g-man 2020 Lawn Journal

Cool season member lawn journals
g-man
Grass Type: Front: NoMix Back: Bewitched
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

g-man 2020 Lawn Journal

Post by g-man »

An Indianapolis suburbs lawn reel mowed at 22mm (~15/16in). Front yard is sod from the builder of the house, the backyard is bewitched KBG.

Cross References:
The early years: 2016-2018
220E Rebuild
Soil test 2019
Soil Test 2016-2018
2019 Lawn Journal + Renovation

Goals for 2020:
- Reduce my inputs (aka move more into maintenance)
- Plan to use XGRN thru the year. I liked the color response from it.
- Redo the front the of house landscape
- Finish one irrigation zone (HVAC side)
- Maybe renovate the front right section.

Winter
It was a mild winter. The front northern mix did really good. The backyard renovation area looks ok, but it need nitrogen.

09Mar2020

I could not resist anymore and mowed the lawn. We had a few days above 50F and it was nice to play outside with the kids. I had to rush to buy some gasoline before a rain storm. I dont know my HOC. It was the same as last year.

The front yard had clippings in the 0.5in. Not a lot of them, but it is growing. The renovation area of the backyard had zero clippings. The non renovated sections did and color looks good. From experience and just looking at the clippings I know the renovation needs nitrogen. Temps are supposed to drop again this weekend, but after that I will do the soil sampling, drop MAP and some AMS.

The phone "corrected" the lighting in the backyard and it makes the image look ugly.

macdawg
Grass Type: tttf
Lawn Size: 10k
Mower: toro

Re: g-man 2020 Lawn Journal

Post by macdawg »

pics? spraying prodiamine in a couple of weeks?
how can i tell you i love you when i can hardly breathe down here

g-man

Post by g-man »

@macdawg I was typing in the PC but the pictures are on the cell. I added them plus some from the cameras.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, FF-diff mixes
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Post by Green »

Which is the front right?
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

macdawg
Grass Type: tttf
Lawn Size: 10k
Mower: toro

Post by macdawg »

looks to be in great shape for March g-man. nice and thick, good color, good edges. It was 72 in the KC area today, once things warm up your lawn is going to take off.
how can i tell you i love you when i can hardly breathe down here

Socks
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: ~ 5k
Mower: Honda HRX217

Post by Socks »

@g-man Interested in how you can tell it needs nitrogen coming out of winter? This is my first spring with the yard “in” and I’m really struggling with holding off on more N after the falls N blitz, but I trust everyone here.

I’m in almost the exact same climate as you (just north of Kings Island here north of Cincinnati) So getting antsy to get PreM down here in the coming days...

g-man

Post by g-man »

@Socks I did a renovation in the backyard last year. That area is very young without the root structure of a mature lawn. For a mature lawn, wait for it to really wake up. Wait at least two mows to judge how it is looking/growing. I bet that you won't need nitrogen once temps go up. Some of the roots in a mature lawn die during winter. That dead stuff is still in the soil 4-8in deep and full of nutrients. It will decompose and release those nutrients to the rest of the lawn, therefore feeding it. It is part of the normal root cycling and spring flush growth. In my opinion, root cycling is a way more effective than aerate (3-4in cores?) plus adding Npk plus adding organic matter.

So what to look for: color/growth/clippings. The lawn is not fully awake yet, so I can't expect much yet. But when I did the mow I noticed that the not renovated areas are growing, I had clippings and they are greener. Experience also tells me the reno will need constant feeding in spring because it doesn't have deep roots or quantity of roots.

Last night I spreaded AMS (0.20lbN/M) in the reno only. I took this image so you can see the before. Look at the border with the side neighbors, it is greener. Look at the 8 ft at the back (2018 reno), it also looks good. If you also look at the front north facing lawn (5yr sod), it is all looking good.

And now look 30min after at the white stuff we are getting here. At least the AMS is getting watered in. :( I will likely do PreM in next two weeks.

Socks
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: ~ 5k
Mower: Honda HRX217

Post by Socks »

Yeah that is starting to fall here now too... thanks for the advice. I’m in a little bit of a strange situation considering the timing of our seed (late fall 2018) and the fact that we had blight last year... But going to hold off nonetheless. Worst case I’ll pamper it through the spring and summer best I can and Reno in the fall :lol:

g-man

Post by g-man »

Star day 20200318 - I'm not wired to work from home

We had mostly cold cloudy days. Yesterday was nice with 50s and some sun in the afternoon. A line of storm was approaching, so I gave the lawn a quick mow. The front lawn is growing. It had plenty of clippings and worm mud piles. The backyard reno area is still not growing. We are supposed to get even colder in the weekend with lows in the 20s. PreM window should start this weekend.

