Lawn Care Forum banner

DFWdude's lawn journal

95K views 419 replies 43 participants last post by  smmclj 
#1 ·
We moved into our current house 27 SEPT 2019. Here is a picture of the lawn we inherited.

When spring 2020 hit, there were more weeds than grass. I hadnt found this site yet, so I hit it with all sorts of chemicals. Some worked, some didnt. My wife and I ended up spending time each night ripping weeds out by hand. When we each filled a 5gal bucket, we'd stop for the day. Shockingly, that process went on for a looooong time.

I spot leveled an area, fired my landscaper in April and took over the upkeep, and fertilized as best I could.

Here are some pictures from 03 JUL 2020

I found this site when I ran into irrigation issues around AUG, and I'm so glad to have this resource!

Here is a picture from last week, as things are declining into fall.

The lawn still has a nasty thatch issue, and feels like you're walking on a wet sponge. Come spring time, I will scalp, dethatch, level and start reel mowing. Will definitely post updates as actions take place. Just wanted to get the thread primed for action!

See less See more
#3 ·
Started the year with a front yard scalp

Also, due to some life events I dont think that I'll be able to reel mow everything. Current plan is to reel mow the front, and a small section of the back. The remainder will get dealt with via the ztr.

Spring weeds exploded this year, even w a heavy pre-e. So dealing with those and will then scalp the back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.