Warm season member lawn journals
Topic Author
mower_go_meow
Grass Type: Bermuda & Fescue
Lawn Size: 13k
Mower: Honda 3in1 21”

Mower_go_meow’s Journal

Post by mower_go_meow »

Hello everyone, first time home owner in North Carolina. Never took care of a lawn beforehand as we had lawn service growing up. I closed on 11/2020 but made sure I had the essential equipment beforehand (priorities).

I initially wanted a toro time master but decided financially I should hold off until spring. I found a 3-in-1 21” honda on Facebook marketplace for 150.
I noticed the right side wheel seemed loose. Took it apart and saw the groove on the shafts for the c-clip was gone so the gear was tossing around inside the wheel cavity. I ended up drilling a hole on the shaft (fun) and used a cotter pin with a different stack of washers.

Yard goes as follows:
6k sqft back yard of Bermuda (not sure of cultivar)
5k sqft front yard of Fescue

Lawn is well established through out.

After spending a lot of time on this forum and on YouTube I discovered reel mowing. Given that I grew up golfing and love lawn care I decided that reel mowing would be the ticket. I decided to pick up two mowers from the weeks auction.
It was an 800 mile roundtrip but worth it. Got a 220c and a gm1000. Not sure which one I want to keep as they are both great units. The gm1000 needed more work to get running as it looks to have sat for a longer period. My logic for now is to keep the gm1000 for scalping as it has a 14 reel blade and the 220c for every day use.

220c fired right up after putting fresh gas and new oil.
GM1000 needed fresh gas, carb cleaning, oil, spark plug, and exhaust valve adjustment.
Pilot jet was vibrating itself away from the proper setting causing the rpm to raise at idle.

Still need to adjust the cutting units on both mowers. Both have reel diameters within the acceptable operational range. Looking forward to sharing my adventures on here as I learn along the way.

Bonus pic: used the JD with the reel off to lay some stripes on the front yard.

The_iHenry
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda?
Lawn Size: 3,500 sqft
Mower: Greensmaster 1600

Re: Mower_go_meow’s Journal

Post by The_iHenry »

Already looking better with the stripes!

Topic Author
mower_go_meow

Post by mower_go_meow »

The_iHenry wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:04 am
Already looking better with the stripes!
Thank you! Backyard is completely dormant so I’ll have to keep playing in the front till the season.

BakerGreenLawnMaker
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: St Augustine/Royal Zoysia
Lawn Size: 7000 front/2500 back
Mower: TruCut 27”

Post by BakerGreenLawnMaker »

Looking good already. Welcome to TLF and welcome to the reel boys club! 8-) :thumbup: :nod:

Topic Author
mower_go_meow

Post by mower_go_meow »

BakerGreenLawnMaker wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:04 am
Looking good already. Welcome to TLF and welcome to the reel boys club! 8-) :thumbup: :nod:
Thank you! Really enjoying the wealth of information on this website.