Alabama Aaron's Lawn Journal

Warm season member lawn journals
User avatar
Aawickham78
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:07 am
Location: Athens, Alabama Zone 8
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway419/Meyer Zoysia
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: 2016 TORO FLEX 2120-14 blade
Contact:

Alabama Aaron's Lawn Journal

Post by Aawickham78 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:32 am

I purchased this house built in Feb-2015. Grass was installed in the middle of winter.



Image




Needless to say I was not a happy camper with the lawn.
I had a the majority of the grass removed and new sod installed Tif419.


Image
The day I moved in March 14-2015

Started by expanding all the flower beds.





Image

I was tires of Bermuda creeping into my flower beds so I went with Formed Concrete Edging.

Image


Image

I was still learning what to do with the grass, focusing more on landscaping at this point .
Added another bed next to the garage.


Image




Image

Then Added the Edging to the Corner and started working on the backyards landscaping.,





Image



Now to work on grass!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:


Different stripes over the last 2 years


Image

Image



Image



Image
Topdressing and aerating with manure, brush it in, then top-dress with sand

Image



Aerate too many times...
Topdress too many times

Manure top-dress and aerate with sand, every March.
Image
Image
Image

ROll ROll ROll/ Level Level Level
Verticutt/ Sand/Verticutt Sand
Sand Sand Sand...….

Fast Forward 2 years




Image

Image

The Final Result :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Image

Image






Image








Image

Image

They grow up soo fast !!!








Image

Taken August 17-2018

Time For some Stripes !!!








Image




Image



Image

Image


Flowers, Flowers and More Flowers!!




Image

Image






Image


AND WE ARE HERE 8-23-2018!

Next we will tackle the back yard!!!

I had the same envision for the back yard.


2 years
over 500 shrubs and flowers.
Endless hours
2 truckloads of topsoil
42 cases of Bud Light

Here is the Back yard.

First is the Flower Garden.
Over 300 bulbs

Before


Image

Image


Image

Image

Image
After.

Next is the Garden and Green House .


Image




Image

After


Image





Image

Landscaping in backyard.


Image

I do have dogs, So keeping the backyard free of pee spots is impossible.
Last edited by Aawickham78 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:35 am, edited 8 times in total.
Aaron

User avatar
iFisch3224
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:47 am
Location: Tavares, FL
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 4,000
Mower: Honda HRR216

Re: Alabama Aaron's Lawn Journal

Post by iFisch3224 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:37 pm

Beautiful. Scrolled through every photo - simply stunning. I admire all the hard work, time and money invested.

Well done and congratulations on the property. :thumbup: :thumbup: :nod:

User avatar
Aawickham78
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:07 am
Location: Athens, Alabama Zone 8
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway419/Meyer Zoysia
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: 2016 TORO FLEX 2120-14 blade
Contact:

Re: Alabama Aaron's Lawn Journal

Post by Aawickham78 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:25 am

iFisch3224 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:37 pm
Beautiful. Scrolled through every photo - simply stunning. I admire all the hard work, time and money invested.

Well done and congratulations on the property. :thumbup: :thumbup: :nod:
Thanks!
I really appreciate that !
Aaron

User avatar
iFisch3224
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:47 am
Location: Tavares, FL
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 4,000
Mower: Honda HRR216

Re: Alabama Aaron's Lawn Journal

Post by iFisch3224 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:55 am

Aawickham78 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:25 am
iFisch3224 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:37 pm
Beautiful. Scrolled through every photo - simply stunning. I admire all the hard work, time and money invested.

Well done and congratulations on the property. :thumbup: :thumbup: :nod:
Thanks!
I really appreciate that !
Absolutely. Have a great weekend and keep up the great work! :nod: :D

User avatar
N LA Hacker
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:09 am
Location: NW Louisiana
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 10,000 sq ft
Mower: Iron eagle 50"

Re: Alabama Aaron's Lawn Journal

Post by N LA Hacker » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:44 am

Good stuff, man!

User avatar
dtillman5
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:32 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL
Grass Type: Tif 419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 8k
Mower: Swardman 55

Re: Alabama Aaron's Lawn Journal

Post by dtillman5 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:23 pm

Lovin this journal, I’m not far from you in Harvest AL. I’ve got a ways to go to get to where you are! Awesome job! RTR!
Last edited by dtillman5 on Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Engineer: "Someone who gets excited about things no one else cares about. :D "

User avatar
Stellar P
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:12 pm
Location: Montgomery, Tx
Grass Type: St Aug 90%/Bermuda 10% Mix
Lawn Size: Ft: 4500 Bk: 5000
Mower: Toro 22" Recycler - Rotary

Re: Alabama Aaron's Lawn Journal

Post by Stellar P » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:33 pm

Wow! Your place is beautiful. I love the bed work.
Aawickham78 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:32 am

Image
What are the tall purple plants with the red flowers? One of the homes in my neighborhood has them as a centerpiece in their front yard and I've been obsessing over them for years. I've contemplated knocking on the front door and just asking, but the old owners have moved long ago and I'm sure the new owners wouldn't know based on how unkempt the yard has become. Are the borders stamped concrete?

