HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG, T1 Bentgrass
Lawn Size: 1.4 Acres
Mower: Toro Reelmaster 3100D, GM 1000

HLG's Coronavirus Survival Log

Post by HoosierLawnGnome »

Pay no attention to the pandemic!

I'll be out on the lawn!

First lawn journal here, first pandemic. :dunno: The world is apparently ending, so I might as well have a nice lawn and get out of the house.

------------------------------------------------------

Over winter, I had the triplex serviced. Replaced my plastic rollers with metal. Should make for a more pronounced stripe. Bed knives sharpened, reel grind, replaced a rusty bearing, oil and filter change, radiator, cleaned engine, regreased all joints, replaced some o-rings, bought an extra bedknife, cleaned air filters. Had the height of cut raised a bit to make the turf look better in mid summer, so I'm reel mowing at about 1 3/4".

Power washing it all!
Buy enough stuff they send you free swag:

Several weeks ago I started moving plugs to fill in bare spots. Had a few areas grubs killed and a few beds that I'm converting back to turf that need to fill in.

Last year's renovation area is filling in and should be good this spring. It still needs to be leveled as it collects water. Some of that yucky green stuff growing in it from the wetness.

Cut some areas that grew over winter a few weeks back too.

Dethatched the entire lawn over the last week. It starts getting matted pretty easily.
This is why areas get matted:
Here's the fugly after dethatching:

May need to core aerate a few high traffic spots, like under the basket ball goal where I have groups of teenagers jumping and landing on it all the time.

Ready for my soil sample results.

Bought a used Yardmachine MTD tractor for hauling, spreading, and spraying - it will be perfect. Changed the oil, aired the tires, treated the belts, fixed a few things.

Roses are taking off so I fertilized them with compost, peat moss, milorganite, and some starter.

Next up? Get my fertilizer for the year, time that half app of pre-emergent, blanket spray some Triclopyr to hit those winter weeds in full growth mode, and probably throw some FAS at it.

Need to keep filling in low spots that collect water and kill the turf. Never ending job it seems.

Pete1313
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG (2017 Reno)
Lawn Size: 38k sq ft
Mower: John Deere 2500B & X590

Re: HLG's Coronavirus Survival Log

Post by Pete1313 »

Subscribed. I look forward to following your updates!
"The bluegrass of Kentucky. You don't notice no difference, that's because you don't have the eye!" - 29th Street

Topic Author
HoosierLawnGnome

Pete1313 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:52 am
Subscribed. I look forward to following your updates!
Likewise! We are very similar in our goals and setup. Main difference I think is turf species and HOC right now. I'm going for a bit higher HOC. The blueberry lost a LOT of luster late July.

------

Cut a few areas of the lawn that are growing. I have spots where animals pee that grow over winter, and where sump lines drain that stay warm enough to grow.

What ISN'T good is mowing with the reels after dethatching when it's wet. Gunked my reels up really badly. Took a while to blow dry them off with the backpack blower.

If you get a triples, get yourself a NICE backpack blower!

Pete1313
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG (2017 Reno)
Lawn Size: 38k sq ft
Mower: John Deere 2500B & X590

Post by Pete1313 »

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:21 pm
Likewise! We are very similar in our goals and setup. Main difference I think is turf species and HOC right now. I'm going for a bit higher HOC. The blueberry lost a LOT of luster late July.
Agreed. The way we go about lawn care is very similar. We are both growing KBG, just different cultivars. I maintained it alittle longer last year and it looked beautiful. Plan to be shorter this year.. we will see how it goes. To get to the HOC you are aiming for I would need to overhaul my roller setup. I Can't wait to see how yours looks and stripes at that higher HOC!
"The bluegrass of Kentucky. You don't notice no difference, that's because you don't have the eye!" - 29th Street

Topic Author
HoosierLawnGnome

Pete1313 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:34 pm
HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:21 pm
Agreed. The way we go about lawn care is very similar. We are both growing KBG, just different cultivars. I maintained it alittle longer last year and it looked beautiful. Plan to be shorter this year.. we will see how it goes. To get to the HOC you are aiming for I would need to overhaul my roller setup. I Can't wait to see how yours looks and stripes at that higher HOC!
My last lawn, similar soil, the blueberry was TOP NOTCH at 2.5 in or so.

With the larger lawn, the big difference is frequency of milorganite applications. I don't have the time or budget to do full or double apps all the time.

My friend is the super at the course a mile away, and our goal is to cause an accident from rubbernecking in front of the house :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris LI
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG,TTTF, FF-different mixes
Lawn Size: 5K
Mower: Snapper Hi Vac 21"

Post by Chris LI »

I definitely will be following your journal. A Swardman isn't in the budget right now, but I plan on starting at a similar HOC (1.5"-it's max HOC) this year with my vintage push reel mower. I'll maintain it at that HOC as long as I can, before switching over to my rotary when I need to raise HOC. You and @Pete1313 are great examples of what is achievable and are inspirational to others. Thanks in advance.

Topic Author
HoosierLawnGnome

@Chris LI thanks that is high praise coming from you!

--------'

First mow 2 days ago. It didnt take much off but looks a lot better and got rid of some of the dethatch debris.

I core aerated high traffic areas and areas that have trouble with drainage that I also plan to level a bit. 2 or 3 passes.

