Thor865
Grass Type: Tifgrand / Champion PRG
Lawn Size: 6,000 sqft
Mower: JD / Toro

Re: MQ's Lawn Journal

Post by Thor865 »

Mightyquinn wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:46 pm
Thank you, that's good to know even though I don't plan on ever cutting mine with a rotary :) I don't own one anyway.
Rotary is a must for cleanup purposes

Topic Author
Mightyquinn
Grass Type: Sandy Dirt---->TifGrand ST-5
Lawn Size: 8,000 ft²
Mower: Baroness LM56(x2)

Post by Mightyquinn »

Thor865 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:35 pm
Mightyquinn wrote:
Thank you, that's good to know even though I don't plan on ever cutting mine with a rotary :) I don't own one anyway.
I use to think that also but I have been able to do a really good clean up with my Baroness the last two years and never used my rotary, so I ended up selling it to a friend of mine. I usually use the groomer set really low or the brush attachment to get most of the debris and I will put on an old bedknife so that I won't dull my good one with all the sand and dirt. I also usually rake up all the large debris first as I have found that to be more efficient as I am not having to stop and empty the bag after every pass.

I'm by no means trying to say my method is the best and if a rotary works for you then by all means keep up what you are doing :thumbup:

ENC_Lawn
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Princess 77 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 14,000
Mower: California Trimmer

Post by ENC_Lawn »

Thor865 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:34 pm
ENC_Lawn wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:10 pm
@Thor865 Thanks for the pic.

How often do you have to cut with the rotary at that height?
I didn’t use PGR on that section this season so I mowed it every 4-5 days. Literally took me 5min as it’s only 1k sqft
:thumbup:

Thor865

Post by Thor865 »

Mightyquinn wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:08 am
Thor865 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:35 pm
Mightyquinn wrote:
I use to think that also but I have been able to do a really good clean up with my Baroness the last two years and never used my rotary, so I ended up selling it to a friend of mine. I usually use the groomer set really low or the brush attachment to get most of the debris and I will put on an old bedknife so that I won't dull my good one with all the sand and dirt. I also usually rake up all the large debris first as I have found that to be more efficient as I am not having to stop and empty the bag after every pass.

I'm by no means trying to say my method is the best and if a rotary works for you then by all means keep up what you are doing :thumbup:
Well for me if it ain’t broke.....ya know lol

ENC_Lawn
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Princess 77 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 14,000
Mower: California Trimmer

Post by ENC_Lawn »

Thor865 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:41 pm
@ENC_Lawn @Mightyquinn this is Tifgrand rotary mowed around 2”. My side yard is a swamp thanks to my neighbors crawl space sump pump that empty’s over there. It looks fine and haven’t had any issues with doing that section with a rotary.

@Thor865 What was your Rotary HOC here?

To me the turf has a pretty cool "look" to be rotary cut!

I have always liked the golf course rough to fairway look!

Thor865

Post by Thor865 »

ENC_Lawn wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:14 pm
Thor865 wrote:
@ENC_Lawn @Mightyquinn this is Tifgrand rotary mowed around 2”. My side yard is a swamp thanks to my neighbors crawl space sump pump that empty’s over there. It looks fine and haven’t had any issues with doing that section with a rotary.

@Thor865 What was your Rotary HOC here?

To me the turf has a pretty cool "look" to be rotary cut!

I have always liked the golf course rough to fairway look!
2”

Topic Author
Mightyquinn

Getting Ready to Spray

Post by Mightyquinn »

Another update, the guy that got the sod was planning to come by today and get the rest of the trimmings around the edges but said he was good with what he had and he had family coming in this weekend so wouldn't have been able to do it anyway. He did send me this pick of his(my old) lawn.

Now the plan is to spray everything tomorrow with the Gly/Fusilade mix and give it a week or two to do it's thing before going any further. After that I will plan on renting a sod cutter and cutting out the rest of the big stuff out of the lawn and then reassess the lawn to see if I have anymore green coming up. I really want to run the verticutter over the lawn to help smooth everything out and clean it up a bit. But that will have to wait. I also applied some 10-10-10 the other day right before it was suppose to rain so hopefully that will help it take in the poison it's suppose to get here soon.

