Warm season member lawn journals
Topic Author
UltimateLawn
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 4,800 sqft
Mower: Honda HRX217HYA

Re: UltimateLawn's DFW St. Augustine Journal

Post by UltimateLawn »

@Amoo316 , so will Dismiss take out the nutlet? I'm starting to wonder if Halosulfuron, Sulfosulfuron, or Sulfentrazone are truly effective at killing the nutlet and hopefully the neighboring ones in the soil.

I guess my strategy is to look for them to popup, drop some Dismiss as they do and then hope that after a year of so of this they will be eliminated. Wishful thinking?

Most of these are in my beds because they receive more water and hold more moisture in the mulch. Whoever put in my irrigation system decided to have beds and lawn on the same zones. For next year, I'm planning on putting in some drip lines for the beds in the hope that will help eliminate the broader and extra moisture in the beds.

Amoo316
Grass Type: Centipede/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2acres
Mower: Scag Cheetah II 61"

Post by Amoo316 »

Sulfentrazone has a better pre-M effect then any of the sulf-ureas. It also definitely kills off more tubers then Halo per the study in the video. Less tubers should lead to less nutlets.

Because you're just playing whack-a-mole with sedges as they pop up, I don't know the extent of the damage you're actually doing to the nutlets and tubers.

Just something to think about, I had never treated for sedges or kyllinga before this year. The centipede was too thick to allow them through. I'm assuming you're seeing the same with your St. Aug. They are there, they're just not able to get through the grass. As soon as I decimated a majority of my Centipede, I immediately had loads of kyllinga and sedges. What I'm suggesting is you probably have more healthy nutlets & tubers then you realize, but they are only able to surface in the beds for the most part.

Killing the nutlets and tubers is a multi year process no matter what product you use.

Topic Author
UltimateLawn

Post by UltimateLawn »

@Amoo316 ....thanks for the insight! Yes, I do know that I have some nutsedge in my StAug, but it mixes in with the turf.

Maybe I can use the Halosulfuron as a broadcast on the StAug and the Sulfentrazone as spot in the beds. Here are the latest nutsedge photos 6 days of using Dismiss...

Topic Author
UltimateLawn

Post by UltimateLawn »

Mowed At 4", Edged and Trimmed. Moderate temps today with some cloud cover. Lawn is looking good with a break from the heat. Also turned over some of the Spring mulch to get it a bit fresher looking and ready for the Fall.

Applied the below with my backpack sprayer...

RGS @ 3 floz / 1,000 ft²
Talstar-P - Bifenthrin @ 1 floz / 1,000 ft²
Eagle Fungicide - Myclobutanil 19.7% @ 1.2 floz / 1,000 ft²

Teejet AIC11003 (blue) nozzle @ 60 psi, flow rate of 0.8 floz / second.

The new sod continues to root in so good results thus far.

Topic Author
UltimateLawn

Post by UltimateLawn »

Dropped the last of the CoRon 18-3-6 + 0.5% Fe. I'm still working out the differences it is making, but I want to push growth and green a bit before we get too far into September. It is very easy to mix and spray. Very low viscosity and no overwhelming smell afterwards.

I applied 0.5 lbs of Nitrogen per 1,000 ft². This is 33 floz of CoRoN per 1,000 ft². I get just a bit over two apps @ 0.5 lbs on my 4,500 ft². This app finishes it out for the season.

Sprayed with a TeeJet XRC11015 (light green). It laid out a nice coarse drop at high pressure on the grass blades. I call it a 'spray paint' sort of experience. Sprayed in the evening at about 90° F and will let it sit foliar and then sprinkle in at 4:00am tomorrow morning.

It reached 100° F this afternoon. Brutal. The replacement sod is bearing it, but I'm having to chase it with regular hand watering.

Topic Author
UltimateLawn

Post by UltimateLawn »

Grey spot fungus is coming on again. We had some relief rain earlier today and I was caught in it during the mow. Was able to finish without too much concern (other than the neighbors looking out of their windows).

