Really fantastic result.

piotrkol
Grass Type: PRG, KBG
Lawn Size: 2600ft
Mower: Webb, Hayter 56

Re: piotrkol's lawn

Post by piotrkol » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:40 pm

Thanks for the kind words everyone :)

Weather still surprisingly good so the grass is still growing. Felt a bit creative today so I went for the double, single pattern. cheers @wardconnor ;)

Having a little trouble with annual ryegrass (slightly lighter patch in the middle), I was told by a greenkeeper that it happens with the mix that I bought. If I don't let it produce seeds it should die in spring though so not panicking at the moment.

JDgreen18
Grass Type: Front Northern mix back KBG
Lawn Size: 30000 SF
Mower: JD1025tlb, 130L Torosuper recy

Post by JDgreen18 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:44 pm

Looking good
Hogans par 5 mix & northern mix in the front...Hogans kbg mix in the back

g-man
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:50 pm

@piotrkol a pre emergent will also help with the annual rye.

wardconnor
Grass Type: KBG PRG
Lawn Size: 20k
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Post by wardconnor » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:10 pm

piotrkol wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:40 pm
Thanks for the kind words everyone :)

Weather still surprisingly good so the grass is still growing. Felt a bit creative today so I went for the double, single pattern. cheers @wardconnor ;)

Having a little trouble with annual ryegrass (slightly lighter patch in the middle), I was told by a greenkeeper that it happens with the mix that I bought. If I don't let it produce seeds it should die in spring though so not panicking at the moment.
Single doubles. So awesome. Looks great

Rule11
Grass Type: VIP 3 PRG, True Putt
Lawn Size: 2400
Mower: Cal Trimmer 25” 2017, 20” 90’s

Post by Rule11 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:25 pm

piotrkol wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:42 pm
*August - October 2018
A full renovation was on my mind for years now. After having a rough spring with huge amounts of Poa and some crazy Millet spots I finally did it. The area is about 2600 square feet. My main focus (apart from getting rid of weeds) was to level the terrain out, that alone took me 3 weeks of running around with a wheelbarrow and a shovel all day long. It was a tough job - I had to take out almost 8 inches of soil from one end of the lawn and add that to the other side. Also there was a nasty bump in the middle and tons of rocks and pebbles all around. I also decided to install a basic irrigation system - nothing fancy, just one line and 3 sprinklers running through the middle.

The grass seed of my choice for the new lawn was Kentucky Bluegrass and Perrenial Ryegrass. The renovation started late July (glyphosate), and lasted all the way through August (lots of soil work), and ended with seeding on September 10th.

Time for some pictures then :)

Image1

Image2

Image3

Image4

Image5

Image6

Image7

Image8

Image9

Image10

Image11

Image12

Thanks!
This is some awesome Work! Well done
CALIFORNIA SENSIMLLA :bandit:

piotrkol

Post by piotrkol » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:48 pm

Thanks @Rule11 and @wardconner!

@g-man - I'll definitely look into using some pre-emergent. A bit tough finding it here where I live but I have loads of time to search now ;)

Anyway - this happened last week:

But it got better after a few days so I was able to put down some more stripes (Hayter rotary + going over everything with a broom :geek: :mrgreen: Can't believe how good it looks seeing that it's almost December. The level surface makes it even better. I knew it was gonna make a difference but it's crazy.

Rule11
Grass Type: VIP 3 PRG, True Putt
Lawn Size: 2400
Mower: Cal Trimmer 25” 2017, 20” 90’s

Post by Rule11 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:03 pm

piotrkol wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:48 pm
Thanks @Rule11 and @wardconner!

@g-man - I'll definitely look into using some pre-emergent. A bit tough finding it here where I live but I have loads of time to search now ;)

Anyway - this happened last week:

But it got better after a few days so I was able to put down some more stripes (Hayter rotary + going over everything with a broom :geek: :mrgreen: Can't believe how good it looks seeing that it's almost December. The level surface makes it even better. I knew it was gonna make a difference but it's crazy.

This looks so good! I hope when I decide to do a full Reno I can take the time to get the grade perfect!!
CALIFORNIA SENSIMLLA :bandit:

AZChemist
Grass Type: Ryegrass/Yukon
Lawn Size: 8,200
Mower: GM100/JD2653

Post by AZChemist » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:43 pm

Awesome stripes! Applaud you for getting them so straight!

piotrkol

Post by piotrkol » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:21 am

Thanks! To be honest I spend way more time than I should on getting the stripes straight. Some kind of OCD maybe :mrgreen:

But yeah, my new top tip for reno is to get the lawn as level and straight as possible, huge difference :shock:

I'm repeating myself but I just can't wait for spring with this project. If I get my hands on a proper reel mower and with the help of everyone here the next season will be epic :nod:
Last edited by piotrkol on Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

jabopy
Grass Type: Fescue
Lawn Size: 3500 sq ft.
Mower: 214tc Husky, Honda 536.

Post by jabopy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:16 am

Don't think you need a different mower piotrkol!! That lawn is fantastic. Did you level out the bumps with sand in the end ?

piotrkol

Post by piotrkol » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:11 pm

Thanks!
The reel that I use gets the job done, but it's hand-pushed and only 12" wide so it takes ages to go through the entire lawn. And I suspect a self propelled one will have the reel spinning faster thus producing an even better cut(?)

