Cool season member lawn journals
Topic Author
uts
Grass Type: Contractor blend cool season
Lawn Size: 24000
Mower: Toro timecutter 14-38z

Re: uts journal 2020

Post by uts »

@abstract I really wish, I had the patience and time to do it by hand. I need to upgrade my mower and then hopefully will have much more time on hand. I will try pulling these by hand soon though.

Topic Author
uts

Post by uts »

Pretty sure it rained about 0.5" with in the span of an hour. Dont know what would have happened with the K that I put down earlier. The grass is loving these showers though.

Topic Author
uts

Post by uts »

Mowed yesterday. Put down a 50lb bag of carbon X, older version for 0.5lb/M of N. Got some rain yesterday. Sprinklers ran this morning.

Also replaced 8 heads myself and my irrigation guy came in and replaced 4. Some of these were old toro which he said were about 20 year old at least. Definitely getting better coverage now with the i20s. I'm hoping I can resolve my dry spot issues with these calibration and changes.

Topic Author
uts

Post by uts »

7/10 - sprayed feature 2oz/M in the front and side, 1oz/M omin the back.

Rained almost 8 hours after. Got 0.9" of rain which is a very welcome addition. Grass is kicking into a good growth spurt.

Will be doing an irrigation audit this week.

Topic Author
uts

Post by uts »

7/14-15 mowed all around. Good growth with the water and carbon X. Some real surge growth because of carbon x. I think my next app will be a mixed fast and slow release to avoid the high carbon X surge.

Sprayed 24D for plantains only in the backyard.

Hacked down this burning bush as an experiment. This was almost 12' high prior to pruning.

Now sits at 4-5'. Will try and maintain at a 6' height

Grass color is improving. Here is the line between my neighbor and me.

Kallgren
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3/4 acre
Mower: Jacobsen 522, Craftsman 42”

Post by Kallgren »

The burning bush (we call it fire bush) is wicked invasive. You could probably trim it back even further. I trim my one in the fall after the leaves have dropped. It spreads like crazy!
Here is Bills Backyard Pitch and Putt journal viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15487

Topic Author
uts

Post by uts »

I.can def see that. I already see new shoots and leaves sprouting out from the roots. I will def trim this back more in the next few days. I wanted to keep this as civil as possible initially .. lol .

Have 2 more to go after this.

Been have 90+ days with heat index well in the 100. The grass is def looking stressed. I needed to mow but didnt. Will wait till wednesday for stuff to cool.

Been syringing 5 mins each zone.

Topic Author
uts

Post by uts »

So, while I have been improving my cultural practices and irrigation setup, one thing that I did not pay attention from the start is actually identifying my actual grass type. I will get to this in a bit.

Last year when I started out spraying for creeping Charlie and wild violet (triclopyr) in the fall I ended up damaging some of my turf.

It was rather perplexing because even though I was inexperienced, i had a large carrier volume and lower limits of products.

I sprayed again in the spring and similar results, a little less maybe..

I sprayed a few weeks back on a relatively cool summer day.. high 70s (utilizing an ester formulation) I had very similar results again...major turf damage...

Obvious thing did not click.. I do not think it's the formulation.

I have a MAJOR bentgrass invasion, even in places where i didnt think so... it's in the lowerish level.

There are some areas in the back that are pure bent which i really like for the carpet that it is but didnt expect this much....

This is a fairly sad situation.

The only real solution is a complete kill and reseed which I did not plan this year.

I wanted to improve my soil profile by improving nutrient deficiencies and pH and was preparing for a renovation next year...

Il post some pictures... the weeds are really coming back now... uggghhhh

Unsure where to go from here. Some.major poa outbreak this season.

Last edited by uts on Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic Author
uts

Post by uts »

The sad contrast is that right up the slope where the bent grass is, there is ALOT of fine fescue which is like a brown haze right now even with decent watering. His area had a ALOT of canopy which I have slowly but surely cleared out .. Soooooooo again difficult situations

Again only solution I see is gly the crap out of it and reseed. Also needs ALOT of leveling because of the roots.

