Lawn Care Forum banner

Rjw0283's Lawn Journal

68K views 465 replies 27 participants last post by  rjw0283 
#1 ·
Decided to finally start a journal....

Started getting stuff for the 2021 growing season

2 bags of Urea and 2 bags of SOP (in boxes 1 bag 50lb bag of granular and 1 bag 50lbs of spray able)

The urea I can get local, the SOP I have to buy online at 7 springs farm.

See less See more
#205 ·
I've heard that some have developed a resistance to Bifenthrin but it still works for me. The only place I have a problem is along the property line where they are all coming from. If you're not seeing any damage then your apps are working. He probably just wandered into the wrong yard.

#207 ·
Dude, what the hell is that spot by the walkway? I legit thought it would have grown in by now? Any progress? Thoughts on maybe plugging it next year to see, now that you diverted water?

Yard looks good, I just don't get that spot.

(FWIW I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill. Your yard looks great I'm just curious why that spot won't fix itself. I legit wouldn't see it, if you hadn't shown us previously.)

#208 ·
I don't know. I am thinking I had a fungus issue at the beginning. (Melting out) that wiped the grass out of that area. I've applied fungicides, which has prevented it from further spreading. This area does not dry out!. It'll stay moist/wet for days after I've watered. It doesn't drain. I am not really sure what to do. It started as a small area last year and it spread to what it is currently. The level I did early in the year greatly increased the spread. I am at a loss why I can't get it to recover, I've tried plugging but it stays wet and the plugs don't really spread. Not sure if I need to dig out this area and put in different soil. Any recommendations would be helpful. Not really sure what to do. @Amoo316

#210 ·
Looking at the level of that front area vs the bricks and ASSuming the bricks are somewhat level, it looks like you're dealing with flat spots at the bottom of that huge slope you deal with.

It appears in photos like you might have some room to grade those areas towards the side yard and driveway respectfully. That at least might work on the area outside the walkway. The area inside the walkway may not have enough angle/depth to drain towards the driveway.

I mean looking at it, those are flat spots at the bottom of the hill, so it makes sense. It's just feels complicated as to how to address it. Especially the inside the walkway area.

#212 ·
Amoo316 said:
Looking at the level of that front area vs the bricks and ASSuming the bricks are somewhat level, it looks like you're dealing with flat spots at the bottom of that huge slope you deal with.

It appears in photos like you might have some room to grade those areas towards the side yard and driveway respectfully. That at least might work on the area outside the walkway. The area inside the walkway may not have enough angle/depth to drain towards the driveway.

I mean looking at it, those are flat spots at the bottom of the hill, so it makes sense. It's just feels complicated as to how to address it. Especially the inside the walkway area.
Inside the walkway is the biggest issue.
I believe I've corrected the other area by adding a drain. That area is starting to dry out and grass is growing... Very slowly but I think next year I can turn it around.
The sidewalk part used to grow grass, but it always had some spots that wouldn't grow. The area doesn't drain. Water just pools up and doesn't go down. It then gets really hard. I've aerated.. added sand it just goes back to wet and hard...

#216 ·
Based on the slope of the yard that we can see from pictures, even if the dirt isn't wet on the surface, I would assume if you dug down that area stays more moist then anywhere else in the yard. It simply has no where to go after it drains down the yard towards the house. That would cause any irrigation/rainfall to no drain as fast as everything else.

#223 ·
I just got done doing my fall pre-e app.
Gallery @ 12gr per k
Prodiamine @ .4 oz per k
simazine @ .75fl oz per k

I think I'll save Gallery for just summer apps in the future. I am not sure if it's beneficial for what I deal with the winter, but ahh, well, it's down.
I'll have to read the label on simazine some more; I'll probably do another app if I can.

#224 ·
I was mixing up some spot spray the other day and dropped my bottle of certainty and most of it went flying all over the garage! :oops: The good thing is, there wasn't much left in the bottle. As I was looking for some more certainty I noticed it's sold out in many places. So, I bought a bottle of Cryder which is the same AI. It's 20OZ of product, Certainty only comes in 1.25 oz. So if anyone wants a split, I have plenty. Hit me up on a PM if you need any.