There is also the Hayter rotary which I'm using now as the season is about to end. It's pretty heavy, and has a roller on the back so the stripe effect is great, but I definitely want to go reel all the way next season :)

I didn't do anything to the bumps actually, they are still out there but you can only really see them from up close. I will be putting down sand in spring though ;)

Butter
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 5K
Mower: Vintage Snapper 21" HIVAC

Post by Butter » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:32 pm

Awesome!

jdc_lawnguy
Grass Type: KGB, TTTF, Rye
Lawn Size: ~18K
Mower: Deere D130

Post by jdc_lawnguy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:24 pm

That is absolutely awesome. Looks like you put in a log of really hard work. It clearly shows and definitely paid off

piotrkol

Post by piotrkol » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:41 pm

Thanks @jdc_lawnguy & @Butter

Meanwhile the weather is going crazy. Last 3 days absolutely freezing with temps dropping to 5F (-15C). Starting tomorrow though I will be getting a massive change, the forecast say it might reach 60F around Tuesday.

That's how it looked today out in the lawn. Looks like the stripes froze along with the grass :lol:

piotrkol

Post by piotrkol » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:39 am

And back to some warmer temps. 50f today. Double mowed yesterday (just to pick up a few leaves and stripe) and today went over the stripes with a brush and a light roller to complete the checkerboard pattern.

December 4th stripes, crazy :)

NoslracNevok
Grass Type: KBG/Rye with a little fescue
Lawn Size: 15,000 sqft
Mower: 20" EGO Brushless, Steel Deck

Post by NoslracNevok » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:01 pm

Amazing. What's your process to make it so level?
Time flys like an arrow, fruit flys like a banana.

piotrkol

Post by piotrkol » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:48 am

^Well it was a very DIY, no tools and no experience type of process :P I'll try to explain and show some pics along the way.

First I carefully layed out string with the future level of the lawn using a water level thingy. The lawn is ~25m (82ft) long and I decided to have one end higher than the other by 12cm (4.7in) so that water can have a place to go and not stay on the lawn. It's about a 0,5% gradient which should be enough.

Turned out there was a lot of material to transport from one end to the other. The north side was about 23cm (9in) higher than my established level and the south side was lower by almost the same amount (9in).

So I divided the area into about 12 sections, trying to keep each section around 2m (6,5ft) wide. Using more string and a spirit level I digged in some boards so that I knew how much soil I should add or take away. The goal was to have the soil level with each carefully placed board.

When there was enough soil in a section the roller came in to settle (compact) the soil down. Using a 2m long board or the metal spirit level I leveled each section to perfection. By sliding the metal along the boards I took away any soil that was sticking out above my desired level. It was also easy to notice any low spots and fill those in as well :)
Every section took a lot of rolling and adding soil, I'll just say that :mrgreen:

After each section was done I'd remove the boards and dig them into the next section. So after a while it looked like that:

At all times I was carefully controlling the level of the whole thing. As I mentioned I left a small gradient for the water:

So I repeated the process with sections throughout the whole lawn which took at least 20 days

When this happened I was thrilled:

The only problem I had (and have) is with the spots where the sections meet. I didn't do a good enough job on compacting the soil and after a few weeks a few of the connections dipped. I'm pretty sure that a little bit of sand or soil will take care of that though so I'm not worried.

Other than that everything worked perfectly. It was ridiculous amount of work because all the soil work was done with a shovel and a wheelbarrow but all my weird tricks with sections, string and water levels worked and the lawn is nearly perfectly level. Like I said there is a 4.7in drop looking from north to south but from east to west it's level completely. No bumps, no low spots, just a leve surface I always wanted :)

Well I hope all that makes sense :lol:

As a bonus here is a cross section of the before and after I made :geek: Slightly exaggerated of course

Last edited by piotrkol on Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

NoslracNevok
Grass Type: KBG/Rye with a little fescue
Lawn Size: 15,000 sqft
Mower: 20" EGO Brushless, Steel Deck

Post by NoslracNevok » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:17 am

You've created my favorite lawn I've seen so far, I love it! Adding the permanent goal is an unexpected amazing and unique addition, it ties it all together. What you've done there is truly stunning. The grid system using boards is clever, I'll be using that next fall in my reno, gave me enough motivation to commit, I'm already excited. Well done, a payoff well worth 20 days.

edit: How many hours (minus unrelated interruptions) would you estimate it all took? Inspiring you did it all yourself, by hand.

edit 2: What was the process for screening/sifting your soil? Was the bike tire with wire mesh looking thing used for that?
Last edited by NoslracNevok on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Time flys like an arrow, fruit flys like a banana.

piotrkol

Post by piotrkol » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:02 am

Thanks so much for such nice words, it means a lot :) I'm very happy you like what I did.

I don't know the exact number but from some estimates I'll say I put in about 120-140 hours. That includes everything else besides the soil work though, like putting in the irrigation system, filtering some of the soil (there were some little pebbles I didn't want), paving the edges around the lawn (almost 300ft), seeding etc. All that lasted all the way through August and the first few days of September.

Yep, I filtered with the bike wheel with a screen over it :mrgreen:

Keeping my fingers crossed for your reno then! Looking forward to seeing the outcome :)

The goal is actually removable. I fitted a metal sleeve for both posts and put those in the ground, so I can actually take the goal out and that will just leave small holes in the ground which can be covered up :) I don't really do that though because it's too much hassle.