Lawn Care Forum banner

Raymond's Lawn Journal

31K views 88 replies 18 participants last post by  raymond 
#1 ·
Hey! Kicking off my 2019 lawn journal with a spring clean up.

I live in Atlanta and have a Zeon Zoysia yard, around 9k square feet total, in the front and side of the house. I also have around 1k Bermuda grass in the back yard (this hasn't been made a priority and I hope to replace with Zeon in the future).

In years past I've maintained at 2.5-3 inches. I don't currently have a in ground sprinkler system, which has been it difficult in years past during any summer droughts, but I am installing a sprinkler system myself this spring.

Today i started scalping with my Rotary. Took it down to around .75 inches. With how thick the Zoysia is taking it down is a process...! The color is a lot cleaner for the grass that has been long established vs sod that I layed last year which looks discolored.

More to come as I finish the scalping. And more to come as I look to big a new mower this spring.

See less See more
#85 ·
Sold the GM1000 on Facebook marketplace. I'm very relieved to to have gotten rose of it. I pretty much only broken even on the mower, since I sold it in perfect working condition.

If / when I buy a new reel I'll likely purchase a California trimmer, but with changes in personal life I will likely take the season off from cutting with a reel.

Last is coming along fine otherwise - I spread some fert recently and it looks terrible! Maybe I applied too heavy? You can see the uneven distribution.

#88 ·
raymond said:
Last is coming along fine otherwise - I spread some fert recently and it looks terrible! Maybe I applied too heavy? You can see the uneven distribution.

Sorry I haven't read through your whole journal yet. Are you using a Scott's spreader by chance?

If so, give this post of mine a read.

Fertilization Stripes?

This article also applies to all Scott's spreaders that I'm aware of

Scott's Spreader Stripes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.