Lawn Care Forum banner

ionicatoms lawn journal - Florida - St. Augustine (Palmetto)

136K views 819 replies 31 participants last post by  nicparker 
#1 ·
Applied Scott's DiseaseEx Fungicide (Azoxystrobin 0.31%) to side and back yards at preventive rate.

I was on the fence about the need for this application. We are expecting temperatures to drop next week.

Was hit hard with large patch back in January:

See less See more
#2 ·
Applied 5.6lb per 1000sq.ft of HumicDG; one 40 pound bag. This is above the label rate.

Followed up with BioAdvanced Triple Action lawn fertilizer plus. I'm hoping I didn't over do it, because my last application was 4 weeks ago on the sideyard.

I'm still trying decide what to do about the Bermuda. Guy who lived here before me was throwing down Bermuda seed instead of watering the St. Augustine.

#6 ·
Put out 10lb of Scotts® Halts® Crabgrass & Grassy Weed Preventer. It's 1.71% pendimethalin. Only did the front yard and side yard. First app went down in January. It worked ok, but didn't prevent Carolina Geranium at all.

Also I cut the grass on the side yard. I got behind on the pool maintenance, so I spent a couple hours responding to the algae bloom.

#9 ·
#15 ·
Here's a follow-up on my liquid iron application from nine days ago. The test spot is barely any greener. I don't think anyone would suspect that that spot was treated with any thing special. since I didn't use the full label rate I suspect that my application should have been in the morning rather than the evening and I should have used maybe twice as much as I did. I will plan to try again.

Today I sprayed roundup plus which contains glyphosate and Diquat in my mulched beds and around my driveway and walkways. Last time I sprayed in the backyard test areas and it did work very well at 6 oz per gallon. After the foliage died I used a lawn torch to burn up most of the dead material.

#23 ·
Checked on iron application. No visible result (three days later). I didn't water it in, and it didn't rain. I did cut the grass on the same day as the application. Plus it's been pretty warm, so maybe the grass was stressed and not growing as much.

I saw a Youtube video which said that using a hose-end sprayer would tend to wash the iron into the roots (he said it can help with stress management), but that it wouldn't do as much for the color as an undiluted foliar application.

While I was walking around, I noticed additional areas with gray leaf spot. This reinforced the lesson that I need to be more proactive with systemic fungicide leading up to the rainy season, especially with lush growth. That's what I get for trying to save money.