For anyone reading this and think that you will hurt your Bermuda lawn just look at the pictures below. This was all cut 2-3 weeks ago and the sod cutter was set at 1.5" below the soil. I could technically not do anything else to the lawn and I could almost guarantee that I would have a full lawn by July easily. This is why Bermuda is an ALPHA grass :D

Thor865

Post by Thor865 »

That’s pretty epic seeing your lawn transplanted to his.

Brodgers88
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Latitude 36 Bermuda, Centipede
Lawn Size: 4M Lat36,4M Centiped
Mower: Toro GM1000

Post by Brodgers88 »

Almost looks like a fraze mow!

Can't wait to see your new turf :thumbup:

TheE
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4300
Mower: Toro

Post by TheE »

Thor865 wrote:

Looks awesome! Do you have any other pictures of your Tifgrand that is cut with a rotary?

Thor865

Post by Thor865 »

TheE wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:45 pm
Thor865 wrote:

Looks awesome! Do you have any other pictures of your Tifgrand that is cut with a rotary?
Probably some in my 2019 and 2020 journal. I don’t often take photos of that side

jayhawk
Grass Type: zoysia; tifgrand beauty strip
Lawn Size: Yuuuge 2500
Mower: TruCut

Post by jayhawk »

Cool story. I was expecting you to go full vanguard....miniv or ? (Not quite to zoysia though ;))

I'd still chose grand, it's imo the best low cut muda I just wonder how much harder is it to get going fwd when tiftuff has the marketing. Pics don't even convey it's goodness of tifgrand ....it's details.

Topic Author
Mightyquinn

Post by Mightyquinn »

jayhawk wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:30 am
Cool story. I was expecting you to go full vanguard....miniv or ? (Not quite to zoysia though ;))

I'd still chose grand, it's imo the best low cut muda I just wonder how much harder is it to get going fwd when tiftuff has the marketing. Pics don't even convey it's goodness of tifgrand ....it's details.
I had considered doing an Ultra Dwarf lawn but the costs and sourcing the grass would have been difficult plus from what little info that is out there it seems like most of them will get excess thatch build up if grown too tall plus all the extra TLC they require to stay healthy. It would be fun to have a little patch of it to play around with and see what could be done with it from a homeowners perspective. As for Zoysia varieties, I thought about that also but I just didn't want to mess around with Zoysia as it seems to be a little more temperamental and not as forgiving as Bermuda is. I think it produces a beautiful lawn but I have just never been a fan of it for some reason.

I agree with the TifTuff, it seems like they are shoving that stuff down our throats as there is a ton of info about it out there when you do a Google search but can't hardly find any info about TIfGrand and it's been out for so much longer. To me, TifTuff just seems like an improved variety of 419 and like most marketing the claims they make are only under perfect conditions, just like all the claim they made about TifGrand when it came out. There are 3 farms around me that sell TifGrand, so that was very helpful and I hope it stays around for awhile as it seems like the premier grass if you like to reel mow low.

Ware
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Post by Ware »

Bump for update.

Topic Author
Mightyquinn

Post by Mightyquinn »

There is no real update at this time. I sprayed the lawn last week with 2oz/M of Round Up ProMax--.5oz/M of Fusilade II--.5oz of NIS in about 1 gallon of water/M. I also added about 6lbs of AMS into the mix to use the rest of what I had up and to help the bermuda take in the poison. I had some leaf tip burn after a day or two and it's starting to lose it's color of what started to grow back and what was left over. There seems to be few spots that are still dark green so I will probably hit those areas again next weekend and will probably update with some pictures.

My OCD wants to tear out what is left over and run the verticutter over the lawn to help smooth things out as having patches all over the lawn is driving me nuts but I know I need to wait to get the final results that I want.