I think I am going to start sticking with limited foliar applied nitrogen for fear that it is promoting leaf spot fungus. Between the bermudagrass and fungus, I'm thinking of giving up on any nitro-based fert. Or at least go to a granular application only.

Planted some Hibiscus, Coleus, Sedum and still looking for a spot to plant a Mexican Bird of Paradise tree that my wife had to have.

Today's mow @ 4" with edge and trim...

Topic Author
UltimateLawn

Post by UltimateLawn »

Mowed last night at 4". Wonderful cooler weather and rains this morning. Lawn is responding favorably.

Dropped some Azoxy and Bifen the evening of September 6th. This year I am running with a full TARR strategy going into Fall and early Spring. This season it was a brutal beginning chasing the TARR symptoms.

Latest pics from the flowering plants drop and transplants on September 4th...

I am in app-withdrawal, so I'm thinking of dropping some micro-nutrients. I want to finish out some of my remaining micro-nutrients before the season end.

leefjl63
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000 sq ft
Mower: Kobalt 80v

Post by leefjl63 »

What's the TARR strategy?

Topic Author
UltimateLawn

Post by UltimateLawn »

According to my informal research...multiple preventative Fall apps of Azoxystrobin. I will also blend in some Myclobutanil (Eagle) - also at preventative rates. In very early spring I'll drop two more apps. Only if I see the yellowing effects or root rot, then I'll do a curative app. Here is an excerpt from a Bayer article on TARR...

Topic Author
UltimateLawn

Post by UltimateLawn »

Also ran soil temps today. Shady areas are coming in at 70° soil temp, so dropped the first of two Fall rounds of pre emergents...
  • Prodiamine WDG (65% Prodiamine) - 0.183 oz / 1,000 ft² - Only drop for the Fall 1 app, not Fall 2
  • Princep (41.9% Simazine) - 0.37 floz /1,000 ft²
  • Specticle Flo (7% Indaziflam) - 0.138 floz / 1,000 ft²
Temps are starting to come down from 95°+ and the St Aug is responding nicely. Hopefully the pre emergent app doesn't slow things down before outside temps really cool down. Given the multi-MOA pre-em app and a bit heavy Specticle Flo and Prodiamine drop, I'm thinking I will wait 45 days (~ October 22nd) before the second app.

I did end up spraying the edge of a front yard bed before realizing that I was set to plant some bulbs as we go into winter. I'll probably mix up the mulch/soil and amend before the bulbs go in the ground. Hopefully that will help. All other beds were untouched. I also hit some traditional weed-heavy areas with a double pass.

This officially marks my third time to drop liquid-based pre emergents. I'm having fun with it, but learning more and adjusting technique each time.

leefjl63

Post by leefjl63 »

Looks like azoxy + propiconazole combined would be effective

https://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/take-all ... t-in-turf/

Topic Author
UltimateLawn

Post by UltimateLawn »

@leefjl63 , I've pulled Propiconazole out of my rotation and replaced it with Eagle/Myclobutanil. It is the same FRAC Code 3 - Cell Membrane Disrupters. It is also a recommendation from Texas A&M (see excerpt below).

I keep hearing that Propiconazole has a growth regulation or slow-down effect on St Augustine, so I figure just shift to what is recommended as an option. I also add Thiophanate-Methyl as well. I ran out of my TM for this season, but will pick some more up as we enter early Spring.

@Greendoc mentions about propiconazole and warm season growth regulation impacts - viewtopic.php?p=230263#p230263

Topic Author
UltimateLawn

Post by UltimateLawn »

Dropped some fresh cedar mulch in our backyard garden beds. Also sprayed my pre emergent mix on a neighbor's lawn. She has had a traditionally heavy winter weeds including rescuegrass, oxallis and henbit. We'll see how things turn out this year.

Mowing tomorrow, but starting to give some real thought as to what to do with my front beds. I picked up some tulip bulbs. Hopefully these will work out. Seems pretty complex, but I figured why not.

Topic Author
UltimateLawn

Post by UltimateLawn »

Mowed at 4" on Sunday morning.