Applied half annual amount of prodiamine, plus some 24D and FAS with a dash of surfactant.

Also made some calls tonget quoted on masonry sand delivered.

Core aerated area on the right
Lawn is starting to really wake up!

Topic Author
HoosierLawnGnome

Spread 2 lbs per M DAP tonight.

I'd say we are all greened up now.

Topic Author
HoosierLawnGnome

I mowed again night before last. Didnt take much off but it will be wet sooooooo

Topic Author
HoosierLawnGnome

Greened up!

Light rains and lower 70s today did the trick. Cant wait to cut this bad boy when it dries out.

SNOWBOB11
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 3500 sq ft
Mower: JD 220E, Toro Recycler

Post by SNOWBOB11 »

A field of blueberry KBG. Love it. Looks great.

Topic Author
HoosierLawnGnome

Oh no. I hope this isnt.... dare I say it even ..... poa trivialis....

I'll be doing a 2 oz per acre tenacity app this afternoon to highlight.

Whatever it is, it's slightly lighter than the other grass and seems to be very patchy. Boat shaped leaves like poa pretensis.

Core aerating where i get kids jumping on the ground all day.

Hard to do when you weigh 60 lbs 🤣

I dont bother posting when I mow. I'm also always doing rose bed work. I think my roses are finally going to do well their 3rd year.

Topic Author
HoosierLawnGnome

Applied 3 oz of Tenacity tonight mixed with some ammonium sulfate and a bit of surfactant. Spot sprayed with some leftover.

Hopefully that will highlight problem spots and treat the wild onion and clover I always have a bit of. A couple spots with very mild poa annua I hand plucked.

Purpose

OnyxsLawn
Grass Type: Mazama ‘20
Lawn Size: 7000sqft
Mower: Jacobsen pgm22

Post by OnyxsLawn »

That greened up a ton in a few weeks! How do you keep the grass from laying over after the front roller with the higher hoc?

ericgautier
Grass Type: F: Blueberry Mono B: TTTF+KBG
Lawn Size: 13k
Mower: eXmark Metro HP 48", Toro SR4

Post by ericgautier »

Nice to see you here. Definitely following! You were part of the reason that I also have a Blueberry mono (not as large as yours though). :thumbsup:
2021 Lawn Journal
Renovations
2016 - Front & sides: Blueberry Monostand
2014 - Backyard: TTTF (Bullseye, Turbo, Hemi, Falcon V & Faith) +KBG (Bewitched, Blueberry & Prosperity)

Topic Author
HoosierLawnGnome

OnyxsLawn wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:12 am
That greened up a ton in a few weeks! How do you keep the grass from laying over after the front roller with the higher hoc?
Sorry, I'm just now seeing these posts! I figured out I have to subscribe to the thread!

Yes, it has greened up tremendously - it's even a shade or two darker today. I intend on mowing tonight so I'll snap a pic.

As long as it keeps cutting I'm not concerned. The cut is solid now, but it misses in really thick spots. As long as it's not too high it's not bad. I am still playing with the reel speeds, but the grass hasn't been growing gangbusters until just now. If you let it grow too long, you need to mow it twice in two directions to get it down - I learned that a few summers back while travelling frequently out of state.
ericgautier wrote:Nice to see you here. Definitely following! You were part of the reason that I also have a Blueberry mono (not as large as yours though). :thumbsup:
The blueberry color right now is top notch. With my added length this year the color is amazing. I'm hoping it works out overall.

Love your yard too, and looking forward to more collaboration!!!

Topic Author
HoosierLawnGnome

@OnyxsLawn I had to adjust the front right unit as it wasnt cutting well, but it did ok taking off an inch in some places

Here is an area I couldnt cut for a week due to mud and was several inches too high here.

You can see the right unit having issues.

I double cut some areas to account for the skipping unit.

I'm at speed 3 on my reels and it seems to be doing well.

I cut the other day after core aerating and I think it dulled my setup. I didn't pick up the cores. Probably should've let those cores break down a few more days.

Turf just starting to lighten up a bit from the Tenacity application a few days ago.

One thing about a monostand is that it doesnt show needing cut as easily as mixed species. I should've cut yesterday but i wanted the tenacity to do its thing more and stretched it.

I am not planning on PGR this year.

I like my color right now. I think this will do much better over the hot months.

Jury is still out on weird spots I pray are not triv.

I already hit the quack i could find once. When this tenacity app highlights non KBG this week I plan to load up a back pack of glyohosate and kill It all. Couple big patches by the road. Then I will edge beds and move plugs in to repair.

Topic Author
HoosierLawnGnome

The Tenacity highlighting kicked in earlier this week. I have lighter clumps, but I'm not sure they are triv now. They didnt light up that much and are longer blades. I think some may he blueberry that didnt cut well. The quack lit up really well.

Here are the spots:

Some of these i sprayed, others no.

Tonight I mowed, applied 50 lbs of urea (about half a lb per K)

Finally I loaded up a 4 gallon backpack of glyohosate and sprayed the quack, gravel by the road, and any spots I felt weren't KBG.

I have a few dozen poa annua plants in the back yard that I hope to pull after it rains tonight and tomorrow.

mowww
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10k
Mower: A few

Post by mowww »

Looking good, what HOC is that at?

Topic Author
HoosierLawnGnome