Cool season member lawn journals
NoslracNevok
Grass Type: Converting to KBG monostand
Lawn Size: 15,000 sqft
Mower: McLane 20"

Re: FuzzeWuzze Tiny Mazama Mono Reno

Post by NoslracNevok » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:49 am

Looking nice!

"i meant to do it with the humic but forgot." Funny how things are forgotten like that. I seeded yesterday, forgot to lightly rake in seed before peat moss. Whoops.
Time flys like an arrow, fruit flys like a banana.

Thenenk
Grass Type: Perennial Rye+
Lawn Size: 2000 sq ft
Mower: Honda

Post by Thenenk » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:13 am

Still plenty of good days ahead, and we’re basically out of the watering at this point. It’s been dumping rain today.

FuzzeWuzze
Grass Type: Rye Grass
Lawn Size: 2500sqft
Mower: Lawn Boy 21"

Post by FuzzeWuzze » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:40 pm

Quick day 44 update.

Not much change from a visual perspective that i can tell, its obviously thickening up when you get closer to it but it still has quite some ways to go to be a thick carpet.

On a day to day basis it doesnt look like much is changing but when i compare shots from even a week ago you can see spots that were dirt are now filling in.

Just kind of letting it go wild at this point, and come Spring i'll edge it all out, get some bark down under the bushes and clean up the overall look of the yard. Its a moot point at this time of year to 'crisp' things up when its grey, overcast and soaking wet 24 hours a day.

One thing of note is that there are quite a few weeds coming in, i've been pulling them when i am out mowing but they keep coming. I think its been long enough and i can do another blanket spray of Tenacity. For people with new KBG lawns should i just do a 2oz/Acre rate or 4oz/Acre rate?

Then maybe next week, weather permitting i can get my Prodiamine out? Maybe a bit late but we dont get that cold so weeds pretty much can pop up any time.

Last edited by FuzzeWuzze on Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Babameca
Grass Type: Everest, Award, Perfection/PRG
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: Honda HRX/Jacobsen GK 526

Post by Babameca » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:26 pm

It looks consistent. How often do you mow? I started at day 17 and since I mow every 2-3 days. This defiantly helped the spreading. You have much more time than us in Canada, so I think it will look awesome before any frost.

FuzzeWuzze

Post by FuzzeWuzze » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:39 pm

Ive been trying to mow every few days, but its been pouring rain so i've been trying to not walk on it that much because the ground gets very mushy in spots after 3 days of straight rain. This week should be better.

Thenenk
Grass Type: Perennial Rye+
Lawn Size: 2000 sq ft
Mower: Honda

Post by Thenenk » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:16 am

What have you been feeding the baby grass with?

FuzzeWuzze

Post by FuzzeWuzze » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:52 am

Mostly straight 46-0-0 Urea granular, its a bit hard being such a small area it barely takes any so its hard to spread properly. I figure though since im doing it weekly every spot should get some eventually.

FuzzeWuzze

Post by FuzzeWuzze » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:01 pm

Day 53 another update.

Getting real cold here as of late we've had several days that didnt break 50-55F so the grass has really started to slow down growth. I have a few area's that are still thin, but have a lot of grass stalks at the same time, so my hope is come spring they will start filling in. Edges are still a bit bare as well, mostly under where our hydrangea's had grown up so large and flopping over into the yard, its very evident now that they are cut back. Ill need to do a better job setting a realistic edge on this back area and keeping the hydrangea's in check.

I sprayed Tenacity on both reno area's to hopefully get the broadleaf away, a nd also hit it with Prodiamine to hopefully keep it safe for our warm(ish) winters where weeds can really keep going.

I think i may hit it with one more dose of Fert this weekend then call it good for the year. Overall i'd say the reno was a success thus far, only changes i'd make for next years reno area's is to be a bit more diligent about hitting edges with seed. Also debating doing 4#/K instead of 3# per K, but overall i think it came in well and even the thin spots have lots of grass but just need time to thicken up and wont have the temps to do so this year.

Last edited by FuzzeWuzze on Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FuzzeWuzze

Post by FuzzeWuzze » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:40 pm

Sprayed FAS + Humic/Kelp across the entire yard, cant wait to see how it pops in the new reno area in a few days. Let it sit for 3-4 hours then ran the sprinklers.

