Lawn Care Forum banner

Tahoma 31 Lawn Journal - Upstate, SC

39K views 155 replies 28 participants last post by  Keepin It Reel 
#1 ·
A little late getting this posted but wanted to share what's been an exciting journey for my wife and I. This home needed some TLC and updating and here's some of the progress over the past year.

This is what we started with after the home sat vacant and on the market for nearly 2 years without selling. Well maintained inside but completely neglected and dated.

See less See more
#52 ·
Our pool is almost complete! Next up is the full backyard renovation and sod install.

#54 ·
BruceAlmighty22 said:
Keepin It Reel said:
Can't wait to get one of these dialed in and ready to roll!

Did you purchase these from River Falls? I'm hoping to purchase a reel mower this offseason.... fingers crossed.
No, hardly no one is using walk mowers anymore

#55 ·
Loving this mower. Nice upgrade over the Flex 21.

Just detailed her with this ultimate compound. Made a huge difference with the paint!

#57 ·
kc8qpu092200 said:
Does the flex head give a better cut?
Absolutely! Much truer than a fixed head especially for us who don't have a greens grade lawn.

#58 ·
Installing a new 8 blade reel and bedknife on the 2120.

Raised the HOC to just under 1/2" and the color is outstanding.

#59 ·
Got the new 8 blade and bedknife installed and added a few spacers for a little extra HOC until I get new shims.

#61 ·
Spoon feeding 46-0-0 at .25#/1k weekly until the first week of September. Helped recover from the fungus I had.

#63 ·
@Keepin It Reel Looks awesome - well done.

Questions for you since I also reel mow Tahoma.....are you reel mowing all 13k with the 21 inch machine? How often and how much clippings volume do you generate per cut? I don't have grass catchers on the 2653a and the clippings just ruin the final appearance and annoy the wife with dog tracking. What's your normal HOC before the raise to 1/2"? PGR I assume?

#64 ·
cglarsen said:
@Keepin It Reel Looks awesome - well done.

Questions for you since I also reel mow Tahoma.....are you reel mowing all 13k with the 21 inch machine? How often and how much clippings volume do you generate per cut? I don't have grass catchers on the 2653a and the clippings just ruin the final appearance and annoy the wife with dog tracking. What's your normal HOC before the raise to 1/2"? PGR I assume?
This past season I was mowing right at 6k with my walk mower. Once our pool was installed and backyard was sodded that added another 7k sqft so I bought a John Deere 2500 triplex.

I'll triplex all the yard besides the putting green I'll be cutting in this year.

#66 ·
csl23 said:
What kind of sand will you use for leveling?
I have a few options here but either white sand (usga) or masonry

#68 ·
harmonjw said:
Where would you recommend getting your masonry sand from in the Upstate? The guy I used passed away a few months ago and don't believe I will be able to get it from his location going forward.
Not sure where you're located but Carolina Fresh Farms has a nice "white sand" that's really fine.

You can get usga sand from Thomas Sand but it's about $45-50/yard

#69 ·
Keepin It Reel said:
harmonjw said:
Where would you recommend getting your masonry sand from in the Upstate? The guy I used passed away a few months ago and don't believe I will be able to get it from his location going forward.
Not sure where you're located but Carolina Fresh Farms has a nice "white sand" that's really fine.

Appreciate it. I am in Moore just off of 221 and 290. I will check out Carolina Fresh Farm.

Thanks again!

#70 ·
harmonjw said:
Keepin It Reel said:
harmonjw said:

Appreciate it. I am in Moore just off of 221 and 290. I will check out Carolina Fresh Farm.

Thanks again!
You're welcome. Carolina Fresh is in Duncan so that's very close to you.

They carry lots of great products. I ordered 10 yards of black dyed mulch from them last year that I was impressed with. No trash, nicely ground, quality dye that held color for a long time.

#71 ·
Keepin It Reel said:
kc8qpu092200 said:
Where did you get your Toro? They seem to be the Unicorn for Reel Mowers?
I come across these from time to time if you're looking I'll let you know the next time i have some.
I might be looking for a Flex 21. If you come across any please let me know. Not sure if you are still coming across them occasionally or not. Thanks!

#72 ·
Betucker3 said:
Keepin It Reel said:
kc8qpu092200 said:
Where did you get your Toro? They seem to be the Unicorn for Reel Mowers?
I come across these from time to time if you're looking I'll let you know the next time i have some.
I might be looking for a Flex 21. If you come across any please let me know. Not sure if you are still coming across them occasionally or not. Thanks!
Will do! Not sure what your HOC is but most of these mowers max around 1/2'' without a high height of cut kit.

#73 ·
Just a few photos from today's soil samples. The darker bag is from the front yard which was treated with humic acid versus the redder sample from the backyard which has never been treated. Interesting to see the comparison between the two.

The Tahoma is also greening up nicely for this time of year.

#75 ·
Greening up pretty good after the .200 scalp. The worms are also loving it.

#76 ·
BruceAlmighty22 said:
Very nice green up for this time of the year! I'm in Inman and my lawn looks to be a couple weeks behind yours.
That's one of the things I really like about this Tahoma 31. The early spring greenup and color retention going into fall is great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.