Warm season member lawn journals
daniel3507
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Common Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1800sq ft
Mower: Rotary

Daniel3507's Mediocre Lawn...Journal

Post by daniel3507 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:20 pm

March of 2017 we purchased our first home with lawn that was neglected for who knows how long. It was in pretty rough shape. Mostly dirt and weeds with some common bermuda.

I've always wanted a nice lawn and this is the first time I've had the chance to make it happen. I decided to hire a local company to come out and spray the weeds but not fertilize since I wanted to take care of that myself. Next season I am going to be doing the weed control on my own which I'm looking forward to. The bermuda started to fill in all on its own after I started to fertilize and the weeds start to die out. The edging was also over grown on each side of the sidewalk by at least a couple inches. This had to be manually cut and removed.

This spring I aerated the lawn and sprayed it down with a product called "Microbe Brew". It made a huge difference in the lawn and gave it a nice deep green.

As you can probably see, its not anywhere close to level so I can't get that nice super low cut like most guys here. Don't judge me too harsh, but currently I'm at 3.5"...... The lawn is just too bumpy to go much lower without scalping. I'm currently working on slowly filling in the deeper spots and plan to put sand down early next season to help reduce the bumps.

Thor865
Lawn of the Month
Grass Type: Tifgrand
Lawn Size: 6,000 sqft
Mower: John Deere 220E

Re: Daniel3507's Mediocre Lawn...Journal

Post by Thor865 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:13 pm

Welcome to TLF.

As most of us here, we are all on a journey.

If you look at @Ware @Redtenchu @wardconnor lawns, to name a few of the great ones on this site. They didn’t wake up one day and have a perfect lawn, it took many many years and learning from websites just like this one.

Looks like your off to a good start, and it has already dramatically improved. Feel free to ask any questions or concerns you have and everyone here will be glad to help.

Once again welcome to TLF and keep up the good work.
Last edited by Thor865 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redtenchu
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 5k
Mower: Toro GM Flex 21

Post by Redtenchu » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:29 am

Great progress so far!

daniel3507
TLF Supporter

Post by daniel3507 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:50 am

Went out last night to try and calibrate my cheap 2 gallon sprayer and had some struggles with it. I couldn't keep a straight line to save my life and tip was so fine and narrow it made it very difficult to get even coverage. Might end up going with a dfw_wand before I make the jump into a PGR.

Thor865
Lawn of the Month

Post by Thor865 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:51 pm

daniel3507 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:50 am
Went out last night to try and calibrate my cheap 2 gallon sprayer and had some struggles with it. I couldn't keep a straight line to save my life and tip was so fine and narrow it made it very difficult to get even coverage. Might end up going with a dfw_wand before I make the jump into a PGR.
Many of us here use the chapin 4 gal battery backpack sprayer. And it accepts teejet nozzles so you can swap depending on foliar or soil apps.

daniel3507
TLF Supporter

Post by daniel3507 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:12 pm

Thor865 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:51 pm
daniel3507 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:50 am
Many of us here use the chapin 4 gal battery backpack sprayer. And it accepts teejet nozzles so you can swap depending on foliar or soil apps.
Does the non battery power one accept teejet nozzles? Not sure if I'm willing to splurge for the battery option.

DR_GREENTHUMB
Grass Type: Bermuda & Fescue
Lawn Size: 2000 sq ft
Mower: Jacobsen Eclipse / Honda

Post by DR_GREENTHUMB » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:17 am

Looks great!

Bermuda_Newbie
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419 Hybrid Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2500 sq ft
Mower: Swardman Electra 18"

Post by Bermuda_Newbie » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:14 am

One benefit of the battery powered one is it sprays a consistent pressure so you don't have to buy a pressure regulator and modify your wand. There's a thread called the DFW wand in the equipment section. If you don't do the battery powered then you might want to look at that.

daniel3507
TLF Supporter

Post by daniel3507 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:56 pm

After my poor experience with the small sprayer I decided to pull the trigger on a Chapin 61800 and a xr1104 teejet nozzle. I wasn't willing to spend the money on the battery one for my small lawn plus it looks like some people have been having issues. The 61800 showed up today and I went out to test it out and calibrate it. Wow. What a difference a quality sprayer and nozzle makes. The spray pattern was perfect and it made quick work. It was actually pretty fun to do. Now I just have to wait for a dry day to hit it PGR! Does the grass need to be completely dry for the PGR?

Thor865
Lawn of the Month

Post by Thor865 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:41 pm

daniel3507 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:56 pm
After my poor experience with the small sprayer I decided to pull the trigger on a Chapin 61800 and a xr1104 teejet nozzle. I wasn't willing to spend the money on the battery one for my small lawn plus it looks like some people have been having issues. The 61800 showed up today and I went out to test it out and calibrate it. Wow. What a difference a quality sprayer and nozzle makes. The spray pattern was perfect and it made quick work. It was actually pretty fun to do. Now I just have to wait for a dry day to hit it PGR! Does the grass need to be completely dry for the PGR?
Best time to spray PGR is the early morning when there’s dew on the ground. It’s like spraying with marker dye except you don’t need the dye. Helps with even coverage and to eliminate missed areas or overlap issues.

