Colonel K0rn's Journal

Warm season member lawn journals
Colonel K0rn
Grass Type: Royal Bengal Bermuda
Lawn Size: 13k
Mower: Toro GM Flex 21

Colonel K0rn's lawn journal 2018

Post by Colonel K0rn » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:38 pm

As pictured in some other posts, I realized that I was going to have a green & winter weed infested yard because I opted not to go with a PreM this past winter. I had a huge stand of poa annua on the North side of the house, but to be honest, I couldn't stop looking at the overgrown mess from my neighbor's lot that has destroyed sections of my fence. The past 2 days, I have been practicing no restraint when it comes to using a 16' pole saw. I got my prodiamine down on Thursday, and rented the saw on Friday for the weekend. My neighbors that are next to me on the other side of the overgrown lot are going to use the saw to clear their fence line tomorrow.

Friday, I scalped and sprayed, and I started feeling some of those muscles awaken that I haven't used for a few months. It might be time for some new yard shoes :D You can see the nice stand of annual bluegrass in this photo, but I did scalp it as low as I wanted to go in this area. I'm hoping that with the increased amount of light that will be coming through on this side of the house will help with the grass growth.

Yes, I can leave stripes on my dormant bermuda. The front yard wasn't as bad as the North side of the house. But it's still bad. I have no doubt my grass will repair and take over what damage is there now. I also have plans to get drainage installed in the lot soon, before the Spring rain comes. Fun Fun!

Here's where I spent the most "painful" portion of the weekend. Today, my Fitbit says I've walked 17,118 steps today, which is 8.51 miles (13.68 KM) and my legs don't hurt; it's my arms. They feel like spaghetti. :cry: The pole saw STIHL HT 131 has a cutting length of 16' and a weight of 17.2 lbs (7.8 kg). I found what allowed me to go for the past 2 days and not get burnt out quickly was to cut for 3-5 minutes, and then take a break. I'd usually get a limb or two cut down, pieced, and then I would move to the next. I'd take the non-saw time to chunk it over the fence. I worked from 8AM until 4 PM, with many breaks in between. It got into the low 80's here, and spotted several areas of the new bermuda poking through the canopy. :mrgreen:

My wife snapped this yesterday. I was dealing will all kinds of ground vines that were crawling up the trees into the branches. So I'd cut a limb loose from the tree, and it would be suspended in air by the vines on the next highest limb.Image

This AM
An example of what kind of damage this lot has done to our property.

Finally done!

"Oh, that doesn't look that bad man." Pfft, I didn't realize how messed up my fence was and how much crap I had removed until I snapped this picture. That one large limb at the bottom of the photo is about 8" in diameter. The blue barrel was sitting upright and full of water. I got my hole boring bit, drilled a 1 1/4" hole in it to drain, and when it was empty, flipped it over. Hope this cuts down on the mosquitos that always came from over here. My wife has commented that she wanted to get a PVC fence like our neighbors. Going to give pressure washing ours a try first.Image

Next up on the agenda, for tomorrow is to go with a high rate of Celsius, along with a high rate of Certainty all over everything that is green in the front and the back yard. Hoping this will give me a leg up come spring, which really isn't that far away in my neck of the woods. I already have visible pollen on my vehicles, and I know a lot of it was coming from trees that I was cutting down, because they'd let off huge clouds of pollen when they fell. I also was being checked out by several carpenter bees 8-)
I tend to edit because I forgot to put something in my post.
CK's 2017 Reno thread
CK's Lawn Journal

Ware
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Re: Colonel K0rn's lawn journal 2018

Post by Ware » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:11 pm

Wow - that was some work CK!

The lot next door is a foreclosure? Does the city do anything to help? I know municipalities can be reluctant to sink much time/money into that kind of stuff because while they can file a lien for the clean-up costs, it’s sort of a ‘get in line’ type thing where any money actually recovered could take years to see.

