Topic Author
RDZed
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Pat Bermuda/Mey Zoy/TTTF
Lawn Size: 12,500sf
Mower: 46" Husq rotary and beer

RDZed's Journal

Post by RDZed »

Hi all. Glad to be contributing after lurking for quite a while.

I’m getting a late start on my journal. Not many early pics but I hope some of you may finds some of this useful in the future.
Briefly, I’m a 47 year old retired Coastie born in Riverside, Ca and raised in Santa Barbara, Ca. I spent most of my Coast Guard career in Hawaii. Married 28 years and have one 16 year old daughter.

I’m now located in Virginia, on a tributary of the James River, the Appomattox River. Zone is 7b. I’ve lived in this house since 2005. My lawn area is just over 12,000 square feet with 8k of that being in front of the house. The property originally had a bunch of diseased hard woods in front that I had removed except for a willow oak. The previous over didn’t give af about anything and it showed.

So after being stuck in the TTTF loop of diminishing returns for 6 years in the front yard (faces due south and gets pummeled by summer sun for up to 14 hours a day), I decided to start the soil sterilization process in summer 2011 to prep for a spring 2012 Bermuda stolon installation. I laid down Glystar and highlighter every 14 days from late July until September. At that time I didn’t have an irrigation system so I sprayed as it needed it. After about 6 cycles with the gly and the summer heat, the front was smoked. I hit the fall and winter weeds as I saw them. By the time spring rolled around, the yard was a barren.

FF to May 2012. I picked up 80 bushels of Bermuda “Patriot” stolons. The cultivar was developed at OSU for use in transition zones because of its extreme cold hardiness. It’s a hybrid of Tifton 10 and C. transvaalensis.
Below are a few screen caps I pulled off of Google Street view a 5 days after I laid the stolons. Surprisingly, Google hasn’t updated the street view for my area since 2012. These images are still there after 7 years, lol.

Topic Author
RDZed
TLF Supporter

Re: RDZed's Journal

Post by RDZed »

So here is last Saturday. There have been quite a few changes to the landscape since 2012. The Oak is huge and had started to shade out a bunch of the bermuda. Same with the Maple on the left. The maple is going to be removed in the next few weeks because the 70+ inches of rain we picked up last year induced Black Tar disease. It isn’t dead but it will be in the next year or two. So im going to yank it and plug the area shortly.

Last edited by RDZed on Thu May 30, 2019 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
RDZed
TLF Supporter

Post by RDZed »

Last year in July I decided to plug Meyer Zoysia under the large oak to see what happens. A neighbor had some sod leftover and asked if I wanted it. Sure, why not, nothing else is growing there except old KBG. Wouldnt you know it, the Zoysia is starting to take off. Ill post a pic later today.

Im just going to let the bermuda and zoysia duke it out in the transition zone around the shadelines of the tree.

Topic Author
RDZed
TLF Supporter

Post by RDZed »

Unfortunately, I havent been able to make the transition to 'something other than TTTF' behind my house next to the river. Its still Fescue. Between it being north facing, the uber tall Lob Lolly pines and the house at 40' tall, nothing else will grow back there. Its basically a 20'x 200' strip running east to west. It gets maybe 4 hours of sun a day in summer.
Last edited by RDZed on Thu May 30, 2019 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic Author
RDZed
TLF Supporter

Post by RDZed »

I'll try to get some more pics up later today and I'll jot down my fert and amendment regimen in the next few days. Ive pretty much gone all in with the N-ext liquid this year and I have noticed quite a few changes to the soils and turf.

Bmossin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Celebration, Yukon, P77
Lawn Size: 5,000
Mower: Troy Bilt, 220B, 260B, Mclane

Post by Bmossin »

Beautiful property

Topic Author
RDZed
TLF Supporter

Post by RDZed »

Bmossin wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:55 pm
Beautiful property
Thanks man, it really is.

Topic Author
RDZed
TLF Supporter

Post by RDZed »

It's getting a bit dark but after the mow but I was able to take a few pics of the Meyer Zoysia and Bermuda duking it out...
Last edited by RDZed on Thu May 30, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
RDZed
TLF Supporter

Post by RDZed »

The zoysia just woke up about 5 weeks ago. Bermuda has been waking up for 7 weeks.

Topic Author
RDZed
TLF Supporter

Post by RDZed »

Random images around the property....

