Lawn Care Forum banner

Under 0.50 Reel mowed St Augustine

9K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  813king 
#1 ·
I've real mowed my back yard for over a year as a trial learning what, what not to do. My front yard had been like this for some time. I've documented a lot on TikTok and Instagram and decided this would be a better platform. I'm @.50 hoc and cut 2-3 times a week. I spoon feed every 14 days give or take. I'll be posting more in the near future. I hope everyone enjoys something a little different. ~Ron

See less See more
#2 ·
Lovely Lawn. :nod:

Must have great patientce not to be tempted to follow couch / bermuda lawnies in their lawn care application guides.
Lawn looks so healthy. Of course you have yellowing leaf blades. but that's the way it grows along the stolon.

What's your fertilier plan? and what does your once a year reno consist of?

:thumbup:

#9 ·
This is my latest mow from this past weekend. Still .50. The fungus issue is starting to recover nicely. Far from perfect but I'm happy with it. Hopefully one day I'll be lawn of the month.

#20 ·
@813king Amazing progress! I love your thread here. I have an expatriate Floridian friend who I've shown your photos and is dually amazed by your lawn.

College turf programs should study this low HOC practice. I wish all St. "Frankenstein" (those gnarly stolons) was kept like this. With the standard 5-7" HOC most people keep it at, it's like walking on plastic butter knives...

#21 ·
813king said:
I modified a commercial(not home unit) 2000ish model California Trimmer.
Interesting. I've been pondering trying a reel on my Citra Blue, simply for the better quality of cut, but I do not want to cut "reel low". I would definitely be 2"+. Yours looks absolutely incredible, but after maintaining previous lawns at fairway type HOCs, I know what is involved (serious work) and I don't want to go there currently, lol. I like mowing only two times a week 🤪

#22 ·
RentalLawn said:
@813king Amazing progress! I love your thread here. I have an expatriate Floridian friend who I've shown your photos and is dually amazed by your lawn.

College turf programs should study this low HOC practice. I wish all St. "Frankenstein" (those gnarly stolons) was kept like this. With the standard 5-7" HOC most people keep it at, it's like walking on plastic butter knives...
I am with you there. Most of the St. Augustine is maintained crazy tall. This allows the landscapers to cut much less frequently since they let it get overgrown and then come in and hack a few inches off :-(. The average homeowner probably doesn't care, and they probably never walk on the grass either!

#23 ·
TampaBayFL said:
I am with you there. Most of the St. Augustine is maintained crazy tall. This allows the landscapers to cut much less frequently since they let it get overgrown and then come in and hack a few inches off :-(. The average homeowner probably doesn't care, and they probably never walk on the grass either!
Yep, for the most of Florida being a shoe-optional state, it's really not a barefoot-friendly grass at those high HOCs. :lol:

#24 ·
RentalLawn said:
TampaBayFL said:
Yep, for the most of Florida being a shoe-optional state, it's really not a barefoot-friendly grass at those high HOCs. :lol:
Pretty much no one here walks on their lawns anyway, LOL. Plus, for the average homeowner (paying a landscaper) I think it's going to be much easier and cheaper just to maintain it on the tall side. They can bounce between 8" tall and 4" tall weekly and the grass tolerates it (despite not being happy about it and grumbling about it internally).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.