Here we have a state statute with a provision for a “priority clean-up lien” where a city or town can actually be granted priority status over other lienholders for clean-up work undertaken on an unsafe and vacant structure or weed lot, but it’s a lot of legal legwork and the caps are pretty low.

J_nick
Grass Type: Riviera Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: 220B

Post by J_nick » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:13 pm

Dang nice work K0rn. I’ll give you a pointer to save your arms next time. You’re cutting way too high next time cut them at ground level :mrgreen:

g-man
Grass Type: Front: NoMix Back: Bewitched
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:26 pm

I was thinking the same as j_nick. Take the panels off the post and cut low.

Colonel K0rn

Post by Colonel K0rn » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:46 pm

g-man wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:26 pm
I was thinking the same as j_nick. Take the panels off the post and cut low.
Fair enough. There were several trees that had a lot of branches that were way over my property line and were leaning over the fence. The pine tree at the end is one of those trees. I had to leave those up, and am probably going to hire an arborist to take them down. However, there were trees that were leaning away, and had a lot of limbs on them. Those were felled as I used the ladder to climb over the fence, and drop them where they lay. Those larger ones are underneath all the cut up limbs. There's a ton of stuff that got removed. I just didn't take a panoramic picture before I started. You think I'm gonna make this as hard on myself as possible? :lol:

I think it'll be really evident once the leaves come in how much was removed. Compare it with the pics from last year.
CK's 2017 Reno thread
CK's Lawn Journal

Movingshrub
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 13,000 SQFT
Mower: Honda Rotary

Post by Movingshrub » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:36 pm

Time to spray your neighbors yard with spike 80df or basal base applications of triclopyr when the weather is correct for it.

Colonel K0rn

Post by Colonel K0rn » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:41 pm

I'm about 3 days behind from posting this, because this past week, I've been working on getting power out to my shed. I got a quote from an electrician for $1,700, so I decided to take it on myself, with some guidance from a friend who is an electrician. Total cost is a little over $400, and a few days worth of work. I've been wanting to have power out to my shed since I had it installed, because I dabble in woodworking, and general repairs around the house.

The most arduous task was digging the trench to the required depth to bury the 4-conductor 2 AWG wire to my shed. Thankfully the run was only about 20', which took the better part of a day. I installed a 100 amp sub-panel on the inside of the wall, along with a few breakers for outlets and lights, and a dedicated GFCI circuit for the pool pump. I checked the cost of renting a trencher, and the local rental place wanted $155 for a 4-hour rental :shock: ... wow, I'm in the wrong business. I put my son to work with the 5" trenching spade, and we got it done.

After driving in the two 8' ground rods, and running some bare copper for the ground of the sub panel, and a ground for the pump motor, I was pretty wiped. I got up the next day, and felt pain in muscles that I haven't used in a while. My wife gave me some Aleve with my morning coffee :D , because I had to fish the wires through the attic into 1 1/2" conduit, across the raised ceiling in the living room, and down the walls into the service panel, which is at the front of the house. In total, the run is just over 95' long. That size wire doesn't like to be moved easily. I've still got some holes in the drywall to patch up, where I found it easier to just cut the holes to guide the wire through the fire blocks on the wall, and into the panel. I told my wife that I wouldn't consider the job done until I have the holes patched up, mudded, sanded and ready to paint, of which I have a quart of Sherwin-Williams ready to apply.

I do have to say that after I got the pool pump hooked up on the second day, and some of the lights and outlets wired in the shed, we sat down for dinner. I said the blessing, and we started eating. I had just put my second fork full of carrots into my mouth when all of the lights in the house went off, and the UPS'es started beeping. My wife and I looked at each other, and I had one of those OSh*t moments... Then the power came back on. Long enough for me to start running through the protocol of what went wrong. I asked her to text our neighbor if her power went off, and when she was typing it, she got a text from said neighbor who asked her what I had done to make the power go off. We laughed, and said, "Whew, ok I didn't do anything to make that happen."