Cooler temps and less heat stress is really helping the lawn. The full extent of bermudagrass growth is now apparent. I'd say about 650 ft² of StAug will need to be replaced in the Spring to keep it back. Too late in the year for any sod drops and I have some spaces and level adjustments that need to be made. Most of my leveling I do in the Spring before growth kicks it. It is a lot easier to cut to a lower level, see the soil condition and do leveling from there. Trying to level StAug when the blades are at 4" just doesn't work. My leveling plan is to top dress just as before with a mix of Peat and mason sand. This worked really well this past Spring.

The Hosta garden is starting to rebound. Many of the hosta plants simply could not thrive in our hot north TX sun. While there is shade in many part of the area I have the hostas, there are still about 4-5 hours at the height of Summer when they just get blasted with the sun. Some did better than others. Once they go dormant I am going to move some around to help things out.

Recently planted Hibiscus, Coleus and Sedum are doing quite well. My transplanted Salvia's are surviving. I think they are going to handle the change in time before winter sets in. A transplanted Lantana moved from my back yard to the front yard is pretty much dead - as is the Mexican Bird of Paradise tree. Another victimless plant killed because my significant other felt it looked really good at the nursery but I didn't have a place to plant it where it would thrive. :cry: My Lantanas planted in the Spring have really done well this year. Fantastic plant.

Some grey leaf spot persists. I'm dropping some Myclobutanil Eagle before the end of the week to help keep things under control.

Laid 0.5 lbs Nitro / 1,000 ft² of Lesco 24-0-11 on the lawn with the hand spreader. Also dropped some Milo in the garden beds. Kind of a last feeding as we approach cooler weather. Both of these should be my last Nitro drops for the year.

Putting my tulip bulbs in the fridge tomorrow in prep for an early December planting.

Some latest pics...

dubyadubya87
Grass Type: Zoysia/Bermuda, St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 5700
Mower: 20" High Cut Cali Trimmer

Post by dubyadubya87 »

Very nice variety and well cared for. I'm a lantana fan myself. Especially in Texas, almost a plant it and forget it species.

Topic Author
UltimateLawn

Post by UltimateLawn »

@dubyadubya87 , I'm so busy with the grass that I really like low maintenance shrubs!

Topic Author
UltimateLawn

Post by UltimateLawn »

Put down 2ea yds³ of Aged Finely-Ground Pine Bark Mulch. This was applied for Fall bed prep. This is my first time to use pine bark mulch, but I hear it is very popular with local gardeners.

Planting Pansies in October and Tulip & Narcissus bulbs in December (already chilling in the frig). This will be my first year for both and my expectations are probably higher than they should be. All is going well, but my biggest concern in attack by the squirrels. They really like my front beds for digging and retrieving their pecans and acorns. I may have to construct a physical barrier that doesn't look too bad. Still working through this option, but I have until December.

Sprayed my last pesticide app of the year, Talstar-P *Bifenthrin) @ 1 floz / 1,000 ft².
Also sprayed my last Eagle / Myclobutanil @ 2.4 floz / 1,000 ft². Wow, this stuff is odorous. I sprayed it in the early evening and they are both sitting foliar. Hopefully the neighbors aren't too upset at the odor. If I could find another similar Group 1 MOA then I could change. At least I emptied the bottle. I'm set to water in at 4:00am.

Topic Author
UltimateLawn

Post by UltimateLawn »

Mowed at 4" this morning. Hopefully last 100° afternoon for the year.

Topic Author
UltimateLawn

Post by UltimateLawn »

Been a bit occupied elsewhere for journal updates....

Soil temps in the high 70's. Leaves dropping. Planted some pansies in the front beds.

Tulip and Daffodil bulbs get planted in early December.

No plans in the Spring to kill the common bermuda. I'm going to spend my money and efforts into other ways. Bermuda...you win. When the opportunity comes up for a reno I will probably shift over to Zoysia.

Hmmm....if Bermuda wins, is it time to purchase a reel mower?

leefjl63

Post by leefjl63 »

Dude...you told me to fight the Bermuda and now my lawn looks like crap 😄.

I'll let you know how my experiment is going.