Lawn Care Forum banner

TTTF / SPF30 IN DFW Texas

14K views 33 replies 4 participants last post by  Lem855 
#1 ·
This spring I took the journey of growing a test plot at 300 Square feet of SPF30 hybrid kbg. I killed off the existing bermuda grass and leftover st. Augustine and much unwanted poa. 3 good doses of glyphosate timed several weeks apart. I dug up and pulled all the remaining dead grass, bagged, and left out for trash pickup. Yeah that's a bitch!
I tilled the soil by hand and then leveled the soil with a diy drag made from a small pallet and paver blocks. I must be nuts. But by the end of day it was level and ready for fertilizer and then seed. Here's a Pic of the progress.

See less See more
#6 ·
By summer she looked good and what I expected from KBG. Bi monthly spoon feeding of fish oil and kelp and mostly organic products seemed to make this lawn shine. We still had some bare spots due to loss of seed but I was hopeful that she would fill in on its own.

#7 ·
And now for the summer heat and higher levels of heat index. It surely did a number on my lawn , yes and some dog spots and some possum damage but she has given up and maybe at best has 50% left in her. I'm surely hope for some cooler temps and for a reseeding. I also have issues with the roots not seeming to be deep enough which is puzzling. It maybe time for a reset.

#8 ·
After some help from a landscaper friend who was intrested in my project he asked if I had some flooding issues during some heavy rains we had. He was under the impression that my grass roots have been starving of oxygen due to stagnant water. Sure enough we had several days where flooding was terrible. So we are planning to put some drains in the low spots and drain it out to the street. This should solve my issues. We'll here goes another reason to re reno the yard completely.

#9 ·
Final dug the trenches for the new drain lines in the French drain system. Just need to set the slope and run the 4" perfered flexible pipe and connect to solid pipe running to the street. Hopefully this will allow the soil to not be so saturated and flood the grass from now on.
Also my 1st application of glyphosate is finally doing a number on the common bermuda which riddles my larger section of the back yard. She's dead as a door nail.

#10 ·
So after installing the French drains and purchasing 2 yards of mix soil in preparation for leveling I decided to conduct some human core aeration. Tonight I'll apply some humichar, Air8 and humic acid before and after leveling. Then start to do pre germination of the seed for the throw down next weekend with some starter fertilizer.

#12 ·
UltimateLawn said:
Following. I thought KBG would not grow in DFW due to the Summer heat.
There a few of us in North Texas that have this KBG, some just the SPF30 and some mixed with either tttf or a different version of a heat tolerant variety. I had some flooding issues or I'd be still going strong on my original test plot.

#13 ·
After doing some research for starter fert I decided on scotts starter fert with mesotrione then finally seeded and fert and raked in like @jeffcaton mentioned. Hosed in some gcf GreenStart and Rgs, then decided to go with Pennington straw with tack. I couldn't find mulch lock localy so I decided to go with this option. Water schedule for 10 min on 7am-11-3-7pm till we see green. I was planning on pre-germinating the seed but with the weather dropping to between 60-mid 80's there's no better time than now! And didn't want to lose this window. Lets hope and 🙏 she will come in nicely.
Nothing more happier than watching your babies take a nappy nappy until they wakey wakey!
Thanks to all you SPF30 guys for helping me along the way!

#18 ·
20 days since seeding and 15 from date of germination and it's starting to look like something. Reseeded some bare spots that just didn't take well. Not sure if it's my dogs or squirrels trying to bury nuts.
Had a bad storm come through and dumped 1 " of rain in 20 min times with 40-60 mph winds and the grass and straw held up ok. Not so good for dead tree limbs in the neighborhood.
The new French drains worked like a charm diverting the water that collect in our yard and no flooding or squishy spots this morning. Here are some pics of the progress of the SPF30.

#19 ·
Day 24 since seeding and the lawn, looks good for such a short time but still far away from my first mow. Hopefully the weather will cooperate since temps are dropping into the mid 70's and low of 45-50 in the evenings. Just wished the temps would go back up for a few more weeks.

#21 ·
klsmith259 said:
Don't worry it will still grow throughout the cooler temps and will still germinate.
Thanks @klsmith259 , gonna switch from frequent watering 4x per day to 30-40 min 2x per week to start promoting deeper water and root penetration now till the first mow. I've got one more application of RGS and humic then I'll access it from there again.

#22 ·
Grass has grown quite a bit. Have given it its second cut with my fiskars reel mower at 1-1/2". Also have given it numerous weekly urea applications since it germinated. Have seen a more profound change in the density of the growth. Now my newest problem that I face are squirrels looking to dig holes in the yard trying to bury nuts or food for the winter. My newest toy is now an ultrasonic repellent for outdoors. Purchased a Broox ultrasonic sound wave and light repellent, hoping this will help, and not allow my yard to be destroyed after all this work months ago. Also reseeded some major spots from dog damage and spots just not germinating. Here are some pics updating the progress.

BROOX ULTRASONIC REPELLENT.

After the second mow

#23 ·
Well 3 months later and countless fertilizer treatments and weekly urea applications it's finally come in to something respectable. After a 10 day trip back home to Michigan and monitoring the watering schedule remotely it was time for a overdue mow. Here are some December pics before and after the mow and temps in DFW Texas expected to be be in high 70's-80's for Christmas week 😀

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.