Lawn Care Forum banner

Babameca Lawn Journal 2023 p.61

152K views 1K replies 65 participants last post by  Babameca 
#1 ·
I delayed this enough. Being at 30 days after seeding, I will have some difficulty to recover all steps, but will do my best.
The first exception is that I will omit to explain how I got there, but here is what my yard looked like beginning of summer:

I have done a reseeding last fall (2018) hoping this to be my last for some time.

See less See more
#2 ·
Fast forward to August 11 (and an unknown disaster) I ended up starting again. This time from scratch. Scalped with my rotary and dethatched with a Greenworks electric. 5 hours, 3 guys. Soil is well exposed. I decided to keep the poor remaining's in my back yard and reseed. Had no high expectations for this part. It is only 600sqf anyway.

The full reno is 4500 sqf

#3 ·
August 12. The big day. Had to ask for help. Local landscaper came in. 3 of his guys and myself spent 7 hours, putting 6 yards of soil (compost/sand/peat mix), level with a 'good' levelling rake from R&R (it is a whole another story how I shipped this to Canada), seeded a bit 'heavy' but as per the label at 5lbs/M the mix as per the picture.

#5 ·
My DYI sprinkler system, including 15 Melnor above ground turbo heads, male/female repair kits and Melnor multi zone programmable timers (4+2 zones) from Amazon plus hoses from Costco and I cover 99% of the whole yard. It took me weeks to set this up properly, but well planned in advance, so I was ready...or I thought I was...

#9 ·
7 days after seed down. Had to reseed weak areas and the missed spot, recalibrated some sprinklers again. Watering 7-11-3-7, different duration based on sun/shadow areas and type/angle of sprinkler coverage. All math with tuna cans was done prior to this...

#15 ·
Sept 6, 25 days after seeding, had to mow again due to rain coming in and being away for the week for work. Urea at 0.25N/M spread and Humic/Kelp/Chelated Iron soil applied (watered in). Last few section were very lightly seeded, with no expectations to be successful. Have enough seed left and nothing to lose at this point. The bare 'forgotten' spot starts to fill in nicely.

#16 ·
Dropped water to only 2 times a day and wife is hand watering the latest bare spots where last seed went down much later.
Did not increase much the watering time. Want the grass to start looking deeper...
I did miss to mention 1 fert app. The actual schedule was roughly:
2 weeks in starter fert at 0.3N/m
3 week in starter fert at 0.3N/M
4 weeks in urea at 0.25N/M and the humic cocktail
Here are the latest picture taken Sept 7 (next deay after urea). Grass responded in a weird way. I can deifently see different color patches. After examination, the darker color is the 'older' grass while a new species emerged obviously much later. I don't really know which KBG cultivar was the laziest.

#18 ·
And oh....those moles...not sure mole or a vole but it came from my neighbor for sure making tunnel (and remaking it) along the street. I fired 2 Giant destroyers. One smoked 20 feet away in my neighbors yard :lol: That is one tough MF...with very 'long' connections

#21 ·
32 days after seeding. Was away for 5 days and it grew and filled in a lot. Had to pull the Greenworks electric rotary at about 1.75 HOC just to level all. Anpther urea app at 0.25 later today. I will still spread with some rain on the forecast for tonight. Moles are probably voles and are tearing tunnels everywhere. I have even in my back yeard. Have no time and knowledge, so called a local exterminator. Tried the smokers, but on top of burning a patch of my lawn, looks like voles migrated from my neighbor permanently in my yard :(

#26 ·
@g-man Yes mulch may be problem...I am thinking how to manage this part. I will deepen the edges next year to make sure no rock passes over and mower has space to glide over the edge. About the ramp, I already found something on Amazon. I am a horrible 'builder'. I over seeded weak spots 2 times now. Some were over watered I think and now it is too late. The one on the picture has new germination, others not...Will deal with next spring. I will have some die off close to the street due to salt damage, so I have to get used to the fact I will be spot over seeding once in a while...
@Bug pumper I've just paid 200$ to somebody to make them disappear. He will come as many times as needed. I don't pay before I am free of them. That's the deal.