TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KY-31, NoMix & clover
Lawn Size: 14,000
Mower: Rotary

Re: Green's Lawn Journal

Post by Powhatan »

Green wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:59 pm
Tell me about this homeowner account...is it a charge account, or something else? My manager did not suggest there was such a thing when I mentioned accounts...he just mentioned charge accounts (which I assume mostly pros use due to volume purchases).
On the SiteOne request account page the choices are "Contractor" or "Homeowner/Retail Customer". I requested the homeowner, my request had to be reviewed for approval (the request didn't ask for my financials), and about two days later I received an approval email with login instructions. After I login, I see the product prices, and filter select for what's available at my local SiteOne location.

I'm not 100% sure on the remaining purchase procedure since I haven't bought yet. My online account info shows nothing about having store credit so presuming I purchase using my CC: Select what date morning/afternoon pickup timeframe I want, then go pick up item(s) on the requested date at the SiteOne location, pay with my CC.

Several help videos here: https://www.siteone.com/en/help
Last edited by Powhatan on Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic Author
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, FF-diff mixes
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Post by Green »

Got 0.52 inch of rain over the past couple of days.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

Got 0.82 inch of rain last night and today (liquid equivalent from rain and snow/slush).

Tomorrow and the following day are supposed to be quite cold, with highs likely below 30F, windy, and night-time temps likely going into the single digits at least one of those days (that hasn't happened much or at all this season yet).

@Powhatan, thanks for the info. I'll look into it.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

Just a quick update. Things look good overall. Dormant but good. Soil temps are cold...back is frozen solid, and other areas are mostly 33F. I definitely will not be mowing for the first time within the next week! Most likely the first cleanup raking and mow will be after March 1st rather than before. The grass blades are desiccating out anyway, so no need to mow anytime soon. Cold is good. It helps get rid of some of the upper soil moisture.
Last edited by Green on Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

So, despite the cold soil temps, I've started seeing more insects this past week, as it's been in the mid to high 40s and even into the 50s during the day, which 5-10 degrees above normal. Still pretty weird considering it was really cold a couple of days ago. But the same happened around this time last year.

Today, I decided to dormant seed the near (shaded) end of my low input area. Growing grass there is tough. There was a lot of moss, and the ground was partly frozen. Yet, when I raked (and I didn't rake too intensely) most of the grass just came out along with the moss, so it's bare dirt essentially now...

After raking, I threw out seed by hand. Mostly the Jetty Hard Fescue, which I'm excited to try as it might actually grow under the trees. I added in a little Chantilly CRF in some areas. Hoping the seeds stay put until germination time (at least 4 weeks, probably more like 6-8).

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

Two days ago: got 0.07 inch of rain.

Powhatan
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KY-31, NoMix & clover
Lawn Size: 14,000
Mower: Rotary

Post by Powhatan »

Screamin Green price went up $2 a bag to $29, so went ahead and purchased 3 bags for the season from SiteOne. A sales clerk wanted to know if I needed preM to kill the poa trivialias that's sprouting from rhizomes, I said no thanks. If it was only that simple. ;)
Last edited by Powhatan on Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

Powhatan wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:59 am
Screamin Green price went up $2 a bag to $29, so went ahead and purchased 3 bags for the season from SiteOne. A sales clerk wanted to know if I needed preM to kill the poa trivialias that's sprouting from rhizomes, I said no thanks. If it was only that simple. ;)
Still considerably less expensive than here, I'm pretty sure.

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

Today:

Tried to pull out some Triv, but it didn't go too well...the ground is still very cold and it makes what's usually easy a struggle.

Raked about 1/3 of the upper back, from deck edge to back garage wall (about 0.3K). I noticed last Fall it was thinning out, so after raking I dormant seeded 1 lb of Bullseye TTTF seed (3-3.6 lbs of seed per thousand).

Finished pruning a small tree in that area that had been severely damaged 2 Winters ago. Very tiring and awkward angle.

Measured my small folding pruning saw. The actual blade length with the cutting edge part is 8 inches, but the entire blade is longer. I'm not sure the correct way to measure. I need a replacement.

Also took delivery of the 50 lb bag of Pendimethalin I had ordered last week.

social port
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20K
Mower: Gravely ZT 42

Post by social port »

Hey @Green! I noticed that you have some Pendimethalin. Are you using that this year instead of one of the usual suspects?

Chris LI
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG,TTTF, FF-different mixes
Lawn Size: 5K
Mower: Snapper Hi Vac 21"

Post by Chris LI »

It's a shame Bullseye isn't available anymore. I guess you're really using it sparingly. Glad to hear you still have some left.

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

Chris LI wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:59 pm
It's a shame Bullseye isn't available anymore. I guess you're really using it sparingly. Glad to hear you still have some left.
Since the back lawn is only 5 cultivars, I only use one or more of those 5 when overseeding. And I prefer to use the TTTF, of which there are two, due to the shade. The Firecracker LS is already discontinued as straight seed for a while now. They replaced it with SLS, which I assume is a derivative, but I never found any confirming info on that from the AOSCA. I've been using it anyway as a substitute. Bullseye is very hard to get now. For anyone reading this who needs some, there is a chance the guys in TN still have a little when you read this, but they won't for long. I wanted to get more Bullseye into the lawn where it's thinning.