I've seen some poa a that I need to take care off (hand pull) and some weeds. Hopefully we will get some sun and warmer temps soon.

pennstater2005
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 15,000 sq ft
Mower: Husqvarna YTH18K46

Post by pennstater2005 »

Front yard is looking tight!
"Perfection, like infinity, is unobtainable, even at places like Augusta. It's the journey toward the goal that holds all the fun, joy, and reward." - dfw_pilot

Lawn Fertilizer Calculator

Credit

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1.4 Acres
Mower: Toro Reelmaster 3100D

Post by HoosierLawnGnome »

Things are waking up quickly around here, eh?!

Looking forward to watching you enjoy that lawn this year with all the busy, remote work we have in front of us :)
I like green turf, and I cannot lie!
You other lawn nuts can't deny!
That when a lawn shows up
With an itty height of cut
and a reel mower in your face
You get SPRUNG! Want to pull up tough!
Cuz you KNOW that lawn is boss!
Baby got TURF!!!

g-man

Post by g-man »

@HoosierLawnGnome I just wish the weather was warmer. Daily mowings would be a thing. :-)

@pennstater2005 it is cool to see how green it is already.

g-man

Post by g-man »

I know some of us are more visual. I went to get the mail and grabbed a couple of pictures of the clippings after the rain.

These clippings look to be around 1in in length. My hoc is below 1in (I don't remember). My last mow was 09Mar and we had snow and not much sun. No nitrogen since October.

g-man

Post by g-man »

0.2lb of N /M in the reno. It is starting to green up. Weather is cold and I'm getting concerned with fungus.

TheWhiteWizard
Grass Type: Kbg, Poa supina
Lawn Size: 150sqm/1600sqft
Mower: Rotary

Post by TheWhiteWizard »

g-man wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:29 pm

0.2lb of N /M in the reno. It is starting to green up. Weather is cold and I'm getting concerned with fungus.
To help us understand please, why are you concerned about fungus?

g-man

Post by g-man »

I'm paranoid. It's been cold, wet, warm, wet, foggy, wet, cold, snow, 60F, cold. The lawn is young so it is more susceptible to fungus. When I walked it, it look like rust fungus, but it wasn't. Once the weather warms up, I will do azoxy + propi as a preventive application (aka peace of mind).

g-man

Post by g-man »

HOC is 22mm.

Yesterday I did a mow right before another rain event (see the rain drops in the sidewalk). The lawn was very moist and soft. I tried to do single doubles in the front and the turns did some damage.

Earthworms are making me mad. It looks like I aerated the lawn.

The backyard is waking up. The reno still has some yellow areas with some purple blades. It looks to be at the tip, so I'm assuming it is just desiccation.

I closer view of one of the worst spots

I zoomed in more

Finally a sunny and warm day. Amazing what a day of good weather improves the lawn. The yellow from the backyard is fading away, so it is not a fungus. I can mow the front again from all the growth. I moved patio furniture out and enjoyed the yard with the kids. The prem i have is 18lb of 0.25 dithiopyr for this weekend. I also need to deal with the poa a.

Babameca
Grass Type: Everest, Award, Perfection/PRG
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: Honda HRX/Jacobsen GK 526

Post by Babameca »

Front looks awesome! Back will look even better, very, very soon :).

beardizzle1
Grass Type: KBG 90-95% & 5-10% Old Fescue
Lawn Size: 6250
Mower: 21” Push & 54” JD F725

Post by beardizzle1 »

g-man wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:07 pm

Finally a sunny and warm day. Amazing what a day of good weather improves the lawn. The yellow from the backyard is fading away, so it is not a fungus. I can mow the front again from all the growth. I moved patio furniture out and enjoyed the yard with the kids. The prem i have is 18lb of 0.25 dithiopyr for this weekend. I also need to deal with the poa a.
Still thinking about putting your prem down this weekend? I've yet to put mine down (Prodiamine). Planned to do this Wednesday and didn't get to it. Then yesterday, but didn't get to it due to all of the rain we are/were supposed to get.

Biggylawns
Grass Type: KBG/Rye
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: 1600

Post by Biggylawns »

@g-man what do you use to dig out/treat poa A that you get?