While filling in the trench the next day, I had to snap a picture of some of the bermuda that was by the pool, and I was absolutely amazed at the root lengths of the sections that I was replanting. Keep in mind, I do not irrigate this area regularly, and this is the only area that got treated with N-Ext RGS and PGR last season. Image

I do need to throw this picture up, because this is what the back yard looked like on 2/28/18.I sprayed the front and the back yard with Celsius and Certainty as an attempt to get some of the winter weeds dead, and hopefully harm some of the poa that covered everything. In this picture, everything that is yellow was a weed that was affected, and I would have had a faster kill had the temps been higher. It's been unseasonably cold here, but it's getting warmer daily.

I've walked the front yard almost every day, checking for some of the areas where I had thick growth, and I'm seeing more and more of the renovated areas waking up, and I'll be damned if I'm not seeing some of the areas of carpetgrass reappear. Well, I know what will take care of that grass. I've got more weeds that I need to spray that aren't dying, but I'm wondering if I should just hold off until I get more of the "new" grass to wake up more before I do another application of Celsius/Certainty. If they haven't died yet, I'm sure another spritz will do them in. Also, we're due to get a pretty decent soaking on Sunday, so I'm hoping that will bring forth some more green-up of the lawn.
CK's 2017 Reno thread
CK's Lawn Journal

Colonel K0rn

Post by Colonel K0rn » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:11 pm

Today I applied the rest of the N-Ext RGS that I had at 3oz/K and Bifen to the entire lot. I despise ants, and have a pretty severe reaction to their stings and don't want them anywhere near my yard. Having an insect free yard last year was an awesome experience, and I wanted to keep that continuing. Nothing more enjoyable like walking through your own grass barefoot, considering I had stickers and assorted things in the yard last year that would make you avoid areas! :cry:

As I was walking the lawn yesterday, :search: I noticed that there were areas in the front that were coming out of dormancy, which I attribute to those being closer to the driveway and road. The soil temps in those areas are naturally higher, even though the weather here has been unseasonably cold. It's encouraging to see that I didn't lose the whole lawn, as I see more and more signs of life from the areas that I spent a lot of labor on last year. What I didn't like were the new areas of growth of carpet grass, that has reared it's ugly head in my lawn again.

I spot treated the areas of carpet grass that I saw with a medium rate of Celsius, and hoping that I'll get ahead of the game with some rainfall in the forecast, and warmer weather coming up in the next few weeks.

On to the pics. I'm embarrassed by the condition of it, but then again, I'm not. I know what is still dormant underneath, and what I had growing last year. Pre-E won't be missed again. I knew when I undertook the renovation, it was going to be a 2-3 year project. Just growing pains, pardon the pun. :lol:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Here are two pictures of the thick areas of carpet grass that were sprayed today. They were primarily along the edges of the property,
ImageImage

This picture shows the bermuda that is coming out of dormancy by the driveway, along with some of the carpet grass that got zapped, and the dying poa that got sprayed last month.

Last area is the large dormant area in front of the house, where I had a load of sand spread out, and surprisingly enough, no signs of carpet grass. Although this area seems to be the most dormant area of the lawn, I see more and more leaves coming up every day.

Comments/suggestions/encouragements are welcome.
CK's 2017 Reno thread
CK's Lawn Journal

Mightyquinn
Grass Type: Tifway 419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 8,000 ft²
Mower: Baroness LM56(x2)

Post by Mightyquinn » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:07 am

Looking good CK, I'm sure once the lawn wakes up and starts to thicken up, a lot of your weed issue will start to diminish.

raldridge2315
Lawn Size: 4.7k
Mower: Tru-Cut P-20

Post by raldridge2315 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:30 am

Mightyquinn wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:07 am
Looking good CK, I'm sure once the lawn wakes up and starts to thicken up, a lot of your weed issue will start to diminish.
What he said.

social port
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20K
Mower: Gravely ZT 42

Post by social port » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:37 am

I can't believe how much work you've already done. Not everyone can install electrical lines, fight a neighboring property disaster, and create the conditions for a perfect lawn all in the same month. That's pretty awesome, if you ask me.

