Lawn Care Forum banner

Kay Lawn Journal - (Neighbors Lawn)Northeast CT

52K views 370 replies 17 participants last post by  kay7711226 
#1 ·
First journal entry.
Moved into new home Fall 2018 and started on the new lawn Sep 2019. Lawn was a mess if you can even call it a Lawn. Here is what I started with.

See less See more
#3 ·
Unfortunately I did not do pics during the reno and seeding but a quick rundown
1. 08/19 >> 2 rounds of Roundup on the complete area except a 500sqft area which had something green
2. 09/19 >>Tiling dead areas and cleaning up the heavy roots
3. 09/19 >> Seed arrived from SS. Front 700sqft SS5000 Sunny Mixture. Back and side lawn(1200sqft each) SS6000 Shady
Mixture
4. 09/19 >> Install DIY above ground sprinkler system. RainBird 1800 SAM PRS and Orit B-Hyve Wifi controllers
5. 09/19 >> 3 yards topsoil arrived and laid down and rolled in.
6. 09/19 >> SEED DOWN!!

#4 ·
Fast foward Spring 2020. Grass did OK'ish with germination previous fall and anticipating the big Green/Thicken up this year. Started the TLF this year and joined the family. You can see some earlier post on some weeds I had no experience with before.
https://thelawnforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=19922

Also a upcoming project in the fall and overseeding.

https://thelawnforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19954

#6 ·
Did some edging and mowing today before the daily thunderstorms. Lawn is loving the rain and Milo. Also applied Kelp and humic acid to help soil improvement as recommended by soil test.

Also doing some repairs to my "screwdriver" test area. See post on that event here https://thelawnforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20193

POA is dying out and grass is filling in nicely.
https://thelawnforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=19922

#9 ·
:cry:
CTTurfDad said:
The lawn looks awesome, especially that front lawn! What a difference.
Do I spy the rock from your screwdriver test as a landscape rock in the nearest bed? It's like forcing it to stare at the damage it did lol.
^+1
:lol:
I didn't quite get the joke until I read the thread on the screwdriver test from @kay7711226 . Wow, that was a lot of work!

@kay7711226 you need to add that to the "Screwdriver Test" thread @bernstem posted in your "How far are you willing to go" thread. It's sure worthy of it!

#10 ·
CTTurfDad said:
Do I spy the rock from your screwdriver test as a landscape rock in the nearest bed? It's like forcing it to stare at the damage it did lol.
@CTTurfDad Thanks for the complements! Excited to see it at full potential and have full lawn in that condition maybe after fall overseeding.
Can we not talk about that rock anymore?!! Hahaha, YES IT IS!! It will now be my "seating area" after doing my Lawn work and enjoying a Cold beverage :lol: ;)

#11 ·
Chris LI said:
:cry:
CTTurfDad said:
^+1
:lol:
I didn't quite get the joke until I read the thread on the screwdriver test from @kay7711226 . Wow, that was a lot of work!

@kay7711226 you need to add that to the "Screwdriver Test" thread @bernstem posted in your "How far are you willing to go" thread. It's sure worthy of it!
@Chris LI LoL.........Done, Posted! :lol:

#12 ·
Mowed down to 1 inch with my Toro(impressed with visual cut quality) had me second guessing doing a full reno in a few weeks.....
Did bit of manual aeration on a dry spot just for test, also threw couple seeds in the holes to see what happens

Removed a young Apple tree the previous owners tried plating(Thunderstorm damaged it) fill in the space with transplanted KBG and fescue from my box, see how quick it fills in couple weeks.

Gave the Lawn a dose of the "Black Juice"

#15 ·
uts said:
Nice. How is your experience with the humic acid and kelp?
@uts Not sure if you saw my soil report posted but my back and side lawn was horrible(PH of 5.0&5.3) the before pictures should give an idea. I noticed early Spring the grass was VERY slow to green up and even with fertilizing it was slow to react. I then started introducing Milo and the black juice, fast forward today grass is much much greener and overall healthier look. I did drop like 50lbs of lime on side and backyard.

#17 ·
uts said:
Yeah I did. I just havent been able to find good convincing evidence of using humic/fulvic bit with kelp it seems to be better. I still want to get it and try it.
It definitely takes time......good watering practice also helps a lot, my DIY above ground sprinkler is holding its own in the summer heat so far.

#22 ·
Vtx531 said:
kay7711226 said:
Man Oh Man what a difference! Cutting at 2.5 vs 3 inch with the Toro
What did you mean by this- You raised the height or lowered it? Or comparing it to the reel mower? Did you do the whole lawn at 1" before and the let it grow out?
@Vtx531 It was my first time using a Reel mower(manual) took the Front lawn down from 3-3.5 to 2.5(tallest the reel will cut) and I was rather impressed by the quality of the cut and the overall look after(even my old lady gave some compliments) :lol: :lol:

I did a post here https://thelawnforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21088 however pictures doesn't do it justice
I'm now cutting the FrontSide Lawn between 1 and 0.5 to do my Reno and will hopefully keep it there this fall