Lawn Care Forum banner

ionicatoms lawn journal - Florida - St. Augustine (Palmetto)

136K views 819 replies 31 participants last post by  nicparker 
#1 ·
Applied Scott's DiseaseEx Fungicide (Azoxystrobin 0.31%) to side and back yards at preventive rate.

I was on the fence about the need for this application. We are expecting temperatures to drop next week.

Was hit hard with large patch back in January:

See less See more
#509 ·
Redtwin said:
Wow! You're still getting some good growth over there. I'm assuming you are coastal... Jacksonville area?
Not really much growth - it's just been a long time since the backyard was cut, plus I dropped the deck half an inch which I'm sure makes it seem like there's even more growth.

I'm in Gainesville.

#514 ·
Treated 625 sqft of Pavers with 62.5 floz of Ortho GroundClear Year Long (0.47% Imazapyr, 5.0% Pelargronic acid). I added enough water to make 4 gallons of solution.

Couple of things I think are going against me here. I sprayed near sundown, not sure how quickly it will dry. Expecting rain around midnight. Furthermore, the temperatures are fairly low (65F) and dropping. Finally, I used quite a bit more carrier water than the label wants. It wanted about 3 gallons of solution, but I used 4 (it's easier for me).

#516 ·
ionicatoms said:
I think I'm going to try one (or both) of the suggestions above next winter.
Alright, we have some frost coming, so I decided to experiment a little with Matt's suggestions.

In the side yard, I've got half cut at 3.25 and another half cut at 2.75. Additionally, cutting across those two halves, next to the fence, I've just sprayed 10 oz of Calcium Nitrate 15.5-0-0 diluted in 4 gallons of water. I was uncertain about watering it in, so I ran the sprinklers for 5 minutes. Hopefully this application doesn't cause any harm, but we'll see.

In the back yard, I only went with a lower cut in the higher area. It's already starting to go dormant, so it could be that I waited too long to start the experiment.

#521 ·
Frost hit the lawn this morning in my open sky areas. As in years past, the areas next to the jasmine-covered fence were decently protected. I looked at my neighbor's lawn a couple houses down the street (also has open sky) and he did not seem to have any frost. I wonder if his "excessive" watering in the early part of January made the difference or if there is some other explanation. I was originally thinking that height of cut might be an important factor. However, seeing no frost on his lawn sort of leads me to believe there's something else at play here. I know he was watering a lot (3x per day) 3 weeks ago.

Since it was warming up, I ran the sprinklers for 5 minutes to knock down the frost.

Unfortunately, I've got this one spot that doesn't get watered efficiently, so there was still frost afterwards.

I left the front yard alone. It only had small areas of frost.

#522 ·
I'm starting to get ready for Spring. Today I ordered more Isoxaben from Solutions Pest and started thinking about mosquito control. Had a late start with the trap last year, didn't observe any bad results. Don't know if it was just a really low pressure year for mosquitos or if the Inzecto trap was making a difference. Will continue trying it out in 2022 and see if I can come to any conclusions.

Here's their timing recommendation for placing traps in the southern areas:

#526 ·
Ordered more GrubEx today. Will plan to start the sod webworm control program (1.5lbs per 1k) again at the beginning of April. Last year we had that brutal winter, so I think the sod webworm pressure was reduced; wasn't a good year to test out the GrubEx on Sod Webworm.

As long as the price doesn't change much in the next 12 months, I'll switch to Acelepryn SC next year as a matter of convenience. The 4oz bottle isn't terribly expensive.