Lawn Care Forum banner

coreystooks 2021 Lawn Journal

9K views 48 replies 8 participants last post by  coreystooks 
#1 ·
Thought today would be a good day to start the new journal as we got a rare Alabama snow today. Quick rundown for those that haven't seen my last journal. Got 40,000 sq ft of lawn of which about 12,000 sq ft is maintained reel low at 0.5". Last year I focused on getting what I call the "big yard" weed free and forcing the common bermuda there to spread. I would say about 70% +/- of that area is grown in at the moment and I believe I can get that 100% this year. I also never got the chance to sand level the main yard last year so hopefully that will happen in 2021.

Things to do now:
Got some poa and fescue/rye in the big area that needs to be sprayed out.
Start to spray out the PRG in the backyard at the beginning of March.
Need to bury 4 downspout extensions that I put off last year.

See less See more
#3 ·
Going to try to gradually scalp this year. Ran over it this morning at 0.5" to get started. Going to probably take it down in 0.025" increments each week and see how that works, this way when March comes I'll be down to where I want to be. Doing it this way should spread out the clippings to just a couple of baskets each mow instead of a basket after each pass, it will also make it easier on the eclipse since hard scalping is not exactly its specialty.

#11 ·
Finally got the scalp done on the main yard. Got it down to to 0.35" that's as low as I can go with the bedknife setup on the Jake. Going to start maintaining at 0.4" and see how it goes. Still waiting on soil test to see what I need to throw down. Also cut the big yard for the first time since scalping it, surprised how fast its greening up.
Also threw in some pics of the of the tulips.

Greenup on the big yard

Got a little get together next week so the rye is staying until after that, I would have already killed it off but should be interesting to see how a later transition goes.

#13 ·
Been getting a lot of the "rain snakes" lately with all the rain we've been getting. Usually just take them by hand and then go over with the rotary to clean it up but finally got tired of that. Based the idea of the one that @TheTurfTamer built for brushing sand but thought it would work good for this purpose as well. Dragged it over a few spots by hand and did really well, planning on going over everything tomorrow with it to really test it out.

#16 ·
Got an early morning spray in. I think I enjoy spraying just as much as mowing and there's just something satisfying about doing it with a heavy dew on the ground. Ran the second half of my split app of prodiamine along with some Bifen. Just did the big area since we're supposed to get some rain today and will probably do the main yard tomorrow and hit it with the first irrigation run of the season.

#18 ·
Threw some fert down this morning before the rain, did 3lbs per k of 33-0-0. I just don't buy into all these magical ferts that you see getting thrown around all the time, I feel like I get pretty good results on my lawn and all it has ever had put on it is this cheap ag grade stuff that I get from our local farmer's co-op and you can get just about any ratio you could want.

#22 ·
Better late than never, finally got my second part of the split app of prodiamine this morning along with some 24-D and Bifen. Wondering what you guys think about the second picture, have about 3-4 patches that look just like this throughout the reel low areas. I think I had some pink snowmold over the winter because I had similar spots like in this topic https://thelawnforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25474&hilit=spots+in+dormant and everything greened up good but now getting these spots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.