Lawn Care Forum banner

Ohio Lawn Journal

24K views 142 replies 31 participants last post by  Ohio Lawn 
#1 ·
Moved into a new house in November. Just got the lawn planted this past Thursday 8/29. Had everything graded, then installed irrigation and rock hounded, then brought in 40 yards of topsoil. Seeded with SS1000 seed from SeedSuperstore. The seed mix contained:
Regenerate, Amity, Raptor III, and 4th Millennium Turf Type Tall Fescue. I'm looking forward to seeing what a 100% TTTF lawn will turn out like.
I plan on hitting it with another round of starter fertilizer and Tenacity on October 1. Attached are a couple pics so far. I plan on keeping up with it.

See less See more
#3 ·
FuzzeWuzze said:
If you can keep that wet your likely going to end up with a killer lawn! That mix should give you a dense dark green turf. I was contemplating it myself and may go that route if KBG fails so looking forward to a pure mix of it.
I am hoping so. I have my irrigation set to 3 times per day for 10 minutes each cycle. It seems to be keeping it wet, but not puddling or standing water. I'm hoping to see some germination maybe by the weekend or early next week.

#7 ·
Scagfreedom48z+ said:
Ohio Lawn said:
Day 6: Started seeing some grass coming up today. Weather has been perfect, 70 degrees and sunny during the day and cool at night. No bad storms or wash out so far. I'll post pics as it progresses. Getting excited!

That looks great! How many #'s of seed did you get down per square feet?

Did you roll it or provide a top soil cover ?
I did 9-10 pounds per thousand square feet. I considered using a roller, but didn't end up doing it. I rock hounded to remove rocks & loosen up the top inch or two of soil. Then spread 40 yards of topsoil. Then seeded, put down starter fertilizer, and covered with straw using a straw blower.

#12 ·
@Ohio Lawn That's going to look great. How much tenacity did you apply at seed down? Hopefully you get can a couple cuts done before the October Tenacity application. If the soil temps are down you might not even need to do the second Tenacity application, just wait till fall and you Prodiamine.

"Avoid spraying on newly germinated turfgrass plants. Wait until the newly germinated turf has been mowed two times or four weeks after emergence (whichever is longer) before making a post-emergence application."

#15 ·
Grass Clippins said:
@Ohio Lawn That's going to look great. How much tenacity did you apply at seed down? Hopefully you get can a couple cuts done before the October Tenacity application. If the soil temps are down you might not even need to do the second Tenacity application, just wait till fall and you Prodiamine.

"Avoid spraying on newly germinated turfgrass plants. Wait until the newly germinated turf has been mowed two times or four weeks after emergence (whichever is longer) before making a post-emergence application."
Thanks. Unfortunately I did not apply tenacity at seed down. Just regular starter fertilizer. I kept up on the weeds prior to putting down topsoil and seed, and with the cooler temps I am not ultra concerned with weeds. I may be wrong about that, we will have to wait and see.

I plan on doing Tenacity and another round of starter fertilizer October 1 or 4th, which would be 4 weeks after I first saw emergence. I am open to suggestions though.

#17 ·
Day 11: More green showing up. I'm starting to notice some areas that look behind as far as germination goes. Not sure if I should add more seed to those areas now or give it some more time. I'd love to hear guys thoughts on it.
The weather has still been great with 70s and sun almost every day.
Here are some updated pics from this morning. So far I am impressed by this grass seed variety.

#18 ·
Ohio Lawn said:
Grass Clippins said:

Thanks. Unfortunately I did not apply tenacity at seed down. Just regular starter fertilizer. I kept up on the weeds prior to putting down topsoil and seed, and with the cooler temps I am not ultra concerned with weeds. I may be wrong about that, we will have to wait and see.

I plan on doing Tenacity and another round of starter fertilizer October 1 or 4th, which would be 4 weeks after I first saw emergence. I am open to suggestions though.
You'll be fine. The October Tenacity will kill any young weeds that germinated post seeding and prevent the winter weeds. Tenacity is amazing stuff. I used it last year for the first time and had no weeds, at all.

#19 ·
Grass Clippins said:
Ohio Lawn said:
Grass Clippins said:

You'll be fine. The October Tenacity will kill any young weeds that germinated post seeding and prevent the winter weeds. Tenacity is amazing stuff. I used it last year for the first time and had no weeds, at all.
Thanks! Does the "4 weeks after emergency" start when I first see grass starting to come up? Or when all of the grass is up?

#20 ·
Day 12: Started to notice this (see picture) in the yard this morning. I am a novice, so I'm not sure if this is grass in leaf stage 3 or if it is a weed (nutsedge?). Any thoughts?

Also, they are calling for temps in the mid to upper 80's for the next three days. Should I be concerned about fungus and if so, is there anything I can do about it at this point?
Thanks!

#21 ·
Day 13: With the help of @pennstater2005 , I found out that my weed was winter wheat. So hopefully that will take care of itself over time. Here are some pics of this morning. It keeps filling in more and more. Cant wait to cut it in a couple weeks.
I might send out for another soil test here and get some figures as a baseline now that it is seeded.

#24 ·
Ohio Lawn said:
Grass Clippins said:
Ohio Lawn said:

Thanks! Does the "4 weeks after emergency" start when I first see grass starting to come up? Or when all of the grass is up?
That's a good question. You may just want to play it safe and wait until after the second or third mow.

#25 ·
Ohio Lawn said:
Day 12: Started to notice this (see picture) in the yard this morning. I am a novice, so I'm not sure if this is grass in leaf stage 3 or if it is a weed (nutsedge?). Any thoughts?

Also, they are calling for temps in the mid to upper 80's for the next three days. Should I be concerned about fungus and if so, is there anything I can do about it at this point?
Thanks!
In regards to fungicide & seedlings,
here
is some good info from a few days ago. The answer is yes.

#26 ·
Looks great! Almost ready to mow. What's the height of the tallest seedlings? After you mow would be a good time to overseed the thin areas if you still have any.

Yes you should apply fungicide. You're watering a ton so the grass doesn't really dry during the day. Young grass is pretty susceptible and even if you catch it quickly (within a day or two) you'll lose some. Azoxystrobin or Propiconizole would work well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.