Colonel K0rn

Post by Colonel K0rn » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:43 pm

I discovered this evening that you can view past street images that Google takes with the Street View car. I clipped this picture of my lot when it was taken about 10 months after we moved in. I miss my Prelude :(

Indicative of the poor soil, I can make out 4 dead trees that I planted out of 7, and none of them survived. Also present is the huge overgrown lot that I cleaned out this year; you can see how long I was dealing with this hot mess. I tried to make it work as best I could for an amateur.

Last edited by Colonel K0rn on Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CK's 2017 Reno thread
CK's Lawn Journal

Colonel K0rn

Post by Colonel K0rn » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:04 pm

Well, so much for the warmer weather in the forecast.

My front yard looks slightly greener than it did on the 10th, and I've seen more and more areas of bermuda that were bare start showing signs of life, and the back yard is looking much better. I still have some poa that's growing, but not as much as there was over the winter. I'm hoping that the prodiamine that I put down in Feb helps limit the new germination that we had when the weather got "warmer" for a few weeks that kicked off the Spring blooms, and that with warmer days forecasted, the grass will come out of dormancy and choke it out. As for spraying anything else to kill any weeds, I'm just going to save my money, since it's not warm enough for Celsius to be effective to allow it to translocate through the plant effectively. I might get the green of the plants that's growing now, but once that dies, there's still more that will grow.

My biggest issue, if I were to rank them, was the drainage of any rainfall/irrigation through the soil, and lots of standing water when I got more than 0.5" of rainfall. Part of my plan to remedy the sodium barrier was to treat with gypsum, and it seems that it's been effective. We had 0.4" of rain 2 days ago, and after it rained, I didn't have the muddy mess I had been dealing with in the past. It didn't matter when it rained... I would always have standing water. Well, no standing water so far, so that's a plus! Seems like it's working.

Something did arrive today that I've been anxiously waiting for. I spoke about doing this last year, and I'm going to do something similar to what @Mightyquinn is doing with regard to his total fertilization program, with some tweaks of my own. I've spoken with the COO of GCF in detail about my situation last year, and got some recommendations on what to do to remedy my problems, and set my lot up for success. I am not one who likes to waste, and after doing calculations, to go with a granular application only of fert vs. liquid, the cost was significantly less. The responsible thing we need to be doing as lawn sculptors, is to try to be as efficient as possible with the products that we apply, whether it be herbicides, fertilizers, water, etc. So, if you want to say that I bought into the "snake oil", sure that's fine. I've spent more money on other things in the past that weren't a good value for my time or expense.

What's not pictured is the 2.5 gallons of 18-0-1 Greene Punch that's in the top box.
My application plan will be:
  • RGS at 6oz/M biweekly until the temp reaches 85°F, then reduce to 3 oz/M
  • Humic 12 at 1 gal/Acre biweekly
  • Air-8 at 6 oz/M biweekly (until we reach the rainy season, then reduce to 3 oz/K) I think this is going to be the biggest helper in conditioning the soil/humus layer that I've got and helping the groundwater percolate
  • 18-0-1 Greene Punch at 16 oz/M Bi-monthly
  • Milorganite bimonthly on the months I don't spray liquid fert. I've got 10 bags stacked up in the second picture, along with the bag of Lesco fert on top(that's going to be the first fert app in 2 weeks)
I did gain some insight as to why LCN and Pete are the portal for homeowners to buy their products. GCF only has so many sales reps, and they were getting lots of calls from homeowners and commercial accounts. As a means to service all the customers that were interested in their products, by having people who already have established followings of both types of accounts(LCN for homeowners and Pete for commercial), having them set up storefronts on their own sites (both Pete and Allyn had them set up prior to offering the GCF products)helps service the customers with a good selection of products, but also allows them to focus growth on larger accounts, and that's good for everyone who is interested in trying their products. I had an account already set up with GCF, so I was able to buy direct, but anyone else who wants to get the products to try on their own will need to go through LCN or Pete.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to spraying this tomorrow!
Last edited by Colonel K0rn on Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CK's 2017 Reno thread
CK's Lawn Journal

wardconnor
Grass Type: KBG PRG
Lawn Size: 20k
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Post by wardconnor » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:41 pm

Awesome. Humic Acid is not snake oil. I can not wait to see your results and your opinion on them after you apply or at the end of the season.

