Ohio Lawn Journal

Cool season member lawn journals
User avatar
Ohio Lawn
TLF Supporter
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:32 pm
Location: Ohio
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 12k
Mower: Toro TimeMaster

Ohio Lawn Journal

Post by Ohio Lawn » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:11 pm

Moved into a new house in November. Just got the lawn planted this past Thursday 8/29. Had everything graded, then installed irrigation and rock hounded, then brought in 40 yards of topsoil. Seeded with SS1000 seed from SeedSuperstore. The seed mix contained:
Regenerate, Amity, Raptor III, and 4th Millennium Turf Type Tall Fescue. I'm looking forward to seeing what a 100% TTTF lawn will turn out like.
I plan on hitting it with another round of starter fertilizer and Tenacity on October 1. Attached are a couple pics so far. I plan on keeping up with it.


Image

Image

Image
Last edited by Ohio Lawn on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Check out my cool season lawn journal.viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13137

User avatar
FuzzeWuzze
Posts: 601
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:41 pm
Location: Newberg, OR
Grass Type: Rye Grass
Lawn Size: 2500sqft
Mower: Lawn Boy 21"

Re: New TTTF Lawn

Post by FuzzeWuzze » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:43 pm

If you can keep that wet your likely going to end up with a killer lawn! That mix should give you a dense dark green turf. I was contemplating it myself and may go that route if KBG fails so looking forward to a pure mix of it.

User avatar
Ohio Lawn
TLF Supporter
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:32 pm
Location: Ohio
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 12k
Mower: Toro TimeMaster

Re: New TTTF Lawn

Post by Ohio Lawn » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:06 am

FuzzeWuzze wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:43 pm
If you can keep that wet your likely going to end up with a killer lawn! That mix should give you a dense dark green turf. I was contemplating it myself and may go that route if KBG fails so looking forward to a pure mix of it.
I am hoping so. I have my irrigation set to 3 times per day for 10 minutes each cycle. It seems to be keeping it wet, but not puddling or standing water. I'm hoping to see some germination maybe by the weekend or early next week.
Check out my cool season lawn journal.viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13137

User avatar
Ohio Lawn
TLF Supporter
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:32 pm
Location: Ohio
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 12k
Mower: Toro TimeMaster

Re: New TTTF Lawn

Post by Ohio Lawn » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:15 am

Day 6: Started seeing some grass coming up today. Weather has been perfect, 70 degrees and sunny during the day and cool at night. No bad storms or wash out so far. I'll post pics as it progresses. Getting excited!


Image


Image
Check out my cool season lawn journal.viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13137

jumpzakjump
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:00 pm
Location: Marlboro, NY
Grass Type: TTTF, PRG, KBG
Lawn Size: 27k
Mower: Toro Z-Master 5000 52"

Re: New TTTF Lawn

Post by jumpzakjump » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:31 pm

Nice! Looks good. I just ordered 100lbs of a similar TTTF mix to overseed with this year.

Scagfreedom48z+
Posts: 676
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:12 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Grass Type: Cool season
Lawn Size: 30,000
Mower: Scag 48” Freedom z

Re: New TTTF Lawn

Post by Scagfreedom48z+ » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:40 am

Ohio Lawn wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:15 am
Day 6: Started seeing some grass coming up today. Weather has been perfect, 70 degrees and sunny during the day and cool at night. No bad storms or wash out so far. I'll post pics as it progresses. Getting excited!


Image


Image
That looks great! How many #’s of seed did you get down per square feet?

Did you roll it or provide a top soil cover ?

User avatar
Ohio Lawn
TLF Supporter
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:32 pm
Location: Ohio
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 12k
Mower: Toro TimeMaster

Re: New TTTF Lawn

Post by Ohio Lawn » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:32 am

Scagfreedom48z+ wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:40 am
Ohio Lawn wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:15 am
Day 6: Started seeing some grass coming up today. Weather has been perfect, 70 degrees and sunny during the day and cool at night. No bad storms or wash out so far. I'll post pics as it progresses. Getting excited!


Image


Image
That looks great! How many #’s of seed did you get down per square feet?