Topic Author
RDZed
TLF Supporter

Post by RDZed »

The TTTF is new from last fall. I smoked the fescue last summer, put down 16 yards of topsoil/sand blend because the back yard was slowly eroding towards the river, as it has been for years.

Fighting erosion and a river is tough.

tcorbitt20
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Celebration Bermuda
Lawn Size: 17000 sq ft
Mower: Tru Cut C27

Post by tcorbitt20 »

Looks great! Welcome!

Topic Author
RDZed
TLF Supporter

Post by RDZed »

Really liking the huge load of Humic Acid I've been putting down over the last 5 months. In late January, I put down 40#'s of Anderson's Humic DG. That and the 2 apps of Air-8 and 2 apps of Humic 12 have made a HUGE improvement in how my clay/pebble subsoil handles water. Especially down in the 2-3" range. My Bermuda roots haven't entered the 4" range yet but the soil is finally becoming 'soft' enough for it. It appears to have helped my Ph to stabilize a bit, for some reason...

Put down another gallon of Humic 12 in the front yard this past Monday (3June19) after doing a Humic 12/Greenpunch combo over Memorial day weekend. The Bermuda perked way up for about a 12 days, obviously from the GP and started to taper off thereafter.

I'm going to take some random 4" deep core samples around the front yard this weekend and a couple random 4" cores from the untreated back yard and compare them to some cores I did at this same time last year.

In the meanwhile, I had to panic mow in the rain tonight knowing we're about to get slammed with rain over the next 6 days. Precision was not an option...

Last edited by RDZed on Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
RDZed
TLF Supporter

Post by RDZed »

tcorbitt20 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:36 pm
Looks great! Welcome!
Thanks man!

sanders4617
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 15000
Mower: Husqvarna and Tru-Cut C27

Post by sanders4617 »

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing the cores from the treated vs non-treated areas!

cglarsen
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 37,000 sf
Mower: JD 2653a, Bradley 48 Stander

Post by cglarsen »

@RDZed Wow really nice job on the front yard. How do you lay stolons by the way and get them to stay put? How long does it take them to tack down?

Is the zyosia doing well in the shade? I have some areas that Bermuda is not wanting to grow and I want another warm season grass for those areas but wasn't sure how they'd mix.

I'm also considering TTTF for my back yard. It just doesn't have any Bermuda like the front does. How much more work is it maintaining Bermuda and Fescue together? Especially regarding herbicides and pre-emergent apps?

Topic Author
RDZed
TLF Supporter

Post by RDZed »

cglarsen wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:47 pm
@RDZed Wow really nice job on the front yard. How do you lay stolons by the way and get them to stay put? How long does it take them to tack down?

Is the zyosia doing well in the shade? I have some areas that Bermuda is not wanting to grow and I want another warm season grass for those areas but wasn't sure how they'd mix.

I'm also considering TTTF for my back yard. It just doesn't have any Bermuda like the front does. How much more work is it maintaining Bermuda and Fescue together? Especially regarding herbicides and pre-emergent apps?
TBH, I just laid the stolons super thick (3/4-1") and watered the snot out of them. In the past I've put down tree bark shavings and pine straw but it's always seemed to be a waste in the long run. Just straight stolons took 3 days to stick. A lot of watering though. 5-6 times a day in 10 min intervals.

The zoysia is doing surprisingly well, honestly. My expectations were really low. It's such a slow grower to begin with, being in the filtered sun/shade, it's even slower. I planted them on July 20th, last year. Here's a spot where the Bermuda and Zoysia have intermingled. Zoysia is on top and Bermuda is bottom...

I think once the zoysia has filled it, they'll complement each other quite well. There really isn't a huge difference in leaf textures between the Patriot and Meyer.
Last edited by RDZed on Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic Author
RDZed
TLF Supporter

Post by RDZed »

So in between rain drops, I took 2 core samples from my front yard which I've been religiously applying humic acid (Humic DG, Air8 and Humic 12) since January and 2 cores from my side and back yard which I haven't touched.

Very, very interesting results...

Top 2 plugs are humic treated, bottom are native soils which is clay, sand and pebble.
Last edited by RDZed on Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
RDZed
TLF Supporter

Post by RDZed »

Just did the "Finger Smoosh" test and the treated plugs have a sandy peanut butter consistency whereas untreated plugs are chunky, hard and not as uniform in color...
Last edited by RDZed on Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
RDZed
TLF Supporter

Post by RDZed »

So I gently rinsed the dirt away to see the roots, length and structures. Quite the difference...

Last edited by RDZed on Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.