As far as the KBG, Bewitched is available easily. Rugby II wasn't grown last year. There is none currently available. I have a few ounces left, but it failed my germ test last Spring, so it may have been no good even last year. I used it anyway when I was reseeding. The America is available, but it may not have great weed filtering despite being 0/0. I have a bit and use it anyway.

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

social port wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:24 pm
Hey @Green! I noticed that you have some Pendimethalin. Are you using that this year instead of one of the usual suspects?
How's it goin'?

I decided to use Pendi in some places this year instead of Dimension due to broadleaf weeds (not going to spray Gallery everywhere again, just the edges).

I also think it was time to switch up the mode of action at least in a few areas. I almost always use Dimension, so who knows what does over time.

By the way, interesting article on why pre-Ms fail: https://oregonstate.edu/dept/nursery-we ... asons.html

social port
Lawn Size: 20K
Mower: Gravely ZT 42

Post by social port »

Green wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:28 pm
social port wrote:
How's it goin'?

I decided to use Pendi in some places this year instead of Dimension due to broadleaf weeds (not going to spray Gallery everywhere again, just the edges).

I also think it was time to switch up the mode of action at least in a few areas. I almost always use Dimension, so who knows what does over time.

By the way, interesting article on why pre-Ms fail: https://oregonstate.edu/dept/nursery-we ... asons.html
Doing great, Green. Getting ready to kick off another lawn season.

I also have a lot of broadleaf weeds coming through. I could have/should have used gallery last fall, but I never got around to it. I’m just going to dust off my bottle of triclopyr to take care of things.

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

Almost 60 for the high today.

Fertilized all daffodils I could find in the front that have been coming up (but not the ones on the right hand side as they get lots of lawn fert already). Used a mix of Baystate, 0-0-50, and 4-4-4.

Took soil temp in the front toward the end of the day after the sun had a chance to warm things up, so it's probably a high. It was right at 40. So, if anything, the soil is a bit cooler than a few weeks ago, but overall about the same. Things are probably the most dormant they're going to get now, this week. No growth occurring.

uts
Grass Type: Contractor blend cool season
Lawn Size: 24000
Mower: Toro timecutter 14-38z

Post by uts »

Green wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:28 pm
social port wrote:
How's it goin'?

As always great resources. I have the same dilemma, so il throw a question, hopefully I'm not high jacking. I have a section which has very decent broad leaf pressure. Last fall I sprayed them down and it left a few bare spots. I am sure anlot more will come up today.

I have 2 options I guess

1. Put something like gallery down in that area along with the prodiamine. Was also thinking can I put down snapshot? That would help with just 1 product for the beds and this area as well?

2. Dormant seed, hope stuff starts growing and put down prodiamine later.

What do you think?

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

@uts: if needed, dormant seed plus Tenacity tank mixed with Gallery right before germination. Second round of Tenacity after mowing if needed. Follow up with longer lasting pre-M a month later if there's crabgrass or Stiltgrass pressure, etc. If not, you could skip it.

This is the approach I use. It maintains a constant barrier as needed, but allows seeding.

Snapshot of course would only be usable on non-seeding areas, because you really need to have Gallery down by the beginning of May at the latest, and the trifluralin is of course a no-go when seeding. Domyown has a generic Snapshot that costs less. I think turf is technically off label use even though the active ingredients separately are not (companies are picky with their product registrations, so you know it's really the same thing).

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

Total rain last night: almost 1.5 inches. Everything is totally saturated now. Grass/soil is starting to get uneven in spots as a result. There's also pooling again in the low input area.

I'd like to do a cleanup mow in the front no later than mid March if the temps cooperate, but if the wet conditions continue, it's going to be impossible to do it by then.

Utk03analyst
Lawn Size: 8000
Mower: Push

Post by Utk03analyst »

I’ve walked into site one to buy cyto-gro the guy at the counter looked up an account and just placed my order on another account and I paid for it at the counter. I later went online and set up an account ordered a fungicide forget which one and my order was ready at the counter and I paid for it when I arrived. The only thing I will say is my first purchase was at a 15% discount to what it would have been if I order it on my account and if you can wait you can usually find better prices online.

uts
Grass Type: Contractor blend cool season
Lawn Size: 24000
Mower: Toro timecutter 14-38z

Post by uts »

Green wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:55 am
@uts: if needed, dormant seed plus Tenacity tank mixed with Gallery right before germination. Second round of Tenacity after mowing if needed. Follow up with longer lasting pre-M a month later if there's crabgrass or Stiltgrass pressure, etc. If not, you could skip it.

This is the approach I use. It maintains a constant barrier as needed, but allows seeding.

Snapshot of course would only be usable on non-seeding areas, because you really need to have Gallery down by the beginning of May at the latest, and the trifluralin is of course a no-go when seeding. Domyown has a generic Snapshot that costs less. I think turf is technically off label use even though the active ingredients separately are not (companies are picky with their product registrations, so you know it's really the same thing).
Thank you for the reference to the generic link. A few dollars saved I guess. I'm going to order it soon so I can clean my beds and start putting it down. The weeks are flying by.

For the turf I think I might just go with some tenacity and put a generous seed down in a good area. I have some KBG from Hogan from a friend and il see how that germinates and go from there. Good sun and irrigation should help.