Warm season member lawn journals
Topic Author
Deltahedge
Grass Type: Tifway 419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 3 acres
Mower: Badboy Maverick, JD 260SL

Deltahedge Fulshear Texas 2021 Lawn Journal

Post by Deltahedge »

A picture is worth 1,000 words. So, I'll show what the lot looked like when we started in 2017.

For some reason I like doing things myself. So I went out and cut all the vines off of the trees with a hand saw and some shears. About 14 trees in total. I thought it might take me 2 full days' work, and it ended up taking about 6 days.

Many of the trees had so many vines on them that the actual tree wasn't visible. And from afar, when you thought you were seeing the leaves of the tree, you were actually just seeing the leaves of the various vines.

A couple years later the house was done, and we had sod around the exterior. The lot is nearly 3 acres, and it didnt make sense at the time to sod and irrigate the entire thing, so we sodded out from the house about 40-60" with tifway 419 Bermuda.

After we moved in, I began working on a single tree each weekend to clean up some of the vine roots that were attempting to grow back. Once again, I underestimated the effort it would take to dig some of those roots up, and lost steam after finishing about 10 trees. There are still two tree to do before I consider it done, but I stopped working on them and moved on to other things. Maybe someday I will clean those up as well. But for now, there are things I can work on that give more bang for the effort.

The dead vines up in the top of the trees continue to decay and I'm guessing I'll be picking them up for the next few years as they continue to fall.

And here is a photo I love from summer 2020 with the wife and two of my kids on the tree swing. This is what makes it all worth it.

It's come a long way from where it began.

We moved into the house we built on this lot in July 2019. When I get frustrated that the yard isn't looking great, it helps me to go back and look at how far it has come in only a few short years.

I'm starting up this lawn journal in the off season with the hope that I can get a running start in the Spring of 2021 with a few projects.

Irrigation System.
I have 21 zones on the irrigation system, and it takes nearly 11 hours to run through all the zones to put out 1/2" on the lawn. There's only room in the control box for 1 more station. The builder planted tifway 419 Bermuda on the irrigated sections of the lawn, and the rest of the lot is just native grass and weeds.

It is my goal to drill a well for irrigation and to irrigate the entire lot, and transition the entire thing to reel low zeon zoysia over the next X number of years. (I really don't have a goal for how long this will take, so let's just call it "X" for now)

I have learned so much on this forum, I am thankful to everyone who posts, because I gain knowledge with every thread that I read.

I currently mow the entire lot and ditch at 2.75" with a Bad Boy Maverick zero turn. I have a very tiny area that I maintain at 0.875" with a John Deere 260SL that I bought this fall from a member of the forum.

2021 Applications: *Scheduled
Pre-M
2/9/2021 - Prodiamine 65 WDG .21oz/M
4/8/2021 - Snapshot 4.6lb/M to beds
5/5/2021 - Prodiamine 65 WDG .205 oz/M
10/7/2021 - Prodiamine 65 WDG .42oz/M

Post-M
4/11/2021 - Celcius 0.085oz/M
4/11/2021 - Certainty 0.8g/M

Insecticide

Fungicide - (I need to research a 3rd mode of action to rotate in this plan)
4/21/2021 - Propiconazole 41.8% 0.7fl oz/M
4/21/2021 - Azoxystrobin 22.9% 0.7 fl oz/M
5/5/2021 - Propiconazole 41.8% 0.7fl oz/M
6/21/2021 - Azoxystrobin 22.9%
*7/25/2021 - Propiconazole 41.8%
Last edited by Deltahedge on Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:57 am, edited 16 times in total.

UltimateLawn
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 4,800 sqft
Mower: Honda HRX217HYA

Re: Fulshear Texas Bermuda to Zoysia Lawn Journal

Post by UltimateLawn »

Congrats on the new lawn journal. I used to live in Fulshear. Great place.

Topic Author
Deltahedge

Post by Deltahedge »

UltimateLawn wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:15 am
Congrats on the new lawn journal. I used to live in Fulshear. Great place.
Thanks. Fulshear is a great place.

Topic Author
Deltahedge

Post by Deltahedge »

The yard will be going through quite a transformation over the next several years. Here are my plans, somewhat in order of when I am planning on tackling them.

- Pool and Landscape design. (Nov 2020 - Jan 2021)
- Updated irrigation design and rainwater capture design (I need to take my existing system and merge it into a system that covers my entire lot) (Jan)
- Drill water well for irrigation and pool. (Feb - March)
- Pool construction and backyard renovation (Spring/Summer)
- Install rainwater capture (Spring/Summer)
- Glyphosate front yard bermuda and ditch (April 1)
- Glyphosate front yard bermuda and ditch (April 15)
- Glyphosate front yard bermuda and ditch (May 1)
- Add a few irrigation zones to front yard (April/May)
- Install Zeon Zoysia Sod in front yard and ditch (May)

2022 and Beyond
- 3 rounds of Glyphosate to remaining areas (Spring)
- Install irrigation for remaining areas. (Spring)
- Sprig Zeon Zoysia on remaining areas. (Spring/Summer)
- Grass Tennis court construction. (2022 or 2023) (Planning on Trinity Zoysia)

Meximusprime
Grass Type: Celebration
Lawn Size: 5K sq ft
Mower: California Trimmer/Honda HRX

Post by Meximusprime »

Hello neighbor! Just down the road from you and looking forward to this big project.

Topic Author
Deltahedge

Post by Deltahedge »

I have some updates to my plan for this year, but before I post any of that, I wanted to give an update of the yard after last week's very hard freeze in the Houston area.