Topic Author
uts

Post by uts »

On a brighter note some perrineals flowering.

The hydrangea didnt bloom at all.last year. I know one problem is that it is over watered.
Last edited by uts on Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris LI
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG,TTTF, FF-different mixes
Lawn Size: 5K
Mower: Snapper Hi Vac 21"

Post by Chris LI »

Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day. Renos take a bit of planning and you would need to be all set now to pull the trigger on the gly. I would continue to work on your cultural practices and techniques and plan for a reno next fall (July-August).

If you want to do an overseed and take back some Poa A prone areas, you might just have enough time. It will not be perfect, but you might want to consider:
1. Stop watering to let the Poa A fry
2. 8/15 or so scalp and PGR to slow turf
3. Check timing on PGR label for overseeding and drop seed PRG with Tenacity at seed down ASAP after PGR. Ryegrass will pop quickly and establish
4. You probably will not have enough after that for regular PreM, so continue with Tenacity.

Other option is to regular PreM and ride it out with Tenacity apps to take out bentgrass. This is a more realistic approach. You can try to break the barrier to spot seed bad areas. Then you can try a dormant seed of kbg in Jan/Feb, while you plan and purchase supplies for next year's reno.

Topic Author
uts

Post by uts »

@Chris LI I appreciate you reading all my rant and actually formulating an entire plan for me. I do appreciate it.

I think I am getting better and better for a reno everyday. I do think that some small areas that I have can even be renovated in the spring because I have full irrigation, if i plan well.

That said major renovations I will keep for next fall. A lot of yard needs to be smoothed out and needs a lot of topsoil.

I think my main aim is to get rid of the ground ivy and wild violet this fall along with all the bent that I can. This has been established for years and needs to be dead dead dead before i reno anything. I have realized it's not very difficult killing the bentgrass (I hope it does not prove me wrong) but the ivy has come back after 2 fall sprays of triclopyr - less but it is there significantly -i know killing it takes time but it's been 2 seasons already and I think I need to go head on with it.

I'm going to start spraying tenacity in a few days. Do at least 2 blanket apps. Kill as much of everything I can that is not needed. By mid August I am thinking of dropping TTTF from Hogan seeds. This will be fairly cost effective I think for now .. hopefully this will germinate faster as well.. I cant settle on PRG for some reason, even though I love how Ryan Knorr's lawn looks.

Let me know what you think.

Chris LI
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG,TTTF, FF-different mixes
Lawn Size: 5K
Mower: Snapper Hi Vac 21"

Post by Chris LI »

Your plan works, too. There's no absolute right/wrong way to do it as long as you don't violate the cardinal rules. As you know, timing with certain things is crucial. On that subject, I would check the label on Tenacity for the seeding interval after spraying. I think you need to get it down ASAP, to do one application ahead of your seed down date. It might be 21 days, unless I confused it with the 21 day interval for application after germination.

I also thought of another nasty weed to scout out that I don't think was mentioned, Poa Trivialis. From my understanding, it's best to kill it with glyphosate in the spring when it's actively growing. If you need help with ID, there is a great video by tgreen on YouTube. I remember seeing info/links on TLF.

Topic Author
uts

Post by uts »

8/2 got 0.25" of rain.

Turned irrigation off for the week as it will rain on tuesday as well. ALOT more.

8/3: sprayed sedge hammer on relevant areas.
Sprayed quinclorac on the crabgrass areas along with some clover and wild violet area. Just want to see how it performs on those.

Ordered a bottle of generic meso.

Unsure how much I will spray but likely the front yard first and reseed on the second round of spray. Need to order seed. Will do that once i read the label.

Debated putting down lime at the bag rate of 12.5lb/M but did not due to the storm coming in tomorrow. Will do it after that.

Also need to out down some nitrogen..will have to decide how to manage both.