Topic Author
jskierko
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: F: Bewitched KBG Back: NoMix
Lawn Size: 18,000
Mower: Toro Timemaster/Swardman Edwin

Re: jskierko 2021

Post by jskierko »

Blanket sprayed Trimec Classic at 1.25 oz/k over the entire yard after a weekend of rain helped aid the weed growth. Flushed the sprayer out as the sun set.

jrubb42
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG/Cool Season Mix
Lawn Size: 10,000
Mower: GM1000

Post by jrubb42 »

jskierko wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:50 am
Bewitched front holding steady at 7/8". Still seeing a bit of yellow, but I think the color has improved a bit since the previous mow.

Sending soil samples off to 2 labs today (Waypoint and A&L Great Lakes). Crazy to see the differences in soil consistency between different parts of my yard.

Mowed back with the Edwin at 1.75". Stripes like a dream. And yes, that is pure Triv between those 2 trees :|
Man! Those back yard stripes!!🔥🔥.. even with the triv! Teach me how to mow straight lines lol.

Topic Author
jskierko
TLF Supporter

Post by jskierko »

Bought a 7" hex plugger to aid in the mechanical removal of some spots of triv in the backyard. Figured this would be the more organic route to go as I have 2 dogs and a 5 year old that I don't want to expose to glyphosate. I have some massive areas and hope to undertake some bigger areas once I get some time off of work.

Topic Author
jskierko
TLF Supporter

Post by jskierko »

Also gonna try to incorporate a little bit of @jrubb42's low cut turf strategy. This is just a test area. Had my bewitched mowed to about 1.5" after the reno last fall and have bounced around between 0.75" to 1" this spring (now that I have a reel). Color hasn't seemed to really be there so I ran the scarifier over the area and scalped it down to just over 0.5". Gonna see how well it bounces back and see if there is an improvement in color.

Topic Author
jskierko
TLF Supporter

Post by jskierko »

Soil Test results are in. Sent to 2 labs this year (Top: Waypoint, Bottom: A&L Great Lakes) just to see if there were any glaring variances between reports. I only took 1 sample over the entire yard due to the fact that my previous tests were fairly consistent in results when testing the front and back separately. Some things that stood out to me:
  • pH- decreased to 7.5 from 8.1 last year, no ideas on the drop in pH, but definitely not mad about it. I will probably apply sulfur once this spring to boost sulfur number and hopefully get some additional pH lowering.
  • K- was 64ppm last year, now up to 148-159. Did nothing specifically targeted for K other than apply 10-10-10 several times throughout the growing season last year. I do have SOP on hand, so I plan on putting down at least 2-3lbs/k over 2 different apps to boost potassium and raise K:Mg ratio.
  • Organic Matter- was 3.15 (front)-3.5 (back) last year, up to 3.5-3.8 this year. Prior to getting serious about my lawn I did a lot of bagging, including bagging leaves. Last year I top dressed with compost and mulched all clippings/leaves in fall.

jrubb42
TLF Supporter

Post by jrubb42 »

jskierko wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:57 am
Also gonna try to incorporate a little bit of @jrubb42's low cut turf strategy. This is just a test area. Had my bewitched mowed to about 1.5" after the reno last fall and have bounced around between 0.75" to 1" this spring (now that I have a reel). Color hasn't seemed to really be there so I ran the scarifier over the area and scalped it down to just over 0.5". Gonna see how well it bounces back and see if there is an improvement in color.

Definitely make sure you give it enough room to grow and recover. I would start cutting at an inch or higher from the scalp. Let me know how that area goes, I'm curious how well this is working for others.

Topic Author
jskierko
TLF Supporter

Post by jskierko »

Mowed this morning before I had to go to work, pics from tonight. Not a fan of the wet clippings sticking all over, but this mow never would have been possible if using a rotary. Gotta mow when time lets me... my neighbors love me I'm sure :D (at least the swardman is fairly quiet)

Topic Author
jskierko
TLF Supporter

Post by jskierko »

This sums up Indiana weather quite well:
April 20

...7 days later
April 27

g-man
Grass Type: Front: NoMix Back: Bewitched
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man »

Hmm, we had a lot more snow on the other side of town. A few of my trees have the branches on the floor.

Topic Author
jskierko
TLF Supporter

Post by jskierko »

g-man wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:54 am
Hmm, we had a lot more snow on the other side of town. A few of my trees have the branches on the floor.
Pic was taken Tuesday afternoon. Definitely accumulated more into the evening, can't see grass anymore. (I just lacked the motivation to take an updated pic this morning).

Topic Author
jskierko
TLF Supporter

Post by jskierko »

Opened up the irrigation system today. Company I use was scheduled to come out on 4/20, but appointment was delayed until 5/25. Decided to do it myself so I don't have to rely on mother nature to water in any apps that need it. Took all of 10 minutes. Haven't tested every zone and adjusted any heads that need it, but man I can't believe I was paying someone to do that.

Also applied SOP at 1.25lbs/K.

jrubb42
TLF Supporter

Post by jrubb42 »

jskierko wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:51 pm
Opened up the irrigation system today. Company I use was scheduled to come out on 4/20, but appointment was delayed until 5/25. Decided to do it myself so I don't have to rely on mother nature to water in any apps that need it. Took all of 10 minutes. Haven't tested every zone and adjusted any heads that need it, but man I can't believe I was paying someone to do that.

Also applied SOP at 1.25lbs/K.
Biggest scam in the landscape/irrigation business.

Topic Author
jskierko
TLF Supporter

Post by jskierko »

Mowed at 15/16". Hoping raising the HOC will help the color out a bit. Probably will take the scarifier out and try to thin out the stand a bit as well. Lots of dead/brown material under the canopy.

Still a small handful of weeds floating around. Will do a spot spray of Crossbow here soon to knock out as much as I can.

Planted 4 more arborvitae in the backyard.

Topic Author
jskierko
TLF Supporter

Post by jskierko »

Ran the scarifier over half of the reno area (~3500 sq ft) in 2 directions. Unearthed a few weeds and poa a in the process, but got quite a bit of dead material out.

Topic Author
jskierko
TLF Supporter

Post by jskierko »

Having a hard time keeping up with all the journals, let alone mowing my own yard. But I was able to sneak a double mow in this morning before work. Things are finally shaping up, lots of KBG going to seed though. HOC 1".

DIY Lawn and Garden Products