At the end of August last year, I laid some Zeon Zoysia sod on a couple spots in my tifway 419 bermuda lawn. This was to test if I wanted to do an entire lawn renovation and grass change to Zeon. The answer is "YES".

You can absolutely see the exact line running through this picture; Zoysia on the left, Bermuda on the right. It almost looks as if it's two pictures stitched together, but this is just the line where the Zoysia meets the Bermuda.

Topic Author
Deltahedge

Re: Deltahedge Fulshear Texas 2021 Lawn Journal

Post by Deltahedge »

It has taken a little longer to get the completed pool design than we initially thought, but that's ok because it has given me time to reflect on the plan a little more.

I'm holding off on the front yard renovation until we build the pool. We are removing a lot of the sprinkler zones in the back yard, so this will free up more zones to use in the front yard.

ILoveGrits
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 25,000 sq ft
Mower: JD 220B / Toro 3100D

Post by ILoveGrits »

Great picture of the wife and kiddos. Nice looking property you've got.

Topic Author
Deltahedge

Post by Deltahedge »

ILoveGrits wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:23 pm
Great picture of the wife and kiddos. Nice looking property you've got.
Thank you.

Topic Author
Deltahedge

Post by Deltahedge »

I edited the first post to to show pictures of the lot in the beginning, before we cleared any vegetation. I also included some progress photos of the first couple of years since I didn't have a lawn journal at the time. I think the first post does a good job getting you caught up to where I was this last offseason, Nov20-Feb21, and I'll update the thread with new posts from here on.

Lawniac
Lawn Size: 2 Acre
Mower: Rotary

Post by Lawniac »

Beautiful house. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress this season!

Topic Author
Deltahedge

Post by Deltahedge »

I spent all day yesterday scalping the front yard. I mowed it down to around 2" with the zero turn with side discharge spewing clippings everywhere. Based on the advice of a few of you who bag the clippings on some fairly large lawns, I decided to tackle it and bag some clippings. I went over the entire lawn at 1.75" and then again at 1.5" with a buddy's rotary mower and bagged the clippings both times. At the end of the day I got out my greens mower and cut it down to 0.75" with the grass catcher on.

The front yard has never been leveled, and I was surprised that the greens mower did just fine at 0.75". It went so well that I decided I would give it a go at 0.25" today. Obviously 0.25" was a little too low and kept hitting dirt, so I am going to attempt 0.50" tomorrow.

So far I have over 700 gallons worth of trash bags full of clippings! and I'll have even more after tomorrow's 0.50" haricut.

Topic Author
Deltahedge

Post by Deltahedge »

I made a redneck back-lapping machine.

I have the drill mounted to a piece of wood with this.
https://www.amazon.com/Dico-541-41413-S ... B001F7AJIA

I bought it for pinewood derby, I don't use it for PWD anymore as I have a drill press for that now, but it came in handy for back-lapping.

Upgrades would be some type of linkage that has some play in it like a U-joint, so it doesn't have to be lined up perfectly. A better way to control the speed on the drill would also come in pretty handy.

It confuses me how the professional back-lapping machines cost between $600-$1,300.

jbow03
Lawn Size: 6,000
Mower: Jacobson 526a, Honda Rotary

Post by jbow03 »

@Deltahedge yard is looking great! I'm just down the road from you in Fulbrook on Fulshear Creek. My yard is loving these warm days already!

Keep up the good work!

GrassDad
Grass Type: Salad bar Centipede > Bermuda
Lawn Size: 12,000
Mower: Rotary

Post by GrassDad »

Looks awesome. Looking forward to following your progress!

Topic Author
Deltahedge

Post by Deltahedge »

jbow03 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:16 pm
@Deltahedge yard is looking great! I'm just down the road from you in Fulbrook on Fulshear Creek. My yard is loving these warm days already!

Keep up the good work!
Thanks. I have many friends in your neighborhood. We're over there all the time. Also, since I have such a large property, I'm always buying pretty large quantities of Celcius and Certainty. If you ever need smaller quantities of those, just let me know and I can piece small quantities together for you.

jbow03
Lawn Size: 6,000
Mower: Jacobson 526a, Honda Rotary

Post by jbow03 »

Deltahedge wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:05 pm
jbow03 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:16 pm

Keep up the good work!
Thanks. I have many friends in your neighborhood. We're over there all the time. Also, since I have such a large property, I'm always buying pretty large quantities of Celcius and Certainty. If you ever need smaller quantities of those, just let me know and I can piece small quantities together for you.
Yeah, I've never been able to justify purchasing the large QTY's it comes in for just my 1/4 acre. I've heard great things about both. Purchased some Pennant Magnum last year with great results t-nex to try out this year.

Topic Author
Deltahedge

Post by Deltahedge »

I've been scalping the yard at 0.50" so far this season, but I raised the HOC to 0.57" for tonight's mow. I only had 3 loads full of clippings, so it's pretty clear the Bermuda hasn't quite woken up yet. I haven't started irrigating yet, and our rain has been on the low side for the past few weeks. I'll spend some time on Saturday turning on the irrigations and checking all the zones.

Here's a photo from tonight. It's my first time trying double wide stripes, and I think they look pretty good.

Redtwin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Back-419/Front-Empire
Lawn Size: 20K sf
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Post by Redtwin »

Doubles are way easier to keep straight! It's looking good and will get super tight with the T-Nex. I also love the stone work on your house... beautiful!

Trent161
Lawn Size: 6,800
Mower: Troy built rotary

Post by Trent161 »

You have a beautiful home. The standing seam metal roofer is BALLER!
Trent

Be disciplined or BE DISCIPLINED.

DIY Lawn and Garden Products