Lawn Care Forum banner

Redtwin's Lawn Journal

148K views 475 replies 71 participants last post by  Redtwin 
#1 ·
I hand pulled a 5-gallon bucket full of varied broadleaf weeds (bittercrest, Carolina geranium, chickweed?) along with some perennial blue-eye grass starting to germinate and popcorn tree seedlings that are trying to take hold. I then spot sprayed some green kyllinga that's hanging on from last season with Dismiss at .25oz/gallon.

The bermuda (and the kyllinga) never went full dormant so it is going to be an early spring, I believe. Scalp is coming soon along with another round of sand leveling. Photo is from January 5, 2020 for starting reference.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks, @Bermuda_Rooster!

I couldn't wait any longer so I scalped it down to .25" double cut with the GM1000. I don't have a catcher so my grass catcher was a 15 year old bagging it behind me with the rotary. I barely got it done before sunset but was able to sneak a couple of photos for the journal.
I'm real happy with how much green is still left after the scalp.

#7 ·
I put down sand for the first level of the season. The Bermuda has woke up and should come through the sand pretty quickly. I had help from my two teenagers who took turns filling and driving the gorilla cart as I raked it smooth. I then ran a drag mat over it multiple times in all directions.
I think I will just have to spot level the trouble spots for the rest of the season. This round got it pretty smooth.

#10 ·
Thanks, @Bmossin!

I used a drag mat and am regretting it now. It worked the sand into the grass really well but did very little to level. I should have stuck to my rigid drag. I still have plenty of sand left so I will work on it section by section throughout the season.

#18 ·
Disregard my questions/comments on the warm season lawn thread because this journal just answered them all. I read all the time and my lawn is one of the best in my neighborhood but I still feel like such a newcomer when I see a journal like yours. Your lawn really is my dream lawn. We both have large lawns, mine is 26k...how long does it take with a reel? Also, I used mostly Lesco 38-0-0 and 46-0-0 last season and it just never seemed to "wake up" my lawn. I ran a soil sample around August last year which showed some deficiencies. This season I think I am going to take a more balanced approach. Started with 400 pounds of Milorganite and 100lbs of Dithyopyr last weekend. Nest next weekend I'm putting down 13-13-13 at 1lb N per 1k and some Main Event. What other suggestions do you have?

#19 ·
@Philly_Gunner
My soil is almost straight sugar sand so I have found that the balanced ferts really make it pop more than hitting it with straight nitrogen. I have not done a soil test yet... but probably should... maybe later... :roll:

I have a SA/Centipede mix in the front that covers about 8K sf. As far as mowed Bermuda, I only have about 12K sf. It takes me about 90 minutes to do the doubles including a quick string trimming. I very rarely do singles because I can't keep them straight. I'm thinking you'd be looking at over 2 hours to do 26K with a walking reel mower.

#21 ·
Looking sharp! What did you use to control the mole crickets? I just put down bioadvanced granular insecticide for white grubs about a week ago and that same day found a mole cricket while I was redefining my beds. I'm hoping the bioadvanced will ward them off but I'm nervous with how much damage they can do.

#25 ·
I just put down my Prodiamine today purposely late so it would have stronger control when spurge kicks in. I have these little guys popping up everywhere. They are easy to pull but I'm wondering if they are crabgrass since I missed that window by about 4 weeks.