Did you roll it or provide a top soil cover ?
I did 9-10 pounds per thousand square feet. I considered using a roller, but didn't end up doing it. I rock hounded to remove rocks & loosen up the top inch or two of soil. Then spread 40 yards of topsoil. Then seeded, put down starter fertilizer, and covered with straw using a straw blower.
Check out my cool season lawn journal.viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13137

User avatar
Ohio Lawn
TLF Supporter
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:32 pm
Location: Ohio
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 12k
Mower: Toro TimeMaster

Re: New TTTF Lawn

Post by Ohio Lawn » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:35 am

Day 8: More green showing up every day. Weather has been 70 and sunny every day since I planted. I reduced my water about 30% in the front yard because I started to see puddling. Now it is staying nice and damp. So far so good.

Image


Image
Check out my cool season lawn journal.viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13137

AGMcL13
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:31 am
Location: Cincinnati, Oh
Grass Type: TTTF, KBG and PRG
Lawn Size: 2500 sq ft
Mower: Honda HRS

Re: New TTTF Lawn

Post by AGMcL13 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:00 pm

@Ohio Lawn Looking good! Weather has been great this week in Ohio. I'm in Cincinnati and put my seed down on 9/1. Not seedlings yet.. Hoping to see them pop through in the next few days.

Bug pumper
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:09 am
Location: Langley BC Canada
Grass Type: Back KBG-PRG / Front TTTF
Lawn Size: 4,000sq/ft
Mower: 21” craftsman 6.75 Briggs

Re: New TTTF Lawn

Post by Bug pumper » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:09 pm

Beautiful yard, can’t wait to see this one all wrapped up.

rwhite4573
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:17 pm
Location: Southern California 91701
Grass Type: Tttf
Lawn Size: 3000 sq ft
Mower: Lawn service

Re: New TTTF Lawn

Post by rwhite4573 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:06 pm

Looks great.

Watching this :thumbsup:

User avatar
Grass Clippins
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:42 pm
Location: Marietta, GA
Grass Type: Titan Ultra TTTF
Lawn Size: 18000
Mower: Hustler Raptor

Re: New TTTF Lawn

Post by Grass Clippins » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:24 pm

@Ohio Lawn That's going to look great. How much tenacity did you apply at seed down? Hopefully you get can a couple cuts done before the October Tenacity application. If the soil temps are down you might not even need to do the second Tenacity application, just wait till fall and you Prodiamine.

"Avoid spraying on newly germinated turfgrass plants. Wait until the newly germinated turf has been mowed two times or four weeks after emergence (whichever is longer) before making a post-emergence application."
Brian O.

He that hath turf to mow, let him mow.

My Lawn Journal
Blue Mule Hose End Sprayer

User avatar
TreyDoc
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:32 pm
Location: Erie County, PA
Grass Type: Back - KBG BABIES, Front - Mix
Lawn Size: 9,600
Mower: TB 130XP

Re: New TTTF Lawn

Post by TreyDoc » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:01 pm

Ohio Lawn wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:35 am
Image
That little tree makes me laugh :twisted: Yards looking great. Looking forward to seeing a sexy 100% TTTF lawn.

User avatar
Ohio Lawn
TLF Supporter
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:32 pm
Location: Ohio
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 12k
Mower: Toro TimeMaster

Re: New TTTF Lawn

Post by Ohio Lawn » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:04 am

Day 9: Just a quick picture of the front lawn, since I didn't add it to the Day 8 update.

Image
Check out my cool season lawn journal.viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13137

User avatar
Ohio Lawn
TLF Supporter
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:32 pm
Location: Ohio
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 12k
Mower: Toro TimeMaster

Re: New TTTF Lawn

Post by Ohio Lawn » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:09 am

Grass Clippins wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:24 pm
@Ohio Lawn That's going to look great. How much tenacity did you apply at seed down? Hopefully you get can a couple cuts done before the October Tenacity application. If the soil temps are down you might not even need to do the second Tenacity application, just wait till fall and you Prodiamine.

"Avoid spraying on newly germinated turfgrass plants. Wait until the newly germinated turf has been mowed two times or four weeks after emergence (whichever is longer) before making a post-emergence application."
Thanks. Unfortunately I did not apply tenacity at seed down. Just regular starter fertilizer. I kept up on the weeds prior to putting down topsoil and seed, and with the cooler temps I am not ultra concerned with weeds. I may be wrong about that, we will have to wait and see.

I plan on doing Tenacity and another round of starter fertilizer October 1 or 4th, which would be 4 weeks after I first saw emergence. I am open to suggestions though.
Check out my cool season lawn journal.viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13137

crazymas0n
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:08 pm
Location: Oliver, BC
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, CRF
Lawn Size: 4000 sq.ft.
Mower: Honda HRR, Fiskar manual reel

Re: New TTTF Lawn

Post by crazymas0n » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:03 am

Beautiful house and yard. Looking forward to updates!