I noticed some darker spots this week in the new renovation, and i can only assume they are dots that are getting direct Urea hits, and the rest of it is not. So ill be doing some light foliar apps of Urea or FAS weekly until the rains return.

FuzzeWuzze

Post by FuzzeWuzze » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:24 am

I think the FAS + Humic/Kelp mix i did this last weekend is starting to hit now and the lawn is looking good.
I did notice some white tips as it seems the Tenacity from the weekend prior is finally starting to do its thing.
A lot of yards around here thin out a lot during winter, and a few years ago my PRG stand all but was decimated, presumably from disease and the ground being so wet for so long. My fingers are crossed that this does not happen to this new KBG.

Unsure if i should spray Prop in the next month or so as a preventative measure, i have a big jug of it.

FuzzeWuzze

Post by FuzzeWuzze » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:08 pm

So after coming back from a vacation and there being leaves piled up on the yard i'm starting to see a bit of yellowing that i'd like to understand and get under control if its disease(it probably is). We've been pretty cold in the 50's and low 40's at night but no real hard frost yet.

I am wondering if its lack of rain? Doubt its drought stress its all still wet but we havent had rain in a week or two.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I put down Azoxy granules @ curative rate almost 2 weeks ago? 1 bag is my yard at curative rate, and i didnt feel like storing half a bag all winter and doing preventative rate so just threw it all down. I have yet to spray Prop, but we're going to have a lot of rain coming up starting tonight so i am unsure when i will be able to actually get it down. If the forecast is accurate, likely not until Wed/Thursday of next week.

I can tell that i have some tearing due to my blade that i need to fix, ive done a few cuts with my rotary and not the Fiskars because of all the leaves that need to get mulched up and seems to have done a bit of damage, which may be the entry point for the disease? I'm hoping @g-man or any of you other disease experts can help.

Last edited by FuzzeWuzze on Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

g-man
Grass Type: Front: Northern Mix Back: Bewi
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:01 pm

Do you have a large view of the area? Is it all with this yellow look?

FuzzeWuzze

Post by FuzzeWuzze » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:10 pm

Let me take a shot this evening and we'll see, i cant remember.

I feel like it all does otherwise i likely wouldn't have noticed it at all in the first place.
I did just hit it with FAS last weekend and it looked great, but could it be iron or just the cold/damp weather causing it?

g-man

Post by g-man » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:17 pm

Azoxy lasts around 14days in curative. I would not do propi by itself on leaf spot look like fungus.

Last N was 2 weeks ago? Do you have a soil test?

FuzzeWuzze

Post by FuzzeWuzze » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:27 pm

I do not have a soil test i just saw this today but may try to get one. Yes last real N was 2 weeks ago, i suppose FAS does not count in the amounts it put out?

g-man

Post by g-man » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:39 pm

It can count if you use 0.25lb N/ksqft

Babameca
Grass Type: Everest, Award, Perfection/PRG
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: Honda HRX/Jacobsen GK 526

Post by Babameca » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:04 pm

Run your rotary to 'vacuum' at higher HOC and run the Fiskars to cut. I have to do this now that leaf mass off trees is massive. I pass at 2'' the Honda and bag, and follow at 1'' with my Jacobsen. It also helps pull up the blades for cleaner cut. Pull some 'yellow plants' and look for root damage. Reno looks good!
Last edited by Babameca on Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FuzzeWuzze

Post by FuzzeWuzze » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:48 pm

g-man wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:39 pm
It does appear to be pretty much across the entire thing, probably more noticable actually on the more bare spots? Really hoping this doesnt fry my reno :( My ground does feel pretty hard, not gonna lie with the lack of rain the last few weeks. We're going to get several inches over the next 5-7 days.

I put down 1.7oz AS and 2k FS per 1k as per the original thread. Not sure if that equals .25N, ive never done the calc.

Last edited by FuzzeWuzze on Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FuzzeWuzze

Post by FuzzeWuzze » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:51 pm

g-man wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:39 pm
@g-man Any idea's or do you think its too inconclusive and needs a soil test?

g-man

Post by g-man » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:10 pm

Sorry, Im on vacation. I read posts, but dont have time to reply right away and then I forget.

I would give is 0.25lb of N/ksqft and water it in. The 1.7oz doesn count for much.

I'm not seeing LS, but keep an eye on it.