agents

K4L extreme blend

Thinking about doing another verticut next weekend, spreading the sprigs, then doing a mid season scalp.
Last edited by adgattoni on Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

adgattoni

Post by adgattoni » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:57 pm

Doesn't really show up as clearly in pictures, but I think the Carbon-X plot looked slightly bluer than the rest of my lawn today:

adgattoni

Post by adgattoni » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:47 pm

New Air-8 Test

The area below is a low spot on my property and holds a lot of water. So much so that the ryegrass I had established here drowned out and died after I watered hourly for a week to encourage some sprigs to root (approximately an 80% fail, but I am starting to see patches of bermuda all over this area). Wetting agents alone have not improved water infiltration in this area. I plan to do a leveling project to improve the overall slope this area, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get to it this season (probably next season). Therefore, I'm going to start applying Air-8 to this entire area to see if anything improves. There won't be a control area for this, so the comparison point will be the other pictures in this thread (you can see a distinct spot where water has pooled in several pictures) and my own memories of how this area has held water for days after a rain (been here about 7 months now, and we had a pretty rainy Winter).

Not to scale but here is an updated test plot map:

Last edited by adgattoni on Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adgattoni

Post by adgattoni » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:37 pm

Started another project tonight. I've had an annoying dry spot right in front of the house. Finally did some screwdriver testing and unfortunately it's more impregnable than Mike Tyson's defense. Pretty sure the builder left a pile of gravel in this spot and the landscapers just sodded over it. About 2 inches down starts a 3-4 inch layer of gravel. I suppose the next few days will be digging all of this rock out.

adgattoni

Post by adgattoni » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:56 pm

Finished up the excavation project tonight. I ended up taking another 2 inches or so out of this hole after this pic was taken. It was dark when I finished so I don't have a pic of the finished project - will add one tomorrow showing the sod reinstalled.

Side note - after that massive storm this past weekend, I've decided to eliminate the mulch down the driveway idea. Half of it ends up in the road every time it rains anyway.

Sod reinstalled:

Last edited by adgattoni on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adgattoni

Post by adgattoni » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:24 pm

Started another project tonight. I am going to reset my HOC this weekend, so I wanted to make use of the material vs. just throwing it in the trash. I went over the back yard (approx. 5k sq ft) in one direction with the power rake, and made it half way across again going in a perpendicular direction. I was able to get enough material to cover about 1,000 square feet pretty heavily. I'm seeing little bits of bermuda here and there in the area I sprigged last time, but it's pretty sparse. This time I went heavier in a smaller area (I also have a better watering setup now). Will upload a picture of the finished product tomorrow, it was dark when I finished up.

cglarsen
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 37,000 sf
Mower: Bradley 48 Stand-on Rotary

Post by cglarsen » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:38 am

adgattoni wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:24 pm
Started another project tonight. I am going to reset my HOC this weekend, so I wanted to make use of the material vs. just throwing it in the trash. I went over the back yard (approx. 5k sq ft) in one direction with the power rake, and made it half way across again going in a perpendicular direction. I was able to get enough material to cover about 1,000 square feet pretty heavily. I'm seeing little bits of bermuda here and there in the area I sprigged last time, but it's pretty sparse. This time I went heavier in a smaller area (I also have a better watering setup now). Will upload a picture of the finished product tomorrow, it was dark when I finished up.

Did you rent that?

I'm interested in doing the same thing if it works. I've never gotten sprigs to take they just seem to die on me the next day or two. What's your process?

adgattoni

Post by adgattoni » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:14 pm

cglarsen wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:38 am
adgattoni wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:24 pm

Did you rent that?

I'm interested in doing the same thing if it works. I've never gotten sprigs to take they just seem to die on me the next day or two. What's your process?
I actually own the machine (got it on Craigslist for $300 - very happy with this purchase). To be fair my last sprigging project was not very effective so take my advice FWIW, hah.

Suspected root causes of the failure:
- I spread the sprigs too thin.
- Insufficient watering (only 4-5 times a day for the critical first week).
- No attempt to get better sprig-to-soil contact.
Results: a few patches of bermuda across a large area.

This time:
- Heavier layer of sprigs over a smaller area.
- 3 minutes of watering every hour around the clock (I got a new timer).
- I watered the sprigs for 10 minutes after spreading them, then I pressed them into the dirt with a lawn roller.

I also plan to add another cocktail of stress reducing products tonight (PGR/Melatonin/Wetting Agent/Humics/Micros/AMS).

Here's what it looked like this morning:

adgattoni

Post by adgattoni » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:06 pm

Sprigs are still looking good! I think laying it thick and watering hourly is going to work well. I started topdressing it with sand after work today but didn't get very far before dinner was ready.

adgattoni

Post by adgattoni » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:01 pm

Verticutting and 3/8" scalp project is complete. I would've went lower but I was too lazy to swap the high HOC brackets to the regular ones on my Flex 21. I have not done any leveling, so the answer to the question "can I get into reel mowing without a level lawn?" is YES. Test plots were topped off as well.

There is also another test going on in these pictures: can you stolonize scalp clippings? I obviously had a lot and thought this might be worth a try. If not I'll just call it a "carbon application."

Post verticutting/sprigging:

Post-scalp:

adgattoni

Post by adgattoni » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:20 pm

2019 soil test is back. Man, I know I gave the builder a hard time during construction, but it's like they pulled some strings to find the worst of the worst soil for my property.

Based on these results:
- Balanced fert the rest of the season.
- 40lb lime per 1ksqft.
- Gypsum as a Ca kicker (maybe it'll flocculate the soil a bit - let's see!).

Advice from the expert was provided here.

Last edited by adgattoni on Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

adgattoni

Post by adgattoni » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:27 pm

I'm really sick of the hose-end timer game, so I decided to build this contraption. I have an Orbit B-Hyve controller on the way to complete the job.