Warm season member lawn journals
Topic Author
Kballen11
Grass Type: Lat 36 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 5,000 sq ft
Mower: John Deere 220B

Kyle's Tahoma 31 Yard Install / Journal

Post by Kballen11 »

Hey everyone! We are building a house (in our current neighborhood) and are scheduled to move in middle of April. I was ecstatic when the builder told me I could install Tahoma 31! Well, I won't be installing it! But, the sod company they work with carries it. They just bricked the exterior and hung dry wall so hoping they will be pouring concrete for sidewalks and drive way soon. As you can see from the pictures, they still need to do some major grading and after the concrete install landscape materials and sod. Any suggestions on prep before sod is installed would be appreciated! I asked if I could come throw down some milo prior to install and they said no problem! I will try to update again when some progress has been made!

Ware
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Re: Kyle's Tahoma 31 Yard Install / Journal

Post by Ware »

Nice! And congrats! Anxious to see it!

Thor865
Grass Type: Tifgrand / Champion PRG
Lawn Size: 6,000 sqft
Mower: JD / Toro

Post by Thor865 »

Kballen11 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:42 pm
Hey everyone! We are building a house (in our current neighborhood) and are scheduled to move in middle of April. I was ecstatic when the builder told me I could install Tahoma 31! Well, I won't be installing it! But, the sod company they work with carries it. They just bricked the exterior and hung dry wall so hoping they will be pouring concrete for sidewalks and drive way soon. As you can see from the pictures, they still need to do some major grading and after the concrete install landscape materials and sod. Any suggestions on prep before sod is installed would be appreciated! I asked if I could come throw down some milo prior to install and they said no problem! I will try to update again when some progress has been made!

Make it as flat as possible, do it yourself if possible. You don’t want to get that new sod and realize you have tons of leveling to do. Sure there will be some variance in the sod but the little spot levels is better than several years worth.

Bermuda_Rooster
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2500 sq ft
Mower: Earthwise 7-Blade Push Reel

Post by Bermuda_Rooster »

Try to get out there between the day they get final grading done and the day they add topsoil and sod. If their subs are anything like ours, they will have buried or partially buried a whole lot of construction debris. The more of that you can get out and smooth back over, the better for eliminating problem spots and potential hazards (nails, screws, etc.).

Topic Author
Kballen11

Post by Kballen11 »

@Bermuda_Rooster I have been going over there about once a week and have been piling up debris on the curb 😂. I have to say, they have been good about hauling it off so I am going to keep on doing it!
Last edited by Kballen11 on Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
Kballen11

Post by Kballen11 »

Well they painted today, but I’m sure none of you care too much about that! I did take a soil sample in yesterday for testing. As I said earlier, we are moving into another house in our neighborhood so I am assuming the soil is at least similar to what I am dealing with now. But hey, it’s February and I’ll do about anything to get my hands dirty in the yard so I went for it. The biggest issue I have with current soil is it is very basic (high pH - I want to say close to 10, but I’ll double check that). Let’s pretend the soil in the new yard is also basic, is there much I can do in terms of dropping the soil pH pre install? I have about 75 lbs or so of pelletized sulfur on hand. The new yard will be around 3k sq ft. Would 75 lbs even make a difference? Anyway, I’ll post when I have another update or when I get my soil results back.

Redtwin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 20K sf
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Post by Redtwin »

I'm digging the shaker gables. It creates a nice contrast. I'm looking forward to the progress.

Topic Author
Kballen11

Post by Kballen11 »

Redtwin wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:28 am
I'm digging the shaker gables. It creates a nice contrast. I'm looking forward to the progress.
Thanks, @Redtwin ! We almost painted it white but there are so many white farm houses in the neighborhood we decided to do something different. I think it turned out well!

Topic Author
Kballen11

Post by Kballen11 »

Been playing around with the irrigation tutorial website (really cool if you haven’t checked it out). That being said, they will be installing my irrigation system in the next few weeks so I figured I would go ahead and draw out what I think would work best :twisted: . I have little experience with this but the tutorial does an awesome job taking you step by step in trying to figure it out. Before I get to far I wanted to post this here and get some feedback. The irrigation company told me they tap into the main and the psi is about 100 (I have my own concerns about this!) and the GPM I computed was 12 GPM. With the mp rotors for this zone the total GPM is only 5 GPM. My question is more about my coverage. They tutorial said it is best to have equilateral triangles. I got as close as I could without a lot of under spray or over spray. Am I going to over water the middle of the zone? Under water the corners? @Ware any thoughts? I am open to all criticism and drew it in pencil anticipating I’d need to make changes.

Daddylonglegs
Grass Type: U3 Bermuda Sod
Lawn Size: 4200 sq ft
Mower: McLane 20" 10 blade - 6.5 HP

Post by Daddylonglegs »

Nice looking place! I’m from the area and really familiar with that neighborhood. I really like the style of homes they build. Really cool they are getting you some high quality turf too. Just in time to get the season started too!

Topic Author
Kballen11

Post by Kballen11 »

@Daddylonglegs you'll have to come by sometime! I am always wanting to meet local grass enthusiasts. Maybe I should say lawn enthusiasts haha!

Topic Author
Kballen11

Post by Kballen11 »

Well I am certainly no expert at designing sprinkler systems but I have been reading more and more and I think I have my first two zones how I want them. If anyone has anything to add jump in. I still need to do my side and back yards.

Oklahoma31
Grass Type: Tahoma 31 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 35,000
Mower: Swardman, Gravley, Toro Timema

Post by Oklahoma31 »

Tahoma 31 is the most amazing grass you will ever see. I just did Tahoma in front yard and Tiftuff in the back. The Tahoma is light years better than the tiftuf.

Oklahoma31
Grass Type: Tahoma 31 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 35,000
Mower: Swardman, Gravley, Toro Timema

Post by Oklahoma31 »

FYI, Let the irrigation guys place your irrigation heads. Then if you have problem areas its on them to reposition or change heads. Also lay 1 inch of sandy loam and water it a bit then level it again by hand. right before they lay sod.

Meximusprime
Grass Type: Celebration/Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 5000 sq ft
Mower: California Trimmer

Post by Meximusprime »

This should be interesting!

MeanDean
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 6k sqft
Mower: JD 220SL

Post by MeanDean »

Oklahoma31 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 3:02 pm
Tahoma 31 is the most amazing grass you will ever see. I just did Tahoma in front yard and Tiftuff in the back. The Tahoma is light years better than the tiftuf.
It's interesting you say this because Tiftuf beat Tahoma 31 in nearly every NTEP test conducted and ranked considerably higher for overall turf quality.

I'm actually torn between the 2 and was surprised to see Tiftuf perform so much better throughout all their tests.