At some point in time I will be trying their products out.

Mightyquinn
Lawn Size: 8,000 ft²
Mower: Baroness LM56(x2)

Post by Mightyquinn » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:47 pm

I too will be following your progress CK. Even though I do have some of the GCF stuff I am just leery of it as it seems too good to be true. I'm in a holding pattern right now with the stuff as I want to see more results plus I have all the stuff I just bought that I would like to use up first. It does seem very promising though.

FlyMike
Grass Type: Fescue
Lawn Size: 4200 sqft
Mower: Husqvarna

Post by FlyMike » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:14 pm

I have some GCF products I bought last year that I'll be using this year. Although I'm a cool season guy, I'm interested in your results. Is your plan fairly standard for Bermuda or is it on the aggressive side?

Colonel K0rn

Post by Colonel K0rn » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:27 pm

FlyMike wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:14 pm
I have some GCF products I bought last year that I'll be using this year. Although I'm a cool season guy, I'm interested in your results. Is your plan fairly standard for Bermuda or is it on the aggressive side?
I'd say my application of all 3 of the humic-based products are on the higher application rate side, but I know several people who put 1# of N on their bermuda monthly. Pretty sure that's standard practice with the lower HOC. I'm going to try to maintain 0.75" this year, to let it fill in more but I was surprised how fast it filled in after it got it's first mowing.
CK's 2017 Reno thread
CK's Lawn Journal

GrassDaddy
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity

Post by GrassDaddy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:53 pm

Pete sent me some of those products so I'll be trying them out too! It sounds like it should work so I'm curious how they work vs the home remedies we've been using.

Colonel K0rn

Post by Colonel K0rn » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:36 pm

GrassDaddy wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:53 pm
Pete sent me some of those products so I'll be trying them out too! It sounds like it should work so I'm curious how they work vs the home remedies we've been using.
Great stuff! Did you get some of the natural adjuvant? I'm particularly interested in that product. I thought he said he was going to do a video on it, and how it was the key in the products that he was applying, but I don't remember if he put it up or not.

Today, I sprayed the GCF RGS and Air-8 at 6 oz/M and Humic 12 at 1 gal/A rates. I started out using my pull-behind sprayer, which seemed like it didn't want to prime, so I fought with that thing for a while before it finally started working. Got me aggravated. :evil: I guess i was going a little slower than I should have on the left side of the front yard, because when I started on the right side, I got my domination strip done, and was out of product. Whoops! I opted to roll out the Chapin 24V push sprayer, and finished up the rest of the front and the back yard at the appropriate rates. If anything, I'll be able to tell what an increased application rate on the left side will look like compared to the rest of the lot. Most people test things behind the house, guess I'm going to do it in the front for this app.

I noticed that I had seed heads on some of the bermuda by the pool, so I've got to mow tomorrow. I'm debating on putting down some PGR, since it's almost fully greened up. I also want to wait another week or two for the weather to get warmer to fertilize everything, but the back yard is much greener than the front. I've got about 75% green in the back, and about 55% in the front.
CK's 2017 Reno thread
CK's Lawn Journal

SCGrassMan
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia
Lawn Size: 3000
Mower: Toro GM1600

Post by SCGrassMan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:51 pm

I got angry just looking at that damage, on your behalf. If it was me, I would have knocked down the fence, gotten a chainsaw and gone 6 feet back from my property line, piled it all up on their lot, and put a new fence up. And then sent them the bill.
2019 Lawn Journal:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7338