Lawn Care Forum banner

Rjw0283's Lawn Journal

68K views 465 replies 27 participants last post by  rjw0283 
#1 ·
Decided to finally start a journal....

Started getting stuff for the 2021 growing season

2 bags of Urea and 2 bags of SOP (in boxes 1 bag 50lb bag of granular and 1 bag 50lbs of spray able)

The urea I can get local, the SOP I have to buy online at 7 springs farm.

See less See more
#2 ·
This was my first year of a PRG overseed. It looks ok, but far from perfect. Next year I will scalp bermuda lower and use PGR... I didn't use PGR this go around... My dog really likes it. She always likes to roll around in the front yard. So when it's dormant bermuda she gets dead grass all over herself. This isn't an issue anymore. I'll be PRGing ever year from now on. (At least in front). The dogs destroy it in back with their pee

I got little lines in the stripes because I ran my spreader with ironite and some on-clearance fert from lowes. The prg was getting yellow tips. So it needs something. It has been raining crazy this winter. I havn't been keeping up with the nutrients. My soil doesn't hold anything very long which is why I have so much K ready to go for the bermuda. I apply nutrients every 10-14 days with PGR, and I've found that's the sweet spot for bermuda. I don't put much effort into the PRG. Winter time and constant darkness sucks the energy out of me. I love the summer

#9 ·
Mowed yesterday. I've decided to take it down lower and lower every week till I'm down to as low as I can go and then I'll kill off the Rye around 20 March.. I don't want to kill it too soon because I like the green. I figure it'll take 2-3 weeks before it starts dying with certainty. We'll see.

You can see the dormant Bermuda popping through the lawn, next year I need to scalp lower and hit with PGR.

I wish I had a flat lawn not on a giant slope.

#12 ·
UltimateLawn said:
@rjw0283, I've recently purchased a couple of scissor traps and caught one of the moles damaging my yard. Share some of those 'mole hunting' efforts.
Will do, the problem I have is, I cannot find the main tunnel. Behind my yard is a million little tunnels and in my yard alot of small shallow tunnels they randomly come in. I have traps set but they do not come in my yard all the time. I found some volcano mounds but can't find the main highway. I've been doing alot of research and will be doing some more probing in the yard. I'll report back any tips I learn. I also have 12 pulse sticks coming that I'll be setting around the house. (Maybe after I trap a few to prevent from returning). They aren't always in my yard, but when they come they unlevel the hell out of it.
I currently have some noise pulse stakes up now, and they do seem to prevent them some, as they seem to stay behind my yard more than they use to. So maybe if I just set more of those up I'll be good.

#15 ·
UltimateLawn said:
@rjw0283 , I haven't heard much good news about repelling them other than to try and address eliminating their food source.
some people say they work, some don't. I have 20 of them, so in a few months I should be able to give you a pretty good idea if they are crap or not. So moles eat grubs and worms. I got millions of worms in the yard. Not sure you could ever really take away their food supply.

#18 ·
Brought it down to a little above 1/4 in. Sprayed certainty and celsius on backyard to kill some weeds and take out PRG that the dogs didn't kill with pee.

I havnt sprayed PRG in front yet. It's a little above a 1/4 inch. I couldn't get the flex any lower with the high hoc cut. I may have to put the original brackets on if I want to scalp lower

#22 ·
coreystooks said:
Dang that even hurts me to see that.
Yeah it sucks. It was only my 2-3rd time using it. I must have clipped the road as I was turning, somehow it dipped into it. Just a freak thing, come to think of it I'm wondering if I messed it up prior because it was making a slight rubbing nose prior to me hitting the street, when I hit the street I must have hit weak spot in blade. Once I broke it off no more rubbing noise. But it must have been the right ad, I would have noticed hitting something that would damage blade

#24 ·
I got a quote yesterday for a irrigation system. I'm in a little bit of dilemma. My water company charges an ungodly fee to install a tap. Somewhere around the range of 1700 bucks! I called them today to iniate a quote. I'm tempted to fill the water meter box filled with beer, maybe that'd bring the cost down. I had a recommended sprinkler guy come yesterday and he quoted me at $ 4200. All grass will get water to include flower beds and raised garden bed I have with a rain sensor.
For 1700 bucks maybe I can dig a damn well for that price. What a racket.