Lawn Care Forum banner

Leefjl63 South FL - Palmetto St. Augustine Journal

24K views 104 replies 9 participants last post by  Lem855 
#1 ·
This is my lawn journal. I started to improve my lawn July 2020. Prior to that I only fertilize 3 times a year and put down insecticide.

I've not done anything so far this year except this pass Sunday I applied Sunniland St. Augustine 20-0-6 Weed and Feed at 4lbs per 1000 sq ft.

I'm thinking to blanket spray either Image for Southern Lawns or Ortho Weed Clear. But not in a rush because lawn doesn't have too many weeds. I'll give the Weed & Feed a chance to work.

I'm working on a 2021 schedule based off 2020. I'll need to make some adjustment based on how the lawn reacts from now to July.

See less See more
#83 ·
@leefjl ....don't let the bermudagrass be. It is extremely invasive, particularly here in North TX. If you can stop it at the border by replacing the sod as the new season begins, then do so.

Of course here it is very hot and dry summers, so it's a constant battle. I had hoped to do so this season and have made some progress, but it is a lot of work and attention. True lawn care nut status.

:lol:

#85 ·
Late night cut yesterday. No signs of fungus thanks to Enclave.

There's some Bermuda lingering in there so I'll need to come up with a plan of attack. @UltimateLawn I'll follow your advice unless @CenlaLowell convince me otherwise 😀

Notice beyond the fence that my neighbor's yard is looking pretty good. I have been helping him and the grass is getting stronger.

#86 ·
leefjl63 said:
Late night cut yesterday. No signs of fungus thanks to Enclave.

There's some Bermuda lingering in there so I'll need to come up with a plan of attack. @UltimateLawn I'll follow your advice unless @CenlaLowell convince me otherwise 😀

Notice beyond the fence that my neighbor's yard is looking pretty good. I have been helping him and the grass is getting stronger.

Beautiful shot. I'm not going to lie I'll be scared to spray any herbicide on that beautiful lawn. I never used enclave before it's that good of a product?

#88 ·
@UltimateLawn it's called pouring millions of dollars at it LOL. There's some bermuda in there but not showing up on the pic.

No photoshop but I'll take that as a compliment :lol:

I have people asking me all the time for help. Right now I've got my neighbor's yard looking pretty good as well. I even spray his yard sometimes just to help him out.

#89 ·
@CenlaLowell I read this info on GLS https://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/diseases-in-turf/gray-leaf-spot-in-turf/ and noticed that you get best results by using multiple mode of action. It mentions Enclave and it included 4 modes of action. So I figured I'll give it a try.

Now I plan to rotate Enclave with (Azoxy + Tebu) or (Azoxy + Cleary). Before I was using each by itself and I notice the GLS was not clearing up. After the 1st app of Enclave it was all clear. Had the same results on with my son's yard as well and he had it really bad. He's up in the North of FL (Jax) and I'm down south in Fort Lauderdale.

#90 ·
leefjl63 said:

Now I plan to rotate Enclave with (Azoxy + Tebu) or (Azoxy + Cleary). Before I was using each by itself and I notice the GLS was not clearing up. After the 1st app of Enclave it was all clear. Had the same results on with my son's yard as well and he had it really bad. He's up in the North of FL (Jax) and I'm down south in Fort Lauderdale.
I have been following the typical strategy of 1 app per fungicide chem and then following it up shortly thereafter with the next one. Most of these have been at the maintenance rate since the TARR in my yard was addressed by June. If I combine two MOA's then does that mean I should reduce the maintenance rate for each by 1/2 or just accept that I'm at double the cost per app?

I'm about to start buying these fungicides in the gallon size. It's just too expensive to be able to drop these on any regular frequency with these pint and quart sizes.

#92 ·
Last week I sprayed Celsius with temps in the 90s (no surfactant).

The St. Aug growth slowed down but it's doing fine and looks like bermuda didn't like it!
I'll try to get some pics later.

Today I followed up with Sethoxydim 18% at .5oz. If that works I'll keep knocking down the bermuda until next year. That's when I'll try Atrazine + Ethofumesate.

#97 ·
leefjl63 said:
Sethoxydim is knocking down the Bermuda and the St Aug is doing OK. I will try to give it another spray and see if it cleans up the rest.

Hey! Just found your journal, and wondering which specific product you're using to control bermuda like this without harming your st. augustine? I'm also in S. Florida (Boynton Beach) and I always get the wild bermuda in the same spots. This season seems to be a little worse and I was hoping the St. Augustine would be able to overtake it, but it's just not happening. Your lawn looks great!

#98 ·
@MosJeff I'm using https://www.domyown.com/bonide-grass-beater-ii-over-the-top-grass-killer-p-23136.html

It's not labelled for St. Augustine but someone on here mentioned that it works and that's how I ended up trying it. Don't use the label rate otherwise it will kill the St Aug as well. I ended up using .5oz/1000 in one gal of water. It will ding the grass a bit and will require multiple apps. I'm only going with one application for now.

For next year I plan to start with Atrazine + Ethofumesate. combo. Then depending on the results I'll hit it with Sethoxydim before Summer.

#100 ·
leefjl63 said:
It's a slow process but the St. Aug is beating the Bermuda at this time.

Will need to spray another round of Sethoxydim but I'm waiting for full recovery of the St Aug. Next time I won't do it so close to Celsius app.

It took about 4 weeks to fully recover. It was painful to look at the lawn. Next I will spot spray any Bermuda that pops up with a .5oz/gal mix. The next blanket spray I'm going to lower the rate to .25oz/1000 sq feet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.