UltimateLawn's DFW St. Augustine Journal

Warm season member lawn journals
Live Oak
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 3000 sqft
Mower: Rotary

Re: UltimateLawn's DFW St. Augustine Journal

Post by Live Oak »

Do you have bagging capability for your mower? I find that to be the most efficient way to pick up leaves and other organic debris on my lawn. It's almost like a vacuum for your yard. @UltimateLawn

Topic Author
UltimateLawn
Lawn Size: 4,800 sqft
Mower: Ego

Post by UltimateLawn »

I do but my mower is a first gen Ego with horrible vacuum suction. I am set to replace it soon. I was thinking this would be the best option.

thundergunexpress
Grass Type: St. Augustine - Bermuda/Bahia
Lawn Size: 3000sqft
Mower: Honda HRN216VKA

Post by thundergunexpress »

UltimateLawn wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:23 am

Does anyone know what kind of plants these are, when I should trim them back, and how I should trim them? Thanks!

Mondo grass. Not sure about maintenance, but a Google search will get you there!

Topic Author
UltimateLawn

Post by UltimateLawn »

So I picked up a new Honda mower today and used it to bag leaves...what a difference compared to the Ego mower.

Also dropped a preventative 2 fl oz. per 1,000 ft2 of Clearys 3336F fungicide. This is new on a rotation of class 3, 11 and now 1. Grass was full of fungal growth about a month before and it is looking better now.

Topic Author
UltimateLawn

Post by UltimateLawn »

Long time no post, so picking up in the new season. Did a 2ea 4 gallon water mix to drop 0.18oz/1,000ft2 of Prodiamine WDG and 0.11floz/1,000ft2 of Specticle Flo. This is my first time using Specticle, so we will see how things go. Specticle is crazy expensive for the 18 floz bottle, but each application is about 5$ per for my 5,000ft2 lawn.

I'm planning on another drop of this combo in about four weeks as things continue to warm.

ionicatoms
Grass Type: St. Augustine (Palmetto)
Lawn Size: 7100 sq. ft.
Mower: Toro 21386

Post by ionicatoms »

UltimateLawn wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:00 pm
Specticle is crazy expensive for the 18 floz bottle, but each application is about 5$ per for my 5,000ft2 lawn.
This made me laugh. Ever since I got in the lawn game my concept of “expensive” keeps getting “enlarged.”

Topic Author
UltimateLawn

Post by UltimateLawn »

Well....a new season is starting, so I thought I would start to refresh my lawn journal.

St. Augustine remains dormant. Bermuda mix is still in dormancy...maybe a few sprigs are starting to green up.

I posted in the Weed Identification discussion thread. Looks like some Rescuegrass. I think I had some of this last season but probably wasn't looking as closely as this year. Fall pre-emergent mix of Prodiamine and Simazine didn't address the break though in the warmer soil closer to the curb.

viewtopic.php?p=360259#p360259

Topic Author
UltimateLawn

Post by UltimateLawn »

Dropped some Celcius on some small outbreaks including a small grass strip on my neighbor's side. He didn't drop a fall pre-emergent and you could you see the difference from my side.

Targets are rescuegrass, ground ivy and hedge parsley. Only one hedge parsley and I don't see it mentioned on the Celcius label or Blindside (which I have as well). I guess we will see how things go.

The St Augustine is still dormant but things are heating up. Temp now is at 65 deg F with soil temp at 60 deg F.

leefjl63
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000 sq ft
Mower: Kobalt 80v

Post by leefjl63 »

I was thinking of adding 3336F to my rotation. But @2oz/1k it will around $8 per app for 5k lawn.

I need to reseach Specticle. Is this a pre to use instead of Pennant?

I've sprayed Blindside Nxt with mixed results. Once when daytime temp was 85F and it hit the St Aug hard. I thought it would be ok to spray to late evening when the temp (<85F) was lower. But it didn't matter. Lesson learnt! Now I will only use that when daytime temp is under 80F.

Celsius is my go to herbicide. It will take out the Buttonweed. Took around 4 weeks and I used a 2nd app.

Good luck with the upcoming season!

ionicatoms
Grass Type: St. Augustine (Palmetto)
Lawn Size: 7100 sq. ft.
Mower: Toro 21386

Post by ionicatoms »

leefjl63 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:59 am
I was thinking of adding 3336F to my rotation. But @2oz/1k it will around $8 per app for 5k lawn.
Keep in mind there is an annual maximum of 4 applications. That only gives you 8 weeks of coverage. I plan to rotate azoxy+3336 with azoxy+propiconazole for the 16 weeks when grey leaf spot is hitting me the hardest. It’s not the cheapest per app, but 3336EG (5 lbs) is the right amount for me to not have multiple years worth of product sitting on the shelf / degrading.
Want to know more? Review my Lawn Journal

DIY Lawn and Garden Products