Colonel K0rn
Grass Type: Royal Bengal Bermuda
Lawn Size: 13k
Mower: Toro GM Flex 21

Post by Colonel K0rn » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:44 pm

That microbe brew results looks like it was good stuff! Tell me more, inquiring minds want to know.
I tend to edit because I forgot to put something in my post.
CK's 2017 Reno thread
CK's Lawn Journal

daniel3507
TLF Supporter

Post by daniel3507 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:12 am

Colonel K0rn wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:44 pm
That microbe brew results looks like it was good stuff! Tell me more, inquiring minds want to know.
The Microbe Brew is designed more for plants I think. It is a liquid "microbial inoculant" that is supposed to help the roots colonize with beneficial bacteria and fungus. It seems to be similar to compost tea. I used it on my from flower bed after planting some native plants and had good results so I decided to try it on my lawn. I'm pretty happy with the results and have friends that have done the same with the excellent results as well. Its pretty concentrated and smells like crap but a quart bottle has lasted me awhile and gave me a nice dark green color. I think next time I might try RGS or Holganix Lawn though.
Last edited by daniel3507 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

daniel3507
TLF Supporter

Post by daniel3507 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:01 pm

Put down my first application of PGR last Wednesday. Common Bermuda so I went .75oz/1000sqft. Added some cheap liquid iron I had on hand too. I think I messed up by doing it right after mowing and by taking a little more off than I should have. The lawn looks like it could use some water despite getting a few inches last week. Hopefully it bounces back soon. Also need to sharpen my blade. The small black spots on the grass are a little concerning and I could stand to dethatch too

daniel3507
TLF Supporter

Post by daniel3507 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:12 pm

Got the results of my first ever soil test back yesterday. No surprises really. I knew I would need to add lime but kept holding off doing it until I had it tested. Calling for the max of 80 pounds per 1K split of between fall (now) and spring time. The phosphorus seemed pretty high which was surprising. I mostly use Milorganite but would like to switch to Carbon-X if I can find it this year which should help prevent it from going higher. I'm going to add the lime and potash in the next couple of weeks and then hit it with the rest of the lime come April or May.

daniel3507
TLF Supporter

Post by daniel3507 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:00 pm

Scalped it this evening now that it's warmed up and there aren't any freezing temperatures in the forecast. Was able to give the fescue a haircut too. I did scalp a little low in a few spots since it's not level. Hopefully it doesn't mess with the pre em. Looking forward to a nice green up though!

No pictures of the lawn but I do have the evidence below

Austinite
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda: Latitude 36
Lawn Size: 5500
Mower: Electra+Edwin+Timemaster+Robot

Post by Austinite » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:06 pm

That's a thick bermuda blade! Looking good!
ImageImageImage

daniel3507
TLF Supporter

Post by daniel3507 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:13 pm

Went ahead and mowed this evening for the first time after scalping and using a manual thatch rake. Mowed at 2" and really didn't get much in the bag. Just wanted to to clean up some of the dead stuff. Might have to do it again a little bit lower to really clean it up but it's not looking too bad I guess.

You can tell I didn't dethatch the smaller side. It hasn't greened up as quickly.
Also put down .75lbs of N before the rain tomorrow to see what happens with it. Used the Screamin Green I had on hand. I should have enough to do a full 1lb of N later on if the Carbon X doesn't show up soon.

The dog has done some damage to the lawn around the mailbox but it bounced back last year. I may try Holganix this year on the entire lawn and specifically on this area. Was interested in N-Ext products but this is just easier to get.

All the perennial flowers are starting to come in nice too!

daniel3507
TLF Supporter

Post by daniel3507 » Thu May 02, 2019 7:09 pm

Mowed at 2" the other day before we got 2" of rain. It's growing at a good pace so I think pgr might be this weekend. The lawn responded really nice to the Screamin Green though. Neighbors are dealing with a minor POA problem now. Plus, the wife got me some iron for my birthday!

daniel3507
TLF Supporter

Post by daniel3507 » Tue May 07, 2019 12:52 pm

Since I'm off work this week I took advantage of the time and the break in rain to put down my first ever foliar iron application and my second ever pgr application. Last year I was heavy handed with pgr and went with .75oz/M. Way too much and the lawn looked dormant the rest of the year. I went with .20 this time. I'm a little nervous about how it will all turn out but I guess we will see what happens!

dwills02
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4,000sqft
Mower: TruCut 27" / Husqvarna LH AWD

Post by dwills02 » Fri May 10, 2019 2:56 pm

How much of the AS and Ferrous did you put down per 1k?