User avatar
Ohio Lawn
TLF Supporter
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:32 pm
Location: Ohio
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 12k
Mower: Toro TimeMaster

Re: New TTTF Lawn

Post by Ohio Lawn » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:37 am

Day 11: More green showing up. I'm starting to notice some areas that look behind as far as germination goes. Not sure if I should add more seed to those areas now or give it some more time. I'd love to hear guys thoughts on it.
The weather has still been great with 70s and sun almost every day.
Here are some updated pics from this morning. So far I am impressed by this grass seed variety.

Image


Image
Check out my cool season lawn journal.viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13137

User avatar
Grass Clippins
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:42 pm
Location: Marietta, GA
Grass Type: Titan Ultra TTTF
Lawn Size: 18000
Mower: Hustler Raptor

Re: New TTTF Lawn

Post by Grass Clippins » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:34 pm

Ohio Lawn wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:09 am
Grass Clippins wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:24 pm
@Ohio Lawn That's going to look great. How much tenacity did you apply at seed down? Hopefully you get can a couple cuts done before the October Tenacity application. If the soil temps are down you might not even need to do the second Tenacity application, just wait till fall and you Prodiamine.

"Avoid spraying on newly germinated turfgrass plants. Wait until the newly germinated turf has been mowed two times or four weeks after emergence (whichever is longer) before making a post-emergence application."
Thanks. Unfortunately I did not apply tenacity at seed down. Just regular starter fertilizer. I kept up on the weeds prior to putting down topsoil and seed, and with the cooler temps I am not ultra concerned with weeds. I may be wrong about that, we will have to wait and see.

I plan on doing Tenacity and another round of starter fertilizer October 1 or 4th, which would be 4 weeks after I first saw emergence. I am open to suggestions though.
You'll be fine. The October Tenacity will kill any young weeds that germinated post seeding and prevent the winter weeds. Tenacity is amazing stuff. I used it last year for the first time and had no weeds, at all.
Brian O.

He that hath turf to mow, let him mow.

My Lawn Journal
Blue Mule Hose End Sprayer

User avatar
Ohio Lawn
TLF Supporter
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:32 pm
Location: Ohio
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 12k
Mower: Toro TimeMaster

Re: New TTTF Lawn

Post by Ohio Lawn » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:10 am

Grass Clippins wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:34 pm
Ohio Lawn wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:09 am
Grass Clippins wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:24 pm
@Ohio Lawn That's going to look great. How much tenacity did you apply at seed down? Hopefully you get can a couple cuts done before the October Tenacity application. If the soil temps are down you might not even need to do the second Tenacity application, just wait till fall and you Prodiamine.

"Avoid spraying on newly germinated turfgrass plants. Wait until the newly germinated turf has been mowed two times or four weeks after emergence (whichever is longer) before making a post-emergence application."
Thanks. Unfortunately I did not apply tenacity at seed down. Just regular starter fertilizer. I kept up on the weeds prior to putting down topsoil and seed, and with the cooler temps I am not ultra concerned with weeds. I may be wrong about that, we will have to wait and see.

I plan on doing Tenacity and another round of starter fertilizer October 1 or 4th, which would be 4 weeks after I first saw emergence. I am open to suggestions though.
You'll be fine. The October Tenacity will kill any young weeds that germinated post seeding and prevent the winter weeds. Tenacity is amazing stuff. I used it last year for the first time and had no weeds, at all.
Thanks! Does the "4 weeks after emergency" start when I first see grass starting to come up? Or when all of the grass is up?
Check out my cool season lawn journal.viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13137

User avatar
Ohio Lawn
TLF Supporter
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:32 pm
Location: Ohio
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 12k
Mower: Toro TimeMaster

Re: New TTTF Lawn

Post by Ohio Lawn » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:11 am

Day 12: Started to notice this (see picture) in the yard this morning. I am a novice, so I'm not sure if this is grass in leaf stage 3 or if it is a weed (nutsedge?). Any thoughts?

Also, they are calling for temps in the mid to upper 80's for the next three days. Should I be concerned about fungus and if so, is there anything I can do about it at this point?
Thanks!


Image


Image


Image
Last edited by Ohio Lawn on Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my cool season lawn journal.viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13137

Post Reply