Lawn Care Forum banner

Latitude 36 Bermuda - Bent Overseed Journal

25K views 43 replies 7 participants last post by  Dlmartin1984 
#1 ·
I have started the process to convert about 600sq ft of area that goes from middle of front lawn to middle of the first tree. Removal of existing grass. Leveling out with multiple loads of top soil. Then a top layer of 50/50 loam/compost. Then sodding with Lat 36.

I have measured the sunlight the area gets and it's about 6ish hours throughout the day of direct sunlight. A mix of morning and evening. The tree is raised pretty high too. For the areas that don't thrive, I'll likely overseed with fescue in the future.

The rest of my lawn on the north side is a mix of Astro/common/Yukon. Currently cutting reel low. 7/8in. Working down to 1/2in in the coming weeks.

Sod set for Friday.

From the other side of the yard.

See less See more
#34 ·
Sbcgenii said:
It's been a couple weeks how is the bent doing? What height are you cutting it at now?
Still really good. We have had a number of nights under 32°, down into the 20s. I applied a fungicide cocktail on the powdery mildew spots and it seem to do its job. Hitting again this week.

I am still maintaining at around 1/4in. But mowing frequency is really only once a week.

This upcoming week is supposed to be warmer. 60s during the day all week. So I'd guess some extra growth will occur.

I have shut down my sprinkler system for the winter. So really relying on rain to water at this point.

I am still planning to pull everything up sometime in March/April, add some much needed drainage and resod the entire area with latitude 36 or Tahoma.

#36 ·
Hanging in there. Just coming off of 8-10in of snow.
Haven't hit with fungicide since December.

Some yellowing, I presume is the bluegrass.
In mid December when the deep freeze days hit, the Bermuda finally went to sleep. Haven't mowed since December sometime.

Hitting with Prodiamine in the coming weeks, so we will see how it impacts the bent/bluegrass.

Interested to see how it does as things start to warm up. It has been nice to see green every day this winter.

#40 ·
CenlaLowell said:
Dlmartin1984 said:
For a closer look of Lat 36 compared to Yukon. I always liked to see an up close of the blades and differences.

They look VERY similar
Picture doesn't show it guess. Lat 36 has a much thinner blade than Yukon and does much better under a bit of shade. Maybe subjective, but Lat 36 is so soft to walk on.

#41 ·
Bent/bluegrass project is hanging tough. Poa issues starting to resolve. Rotating fungicide every 10 days or so. We got about 8 inches of rain in a 72hr window last week but it drains pretty quickly. Bermuda is starting to come back and can see it in a few spots creeping up. 90°s next week. Tnex starts in a couple weeks.

During a downpour

24hrs later and 3 days since mowing.

#43 ·
A month later and the bent mix has basically been over taken by the Bermuda which was underneath. 3 weeks straight of 95°+ and no rain did the trick.

I also picked up some dollar spot which was aggressive. Rotated propicanzole, myclobutanil and Chlorothalonil. Took a couple weeks but that cleaned it up.

To address the continued drainage issues and puddling during monsoons, I installed 4 channel drains along the concrete/grass edges and routed them through the yard to cutouts in the existing curb. Also brought in enough sandy loam to level a run off area and a few other small spots throughout the yard.

#44 ·
Back to Bermuda across the board. 1/3 yukon. 1/3 lat36. 1/3 tiftuf.

New sod in 2/3 of yard over the course of the summer in an effort to raise everything up. Lots of sandy loam, sand, peat. Drains are in place.

Lat36 did well under the tree for a year. I just couldn't get any more than the original pallet I got in early summer.
Had to settle for tif tuf. Which was more expensive by a lot. After having experiences with 419, lat36 and now tif tuf (got the stamped document and everything making it officially certified), I have to say 419 has a finer blade and is more pleasing to the eye. Lat36 crushes both. Yukon doesn't look like either and actually not like Bermuda in comparison. But judge yourself. All pics taken at same distance and same time of day with no filter.

Lat36

Yukon

Tiftuf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.