Call me smuckers, cause I'm jelly!

User avatar
Aawickham78
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:07 am
Location: Athens, Alabama Zone 8
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway419/Meyer Zoysia
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: 2016 TORO FLEX 2120-14 blade
Contact:

Re: Alabama Aaron's Lawn Journal

Post by Aawickham78 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:49 pm

Stellar P wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:33 pm
Wow! Your place is beautiful. I love the bed work.
Aawickham78 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:32 am

Image
What are the tall purple plants with the red flowers? One of the homes in my neighborhood has them as a centerpiece in their front yard and I've been obsessing over them for years. I've contemplated knocking on the front door and just asking, but the old owners have moved long ago and I'm sure the new owners wouldn't know based on how unkempt the yard has become. Are the borders stamped concrete?

Call me smuckers, cause I'm jelly!
Thanks Brother !!
These are a Canna lily ( King Humbert Red ) They are a Perinnial from a tuber. They can get over 10 ft tall. My Gutter is 8 ft .
I have to cut to the ground every year.
One tuber will grow multiple stalks. They spread like wildfire. If you aren't careful they can take over.
When I planted them 2 years ago there was 10 stalks. 1 stalk per tuber planted( I would say now each clump has 15-20 stalks so close to 200 stalks.

Here is 1 month of growth>>>


4.9 MB IMG_6844.JPG Check Error
Image

4 months of growth >>>>>


0.7 MB IMG_7499.JPG Check Error
Image



1 year of growth >>>>>>


0.5 MB IMG_7673.JPG Check Error
Image


They thrive off the heat stored in the brick.
Aaron

Iriasj2009
Lawn of the Month
Posts: 803
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:32 pm
Location: Houston
Grass Type: Tifgrand Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2500 sqft
Mower: Toro gm1000
Contact:

Re: Alabama Aaron's Lawn Journal

Post by Iriasj2009 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:49 pm

Keep the pics coming man. Great place!

User avatar
Aawickham78
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:07 am
Location: Athens, Alabama Zone 8
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway419/Meyer Zoysia
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: 2016 TORO FLEX 2120-14 blade
Contact:

Re: Alabama Aaron's Lawn Journal

Post by Aawickham78 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:40 am

Iriasj2009 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:49 pm
Keep the pics coming man. Great place!
Thanks,

It has been a lot of hard work! Here is a cool pic taken last summer!



2.4 MB IMG_8081.JPG Check Error
Image
Aaron

User avatar
jayhawk
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:49 pm
Location: metro atlanta
Grass Type: zoysia; tifgrand beauty strip
Lawn Size: Yuuuge 2500
Mower: TruCut
Contact:

Re: Alabama Aaron's Lawn Journal

Post by jayhawk » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:33 pm

Glad you're here.

Did the concrete edging stop the Bermuda? Maybe a little?

User avatar
Aawickham78
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:07 am
Location: Athens, Alabama Zone 8
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway419/Meyer Zoysia
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: 2016 TORO FLEX 2120-14 blade
Contact:

Re: Alabama Aaron's Lawn Journal

Post by Aawickham78 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:29 am

jayhawk wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:33 pm
Glad you're here.

Did the concrete edging stop the Bermuda? Maybe a little?
Hey Jayhawk. Yes, It stopped the Bermuda runners from getting into my flower beds .99%
Every once in a while , I will get some stragglers .
Aaron

User avatar
Aawickham78
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:07 am
Location: Athens, Alabama Zone 8
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway419/Meyer Zoysia
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: 2016 TORO FLEX 2120-14 blade
Contact:

Re: Alabama Aaron's Lawn Journal

Post by Aawickham78 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:48 am

Great mow today today, Scalped a week ago, and did a nitrogen blast. Now I am ready !!!
Image
Aaron

User avatar
Aawickham78
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:07 am
Location: Athens, Alabama Zone 8
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway419/Meyer Zoysia
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: 2016 TORO FLEX 2120-14 blade
Contact:

Re: Alabama Aaron's Lawn Journal

Post by Aawickham78 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:58 am

Playing with the stripes, Still have some bare spots from the mid August scalp. It should fill in the next week. 90 ‘s with afternoon showers all week!!!



Funny story is my neighbors Myers zoysia has creeped over into my yard. I am cutting the same . Can you see where the Zoysia stops and Bermuda starts.Both cut at 7mm..



Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Aaron

User avatar
iFisch3224
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:47 am
Location: Tavares, FL
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 4,000
Mower: Honda HRR216

Re: Alabama Aaron's Lawn Journal

Post by iFisch3224 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:57 pm

Love it! Love the idea of a putting green in the front yard. Great job!! :thumbup:

User avatar
ctrav
Posts: 561
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:39 pm
Location: Northlake, TX
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 30K
Mower: Toro SS4225 ZTR

Re: Alabama Aaron's Lawn Journal

Post by ctrav » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:05 pm

Super nice lawn! Ok whats the secret to plants in the flower bed? I cant grow dirt! What sprinklers did you use in the beds? Sprinkler looks totally different than mine... What is the border material you used? It really stands out! Hope you dont mind me asking :)

Here is a pick of my flower bed which I planted on Sunday morning...its just Thursday now and yes I watered :oops:

Image

Image

Image
MY JOURNAL

Much of your pain is self chosen!

