Cool season member lawn journals
Topic Author
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, FF-diff mixes
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Re: Green's Lawn Journal

Post by Green »

Grass is now dormant, and looks it. Hopefully I can get a photo soon. It's Winter, and beginning to feel like it. 3 months of cold, here we come.

Cleaned nuts out of car engine area and charged battery for first time.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

Had some snow coating and then light rain last night (white Christmas). Now back to green...

Need to clean out equipment this week.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

Picked up some sticks in front, put down mulch around Hickory for first time, and started putting away supplies in shed.

Contemplating one more final mow in the front this week before cleaning and running out the mowers, if weather cooperates. Not sure that anything will be cut, however. Or if it'll even be dry/warm enough to do it. Never mowed that late.

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

Got 0.2 inch of rain over the last couple of days.

Well, I was right. There was still one more mow left in the front. I've never mowed this late in the year. It was very damp; any more damp and it would have been wet. But I was able to do it. Was it really necessary? No. But I got it trimmed up, sucked up some leaves, and got exercise.

Mowed the front (except side front driveway slope). 2.6 in again; mowed the main front, middle of side front, and front hill parallel to driveway. Close portion of side front in the perpendicular direction mostly. Skipped the driveway slope of the side front, to prevent mower wheel indentations and minimize erosion of the soil.

Got 1/4 to 1/3 of a bag full of clippings just from the front (which had been mowed last on 12/16, 2 weeks ago). Lawn isn't the greenest in the area right now, but is holding up well going into Winter.

Photo of clippings from the front (South-facing area):

Mowed the garage side at max height and other side at the lower height (hadn't mowed lower than 3 in previously there, but even so, not a lot got cut off, as it hasn't gotten a lot of sun the past couple of weeks). Now that we're past the shortest day of the year, I felt ok about reducing the leaf surface area.

Mowed hellstrip areas and edges at max height.

Also hand trimmed across front.

Last mow, last day of the year! Done mowing until late March or even early April, most likely.

Happy New Year!

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

Sprayed home-made vole / rodent repellent on the upper back, garage side, and about 1/4 of the lower back and part of the other side. Used the excess water in the front mulch.

Ingredients: a gallon of warm water, ~5oz of castor oil, a pinch of cayenne pepper, a teaspoon or so of peppermint oil, and an ounce of cheap blue dish soap. It didn't clog the sprayer too badly this time, and didn't foam too badly (last year, I used 1.5oz of Dawn Ultra which was way too much soap). This year's soap had some urea in it, so I guess it was a foliar fertilizer of sorts, too.

I still had garlic water from the mosquito repellent spray this Summer in the sprayer, lol! Dumped that out and any bacteria that was in it before mixing up the new stuff.

Almost no rain so far today, but it was in the low 50s again...about 15 degrees above average.

mowww
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10k
Mower: A few

Post by mowww »

@Green did I just see a photo on your journal? Love it, keep ‘em coming if it isn’t too much trouble. I hope the vole repellent works out for you.

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

mowww wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:00 pm
@Green did I just see a photo on your journal? Love it, keep ‘em coming if it isn’t too much trouble. I hope the vole repellent works out for you.
Thanks. I'll try. Had to show the clippings. The repellent worked last year.
----------
1/3: charged car battery

To-do list:
-spray rtu rodent repellent
-Blow clippings away from curbs
-blow/remove leaves as needed from lawn; beds
-dehumidifer clean
-sprayers clean
-remove Toro mower blade
-clean out garage and relocate supplies
-remove flags and inset markers for Winter
-put up driveway stakes for Winter
-clean out stuff on patio
-bring in hose
Last edited by Green on Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

Got 0.35 inch of rain, mostly last night.

Today: Fixed green hose. Rinsed 2 spreaders and 2 mowers; added oil and ran mowers dry for end of season. Shut water off again just now. 20s for high tomorrow...

I heard a lawn tractor somewhere nearby today. Not just idle, but moving. Someone did a January mow, apparently. It was soggy as heck out.

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

Got more rain. Not sure how much. Guessing 0.1 inch.

Sprayed rtu rodent repellent. Started removing garage supplies. Started putting in stakes near road. In the low to mid 40s today. Cooldown and then real Winter coming, plus snow tomorrow night. Highs in the 30s rest of the week and then teens, 20s, 30s next week for highs.

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

Cleaned up a few leaves and sticks in the front and driveway area. Charged car battery. Got gas for snowblower, 3 gallons. Took in last hose in front. Put up stakes. Still have stuff to do in a couple of weeks if it warms up.

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

Got 7-9 inches of snow last night.

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

Charged car; picked up a few leaves in driveway. Added stabilizer to gas can.

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

Yesterday: Got rain. Probably no more than 0.25 inch.

Today: snow starting to melt in places. Charged car.

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

Had a couple of cold days so far, including a day recently with high around 16 and low in the single digits, with more to come, though today hit 45 with little wind, which was warm for this time.

As more snow melted, I realized that the "free sod cutters" had come in the past week. I ended up carefully ripping out an 18-inch wide, rolled up, frozen chunk of the lawn that had been cut and mostly freed from the root system, by hand today, and relocated it for safe keeping, so it wouldn't get broken up further. It was too frozen to unroll. I also attempted to fix a few adjacent areas, but those will likely get snagged by the plow again at some point, now that they're raised up. I didn't want to stretch too much or tamp too hard on the frozen turf.

At least "free aerator" activity is decreasing a bit.

Charged car (+1r).

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

Going into the single digits again the next two nights. Put N into car tires (31-37@36F). Picked up some leaves and sticks from driveway and sidewalk areas. High today: low 40s.

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

Last night: got 2 inches or so of snow, and then rain. Total liquid: 7/8 inch. All of the new snow melted, but still a coating of old snow in many places.

Today: shoveled a bit of residual snow and swept water away from driveway low spots. Collected a bit more turf cut by the plow, and picked up a few sticks.

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

Today:

Charged car. Got it washed (express). Waxed it with the liquid ceramic stuff, finally. 44F high today. Almost 10 above average.

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

Noticed some more damage...this time squirrels going ridiculously nuts...could not believe the pile of soil and ripped up turf. Normally they just dig a small hole. Last week, I noticed the torn up turf, and nut shells. Today, it was literally a pile of soil, so they returned and dug more in the same spot. The area is about 6x6 inches, maybe bigger. That was weird.

Got snow last night (not much), but it's very cold now so everything is iced over again. Car doors were a bit frozen, but got in. Didn't dare mess with the wipers or windows, which are frozen...the one day I left the wipers down. Back lawn has been covered in snow straight through since the last few snowfalls, all this time so far.

Topic Author
Green

Post by Green »

Got a coating of snow yesterday evening/night, which ,mostly melted since it hit 40F today.

Tried my best to evaluate/fix the dug spot and plow damage (more of it keeps becoming evident as snow melts, but thankfully it's mostly in a 4ekatively small area for now). Picked up leaves and sticks from near the edges. Flattened out the cut sod pieces now that they thawed. Charged and test drive car.