Lawn Care Forum banner

Tahoma 31 Lawn Journal - Upstate, SC

39K views 155 replies 28 participants last post by  Keepin It Reel 
#1 ·
A little late getting this posted but wanted to share what's been an exciting journey for my wife and I. This home needed some TLC and updating and here's some of the progress over the past year.

This is what we started with after the home sat vacant and on the market for nearly 2 years without selling. Well maintained inside but completely neglected and dated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Right before we were scheduled to close on our home the basement flooded after a bad storm. The entire perimeter of the home was dug down to the basement footer to waterproof everything, installed a french drain system, and divert the water to the back of the property.

In the process we lost all the foundation plants that we were going to redo anyways.

#3 ·
We then begin cutting down trees, grinding stumps, and preparing everything for new sod.

#4 ·
The entire yard was regraded, rototilled, and harley raked before the Tahoma 31 was installed. Between the front and side yard along with a small area in our fenced yard for the dogs we have 5500sqft of Tahoma. The rest of my backyard is about 8-10k sqft and we're having a pool installed currently. Once that is complete we will sod the back, just not sure which sod yet.

#5 ·
Most of these photos were taken within the first few days to 3 weeks of the sod install. This entire project began 9/2020 right before a cold front hit the Upstate, SC and then the growth started slowing down. Thankfully everything seemed to root fairly well before dormancy hit.

This was my first mow with the rotary just to knock the tops off a little. Afterwards I rolled the yard with my JD 220SL without the reel engaged and it also left some nice stripes.

#6 ·
Finally get started with our flowerbeds around 10/2020 and start carving out my beds.

Had some bad puddling so we installed a drain and tied it into the french drain system for the basement.

#7 ·
Finished the rest of the plants and got some mulch down.

Ordered some solar lights from Amazon and have been really happy with them so far. It's been 9 months and I haven't had a single issue with them.

This pretty much concludes all of 2020 for the exterior at least. Dormancy approached shortly after so we worked on the inside remodeling bathrooms, taking down walls, flooring, paint, etc....

#10 ·
littlehuman said:
Looking great! What kind of solar lights are those - do you have the Amazon link?
Yes sir!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083PTZVZB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#12 ·
Looks fantastic. Hope the installed drainage fixed the issue. Man what a stress attack that had to be close to closing. At least you were able to find out it was an issue before it was yours.

#14 ·
JRS 9572 said:
Looks fantastic. Hope the installed drainage fixed the issue. Man what a stress attack that had to be close to closing. At least you were able to find out it was an issue before it was yours.
The entire basement wall was water proofed and a French drain was installed around the entire home. We also got a new roof out of it as well.

The home was owned by a relocation company so it was a big insurance claim for them.

#15 ·
Tmank87 said:
Keepin It Reel said:
littlehuman said:
Looking great! What kind of solar lights are those - do you have the Amazon link?
Yes sir!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083PTZVZB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
How many lights do you have on the front elevation of your house in the previous picture?
6 total

#16 ·
These were from sometime in 3/2021. First scalp and spring with the new sod.

#17 ·
First signs of life around 3/2021

#20 ·
These are from the end of March to 4/2.

#21 ·
Few more photos from early April. Our neighbor gave us this yucca and i made a cedar planter for one of our Japanese maples.

#22 ·
These are from April to 5/3. We had a really odd spring with temperatures in the 80s one day to 30-40s the next. Night time temps all over the place as well.

#23 ·
Bring on the sand! Its level time.

Scalped to .250" and let the good times roll!

#25 ·
harmonjw said:
Looks really good. I am just down the road from you off old Spartanburg Highway in Rivermist. I will actually be out in River Falls this Friday and Saturday for golf.
That's awesome. I'm discovering theres a lot of Upstate guys here on this forum.

Not sure if you're in this Facebook group or not but it's an Upstate, SC lawn group. Feel free to check it out sometime.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/540730803980660

#26 ·
Keepin It Reel said:
harmonjw said:
Looks really good. I am just down the road from you off old Spartanburg Highway in Rivermist. I will actually be out in River Falls this Friday and Saturday for golf.
That's awesome. I'm discovering theres a lot of Upstate guys here on this forum.

Not sure if you're in this Facebook group or not but it's an Upstate, SC lawn group. Feel free to check it out sometime.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/540730803980660
Appreciate that. I hadn't seen that particular FB group. Yard is looking really good and love the front lawn maintenance you had done!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.