User avatar
Aawickham78
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:07 am
Location: Athens, Alabama Zone 8
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway419/Meyer Zoysia
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: 2016 TORO FLEX 2120-14 blade
Contact:

Re: Alabama Aaron's Lawn Journal

Post by Aawickham78 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:34 pm

ctrav wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:05 pm
Super nice lawn! Ok whats the secret to plants in the flower bed? I cant grow dirt! What sprinklers did you use in the beds? Sprinkler looks totally different than mine... What is the border material you used? It really stands out! Hope you dont mind me asking :)

Here is a pick of my flower bed which I planted on Sunday morning...its just Thursday now and yes I watered :oops:

Image

Image

Image
Hey! Thank you for the kind words. The key to flower growth is to treat them like you would growing tomatoes. I put fresh soil in my beds every time I plant. 400 annuals twice a year. I use a 3 part combination of 1/2 topsoil , 1/2 garden miracle grow mix, and mix in Osmocote slow release fertilizer for plants and shrubs. After I plant them I pack the dirt around each plant ina small mound. Then I cover all the topsoil with a light layer of mulch. This will hold the moisture in and prevent evaporation.

My sprinkler system for every shrub and tree is a sub-soil drip system that keeps all the water below the soil level. I also have misters that cover the annuals.

Also it is important to always water early in the morning. You want the plants to use the water before the sun comes out. Think of a steam bag in the microwave. If you water what it’s hot, you can steam the flowers from the inside out.

Also, don’t water too much. This will cause the roots to rot.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image



These pictures are from last october, I plant Pansies for the winter.
Image

Image

Image

This is to show you the difference in the concrete edging colors. I just Painted it to match the fence.

Look up formed concrete edging or stamped concrete curbing. It will typically run $7-8 bucks a foot installed. It’s low maintenance and looks great!
Last edited by Aawickham78 on Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron

User avatar
ctrav
Posts: 561
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:39 pm
Location: Northlake, TX
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 30K
Mower: Toro SS4225 ZTR

Re: Alabama Aaron's Lawn Journal

Post by ctrav » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:08 pm

Aawickham78 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:34 pm
ctrav wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:05 pm
Super nice lawn! Ok whats the secret to plants in the flower bed? I cant grow dirt! What sprinklers did you use in the beds? Sprinkler looks totally different than mine... What is the border material you used? It really stands out! Hope you dont mind me asking :)

Here is a pick of my flower bed which I planted on Sunday morning...its just Thursday now and yes I watered :oops:

Image

Image

Image
Hey! Thank you for the kind words. The key to flower growth is to treat them like you would growing tomatoes. I put fresh soil in my beds every time I plant. 400 annuals twice a year. I use a 3 part combination of 1/2 topsoil , 1/2 garden miracle grow mix, and mix in Osmocote slow release fertilizer for plants and shrubs. After I plant them I pack the dirt around each plant ina small mound. Then I cover all the topsoil with a light layer of mulch. This will hold the moisture in and prevent evaporation.

My sprinkler system for every shrub and tree is a sub-soil drip system that keeps all the water below the soil level. I also have misters that cover the annuals.

Also it is important to always water early in the morning. You want the plants to use the water before the sun comes out. Think of a steam bag in the microwave. If you water what it’s hot, you can steam the flowers from the inside out.

Also, don’t water too much. This will cause the roots to rot.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image



These pictures are from last october, I plant Pansies for the winter.
Image

Image

Image

This is to show you the difference in the concrete edging colors. I just Painted it to match the fence.

Look up formed concrete edging or stamped concrete curbing. It will typically run $7-8 bucks a foot installed. It’s low maintenance and looks great!
Did you say treat them as tomatoes?? OK they are dead before they go in the ground :) :)
I have tried to do tomatoes at least 5 different years. I tried seed, plants, buckets...you name it!
MY JOURNAL

Much of your pain is self chosen!

User avatar
Aawickham78
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:07 am
Location: Athens, Alabama Zone 8
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway419/Meyer Zoysia
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: 2016 TORO FLEX 2120-14 blade
Contact:

Re: Alabama Aaron's Lawn Journal

Post by Aawickham78 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:51 am

This is taken Saturday afternoon. My house faces north. Trimmed the flowers to keep them off the grass. Played around with the stripes. Did a little putting. HOC is .25

I still have one low spot I am addressing with sand to level.


Image

Image Image
Last edited by Aawickham78 on Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron

User avatar
N LA Hacker
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:09 am
Location: NW Louisiana
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 10,000 sq ft
Mower: Iron eagle 50"

Re: Alabama Aaron's Lawn Journal

Post by N LA Hacker » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:48 am

Go Dawgs.





Great looking lawn, A-a-ron.
Last edited by N LA Hacker on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply