Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: OEM 21" (by MTD); Fiskars 18"

Re: Green's Lawn Journal

Post by Green » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:49 pm

Jan. 5th: got roughly 0.75 inch of rain

Jan. 8-9th at night: thunderstorm. 0.25-0.3 inch of rain

Jan. 9th: picked up leaves in the yard by hand. And papers, too.
Last edited by Green on Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Green

Post by Green » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:31 pm

The weather cooperated today and I had time, so I blew/picked up leaves and sticks on the main lawn and fluffed up areas that were welded down and frozen to the ground. Very cold weather, and snow/ice/rain are coming the end of the week and next week, so I think this was my last time until March doing anything on the lawn.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Green

Post by Green » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:13 pm

Due to minor work being done inside and a bit of the front lawn being used for assembly and cutting (not ideal in the cold, but I also don't think it'll kill the lawn since the ground is now frozen) I've been cleaning up each night with the blower. Today (1/18/19) I also fluffed up the grass behind the deck to prepare for the storm. Some was matted and welded together from the rain last week and freezing temps after. I've also been using the blower on the areas where the workers have walked. I'm losing some of the leaf material over time from the traffic in the cold. Someone also accidentally drove over the side front edge (and 3rd sprinkler head) yesterday.

I walked most of the yard today as well. Probably the last time for several weeks.
Last edited by Green on Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Green

Post by Green » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:20 pm

We had an ice storm two days ago. The day after, was wind and cold...a high of 8F and 0F in the morning. There are tree branches everywhere now, all over the lawn and driveway for example. They broke off.

A neighbor's vehicle deposited some Zoysia stolons and dirt in the driveway today. I swept them up and threw them away!

Chris LI
Grass Type: KBG,TTTF, FF-different mixes
Lawn Size: 5K
Mower: Snapper Hi Vac 21"

Post by Chris LI » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:12 pm

Green wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:20 pm
A neighbor's vehicle deposited some Zoysia stolons and dirt in the driveway today. I swept them up and threw them away!
Good call...can't let any of the nasty stuff spread! Is there any chance of you convincing them to nuke it and plant some "nice" grass?

Green

Post by Green » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:06 pm

Chris LI wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:12 pm
Green wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:20 pm
Good call...can't let any of the nasty stuff spread! Is there any chance of you convincing them to nuke it and plant some "nice" grass?
Thanks! You always have to be on the lookout for stuff like that!

Green

Post by Green » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:17 pm

Today was crazy. At least 2.25 in of rain on top of the snow and ice, which mostly melted, flooding the low input area. It's a pond. I expect an ice rink over the coming days. Not sure what that'll do to the grass.

So, it got into the mid 50s. Near torrential rain is rare in late January; snow is much more common. Some places in the state picked up 4 inches near us.

Since the soil started to thaw, I was able to fix the part of the side front edge that someone ran over last week. I also spread out some of the remaining snow/ice near the edges in the front, but it was pretty solid and hard.
Last edited by Green on Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Green

Post by Green » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:23 pm

Nothing today. Too cold. My neighbor is out using his push blower even though it's 32 degrees and the grass is frozen. Tomorrow is supposed to get up to 45, and is the day for that type of thing.
Last edited by Green on Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Green

Post by Green » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:24 pm

Today was in the mid 40s, so I was able to blow/rake/pickup/sweep the sticks from the front (mostly side front), part of the upper back, sidewalks, and street in front of the house. I got one whole leaf bag full of sticks! The snow (which is like ice) is almost gone from all the lawn areas now. I wonder if this'll be the last time I rake until March...or not? To be continued...
Last edited by Green on Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Green

Post by Green » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:35 pm

Going to go down to 2 or 3 degrees tonight and the high tomorrow will be around 15. We picked up a quick half inch of snow around sunset, which should help reduce low temp kill. The traffic over the same spots in the front repeatedly is killing me, though. Hopefully no long term effects from it.

Got 0.25 inch of rain plus snow the night before.
Last edited by Green on Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Green

Post by Green » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:33 pm

Nice day. Mid 40s (about 10 degrees warmer than average). I blew and then dormant overseeded the high traffic borders in the front just for insurance. Mix of Bullseye, Flame, and Summer TTTF seed was used. Picked up some sticks.
Last edited by Green on Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Green

Post by Green » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:51 pm

Today hit 62.5 degrees, about 25 above average. Swept up sticks in the street.

Green

Post by Green » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:41 pm

Got about 1/3 inch of rain last night. It has also been misting this evening. Wind and some more rain tomorrow morning. The it's going to turn cold again (30s).

Green

Post by Green » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:39 pm

Got almost 1/4 in of rain.

It warmed up to low 50s and sunny again after that. I did a bit of raking of trafficked edges, and finished fixing the area on the side front driveway side that had vehicle damage.
Last edited by Green on Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Green

Post by Green » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:06 pm

Some photos from Christmas Eve. Still holding some color, but going...

Main front edges:

This is the area that would receive a lot of foot traffic a month later. (We'll eventually show a comparison after the traffic):

Side front edge:

Green

Post by Green » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:29 pm

Got some snow and sleet the other day. Everything is white now.

Scagfreedom48z+
Grass Type: Cool season
Lawn Size: 30,000
Mower: Scag 48” Freedom z

Post by Scagfreedom48z+ » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:59 am

You’re still holding on to some color! If that stays, should be an easy and quick spring green up

Green

Post by Green » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:18 am

@Scagfreedom48z+, that was like 7 weeks ago. There's a lot less color now!

Green

Post by Green » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:52 pm

We are back to average temps for this time of year (mid to high 30s for highs and 20s at night). There is light snow cover in most places. Lawn soil is frozen solid. Color continues to decrease.

I chopped and shoveled some snow/ice off the front near the road to help the piles melt faster and prevent all the salt from concentrating in one place.

That said, the Daffodils are just starting to poke up in the mulch bed, which is around 40 degrees. In a few weeks I'll have to fertilize them, and possibly cover them in cold weather if the buds start forming and trying to open.

It'll also be time to prune trees in a couple of weeks.

Green

Post by Green » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:38 pm

Shoveled some more ice off at the front, and did some tweaking to edges by hand where they were eroding.

For some reason, we can't seem to get just regular snow this year. Every time, there has been sleet, or rain after, creating ice patches that take forever to disappear from the yard.