Lawn Care Forum banner

Nick's L.I. NY tall fescue overseed into PRG

45K views 240 replies 8 participants last post by  M32075 
#1 ·
Welcome all to my first journal. Trying to overseed tall fescue into PRG lawn. Did a overseed last fall of Hancock PRG seed blend. Came out great looked awesome this spring. Between heat stress and fungus by the end of July it totally collapsed. I would say about half was dead. September 8 weekend I dethatched and seeded. It's about 900 sq feet dropped 8 pounds of seed and peat moss no fertilizer. I have zero weed pressure so hoping for the best. Any help would be appreciated.

#7 ·
Did this a long time ago (2012) and I don't regret it at all. Roughly the same deal...a new PR/KBG lawn under a year old. Overseeded with TTTF and KBG.

Summer is a really nice cultivar. It wasn't out back then, but I've been using it more recently.

I would reel mow it as soon as it's tall enough to cut and ok to walk on. Don't water the day you mow...you'll sink in with the wheels.

#8 ·
Thanks for the encouragement. This is only my second time doing this. I don't have a reel mower but my plan is new blade with a good sharpening and no turns on the grass. My work schedule is good for watering I don't have to leave until 2:15 pm.

#11 ·
One week in I have some germination. It seems like only half of it popped but I'm hopeful still early in the game. Been watering about 3 times a day sometimes more sometimes less. Been a soso week as far as sun but no rain no washouts.

#12 ·
Looks good. I wouldn't throw down any more seed just yet...you still have another week before you know how much coverage there is.

What are the mature/wide blades along the right side? Guessing some KBG or Tall Fescue. They don't look like Ryegrass in the photo.

#13 ·
I'm guessing the wide blades could be some KBG. The previous owner of my home used to overseed with a North East mix. I'm trying to stay calm lol on this overseed. My only overseed I did was with PRG had a lawn in a week. I still see seed laying around so I'm hopeful I see germination by the weekend.

#14 ·
Coming in thin still on the fence about what to do. Should I seed the the thin spots or wait? Cut back watering? No fertilizer since May should I put some down? I feel like my overseed is becoming a failure. So many thin and bald spots and some seeds still hasn't germinated. To spot seed I almost have to do most of the lawn.

#16 ·
Two weeks from seed down seems a bit early to apply N. I think it will just cause the old grass to outcompete the new stuff, and then it will look patchy because some of the new grass will get crowded out. I vote to starve the old grass a bit longer!

Is it even ready to be cut, yet?

#17 ·
Jconnelly6b said:
That lawn needs some fertilizer! Feed that thing don't worry about the thin spots they will fill in.
^+1
Unless I missed it, you haven't put down any fert yet. If no starter or balanced fert (10-10-10, 15-15-15, etc.) was applied, drop it now. If you already applied one of them, start spoonfeeding urea (.25 lbs N [~.5 lbs urea]) now. It will take off. Good luck!

#19 ·
Yes and no...that's the debate. If you can't or don't want to walk on the seeding areas, drop Milo (~60% slow release) at seed down. Otherwise, drop starter or balanced fert after germination.

If your soil is good, synthetics are fine. If your soil is NG, Milo can help with your OM.

#20 ·
Not a failure...this is what overseeds look like less than two weeks in.

I would throw down more seed now if needed, as you should be able to tell where you need it by now.

Mow anytime over the next week if you feel comfortable doing so.

No rush to fertilize with a synthetic...that Tall Fescue is likely in the pout stage, which will last about a week. After mowing, you can fertilize.

Btw, looks like you seeded really dense with the Ryegrass last year. You may need to repeat this dethatch and overseed again next September to get that Ryegrass thinned out even more. Sometimes it takes a couple of years.

#23 ·
Cut the front overseed today after the dew dried. Scratched some bald spots dropped seed on them and some peat moss. Dropped bag rate of Milo and a little dose of vigoro fertilizer it's mostly urea water soluble. Lawn is definitely starving. Hopefully this thickens it up a little.

#24 ·
M32075 said:
Cut the front overseed today after the dew dried. Scratched some bald spots dropped seed on them and some peat moss. Dropped bag rate of Milo and a little dose of vigoro fertilizer it's mostly urea water soluble. Lawn is definitely starving. Hopefully this thickens it up a little.
Good luck. Next challenge is going to be mowing often enough to keep it short and promote thickening without too frequent traffic. Depending how much fertilizer was used, you could add more in 1-2 weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.