Lawn Care Forum banner

DFWdude's lawn journal

95K views 419 replies 43 participants last post by  smmclj 
#1 ·
We moved into our current house 27 SEPT 2019. Here is a picture of the lawn we inherited.

When spring 2020 hit, there were more weeds than grass. I hadnt found this site yet, so I hit it with all sorts of chemicals. Some worked, some didnt. My wife and I ended up spending time each night ripping weeds out by hand. When we each filled a 5gal bucket, we'd stop for the day. Shockingly, that process went on for a looooong time.

I spot leveled an area, fired my landscaper in April and took over the upkeep, and fertilized as best I could.

Here are some pictures from 03 JUL 2020

I found this site when I ran into irrigation issues around AUG, and I'm so glad to have this resource!

Here is a picture from last week, as things are declining into fall.

The lawn still has a nasty thatch issue, and feels like you're walking on a wet sponge. Come spring time, I will scalp, dethatch, level and start reel mowing. Will definitely post updates as actions take place. Just wanted to get the thread primed for action!

See less See more
#126 ·
Wow, that's *incredibly* green for this time of year and the average temperatures in Dallas, eh? Looks great though - I'm jealous!

I'm closely watching soil temps here in Vegas & counting down the days til mowing season will hopefully be in full swing, and things will green up. I'll probably do some overseeding this fall, I'd love to have even 50% of the green you've got at this time a year from now!

Good stuff. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.