Lawn Care Forum banner

Redtwin's Lawn Journal

148K views 475 replies 71 participants last post by  Redtwin 
#1 ·
I hand pulled a 5-gallon bucket full of varied broadleaf weeds (bittercrest, Carolina geranium, chickweed?) along with some perennial blue-eye grass starting to germinate and popcorn tree seedlings that are trying to take hold. I then spot sprayed some green kyllinga that's hanging on from last season with Dismiss at .25oz/gallon.

The bermuda (and the kyllinga) never went full dormant so it is going to be an early spring, I believe. Scalp is coming soon along with another round of sand leveling. Photo is from January 5, 2020 for starting reference.

See less See more
#287 ·
I did a charity mow this past weekend mainly to pick up some leaves and tweak the cutting unit adjustments. The 3100 is certainly going to make for quicker work but there will be a bit of a learning curve. I did a little bumping and rubbing in the turns but the straights were glorious! I have it set to .5" so it barely cut anything at all.

#294 ·
Thanks for following @rvczoysia.

@ionicatoms, I applied Simazine back in October so I should not see as many weeds going forward. I will be applying Prodiamine within the next couple of weeks to all areas. I'm thinking torpedograss will be my biggest issue this season since the pre-em will not affect it at all. Thank God for Quinclorac.

#295 ·
I did my spring scalp today down to 3mm... which pretty much means dirt in my yard. I did my first pass at 5mm and then two more passes at 3mm offsetting each pass by 45 degrees.

Here are the before pictures: Low area is just under 1/2", higher area is around 1 1/2".

After pictures: Notice the different look on the higher cut area vs. the lower cut area. The higher cut area was a pain in the rump and truly looks like dirt.

I was able to convince my youngest to help by allowing him to drive the gorilla cart to the road to dump the clippings. I took off 12 bags going from just under 1/2" to 3mm.

#297 ·
I have not scalped the zoysia yet. I want to be a little more conservative with the zoysia than the bermuda. I did put down some Prodiamine on the front yesterday at the 6-month rate. I will do the back today.

I may regret it but I have no plans for preventative fungicides. I have some Eagle 20EW on standby in case there are any issues.

#298 ·
Redtwin said:
I have not scalped the zoysia yet. I want to be a little more conservative with the zoysia than the bermuda. I did put down some Prodiamine on the front yesterday at the 6-month rate. I will do the back today.

I may regret it but I have no plans for preventative fungicides. I have some Eagle 20EW on standby in case there are any issues.
That's interesting thank you. I have to stay on top of my zeon with fungus issues. It can be a bit pricey.