Lawn Size: 12,000
Mower: Rotary

Re: Powhatan's 2021 Lawn Journal

Post by Powhatan »

ccarlos19 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:06 pm
@Powhatan
Thanks for the help.
When you apply the Pre- Em. I was thinking the beginning or mid March.
@ccarlos19 yes 50-55F average soil temperatures mid March in Yorktown according to the web GreenCast soil temp tool. That would be a good time to put down preM.

I’m giving the turf a break this year skipping preM. I hand-pull weeds throughout the year manually keeping weed pressure to a minimum.

ccarlos19
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 8,000
Mower: Cub Cadet

Post by ccarlos19 »

Sir thanks so much for your time and help
Look at my front after seeding last year.

Topic Author
Powhatan
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: NoMix

Post by Powhatan »

ccarlos19 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:00 pm
Sir thanks so much for your time and help
Look at my front after seeding last year.
Very nice :thumbup:

Recommend you start a journal so you can take notes and track your progress.

Topic Author
Powhatan
TLF Supporter

Post by Powhatan »

Received snow this week and ice forming today.

Topic Author
Powhatan
TLF Supporter

Post by Powhatan »

Topic Author
Powhatan
TLF Supporter

Post by Powhatan »

Soil temp 41F @ 2" depth. All the snow and ice from last weekend's storm melted. Today and tomorrow sun/cloudy days, then colder snow/ice/rain again same as last week. Good timing to sow the native wildflowers seed mixes. I combined the seed mixes with sphagnum peat moss filler material and hand-broadcasted over several prepared beds bordering the lawn, then gently back side raked the beds.

Topic Author
Powhatan
TLF Supporter

Post by Powhatan »

Here's one of the wildflower beds bordering the lawn that I seeded.

This is the back yard corner that receives the bulk of the shade that had alot of poa trivialis. Last year I sprayed glyphosate three times trying to kill all the poa triv there. Well the poa triv there is a zombie plant and is coming back. I sowed the bulk of the shade wildflower seed mix in this area. Maybe a mature wildflower stand will out complete the poa triv.

Last edited by Powhatan on Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, FF-diff mixes
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Post by Green »

Great photos illustrating the conditions.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Topic Author
Powhatan
TLF Supporter

Post by Powhatan »

Rain with lite icing on grass blades and tree limbs.

Lots and lots of robins, blackbirds, and cardinals on the lawn again today foraging for food and dropping natural fertilizer.

Topic Author
Powhatan
TLF Supporter

Post by Powhatan »

Soil temp 43F @ 2" depth. Soil is moist due to recent ice/rain. Weeded the azalea plant bed. Noticed several iris plant leaf shoots appearing.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, FF-diff mixes
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Post by Green »

It should start growing a bit in the next week or two with those soil temps.

Good luck on your dormant seeding. Have you found KY-31 planted now can make it through Summer without supplemental irrigation?

I have extensive rehabbing to do on a property due to plow damage. In fact, all of what I seeded last Fall, plus a lot of existing grass, appears to have been plowed up. I likely will have only a relatively short period this Spring to access that property and fix it before I no longer have access. I will most likely need to dormant overseed as part of the repair, and I still have the KY-31 seed. I was impressed with the germination vigor last Fall, even though it was late in the year. I would hope the reseed would persist even once the property is no longer under my care.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Topic Author
Powhatan
TLF Supporter

Post by Powhatan »

Green wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:06 pm
It should start growing a bit in the next week or two with those soil temps.

Good luck on your dormant seeding. Have you found KY-31 planted now can make it through Summer without supplemental irrigation?

I have extensive rehabbing to do on a property due to plow damage. In fact, all of what I seeded last Fall, plus a lot of existing grass, appears to have been plowed up. I likely will have only a relatively short period this Spring to access that property and fix it before I no longer have access. I will most likely need to dormant overseed as part of the repair, and I still have the KY-31 seed. I was impressed with the germination vigor last Fall, even though it was late in the year. I would hope the reseed would persist even once the property is no longer under my care.
My area's soil is about 7F cooler now than last year same time. On average mid-Mar is when soil temps reach 50F. So next couple of weeks should start seeing emergence across the board. With soil temps slowly warming all the emergence speed will be like sprout and pout. There's been lots of birds feeding on the lawn, so I'm thinking I may have to broadcast a little more seed next month.

The KY-31 is a very hardy plant and what I've seen it handles heat and drought better than TTTF without irrigation. Like any cool season grass it struggles during the summer, curls, has brown blades, and I'm sure some % dies, but overall it survives through several days of 90F/100F temperatures, then greens back up when temps cool and rains return. I maintain a tall cut to give the grass a better chance to survive summer. Promoting a healthy microbial diversity soil helps a lot.

I have KY-31 growing in the gravel roadside that I don't irrigate, fertilize, or amend the soil in the area. From one KY-31 plant a few years ago to many now.
Last edited by Powhatan on Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
Powhatan
TLF Supporter

Post by Powhatan »

Hand-pulled some poa trivialis, mouse-ear chickweed, and hairy bittercress weeds.

Rerouted a gutter downspout to exit into a natural area that has native plants growing instead of exiting into the lawn and causing soil erosion. Filled the soil erosion area with top soil and hand-broadcasted some white & strawberry clover seeds. Clover germinates in cooler soil temps which will put down roots sooner to hold the new soil in place.

Topic Author
Powhatan
TLF Supporter

Post by Powhatan »

Past couple of years my dormant fescue grass seed emerged at year to date (YTD) Growing Degree Day (GDD) ~89 base 50F temp. Yesterday's YTD GDD base 50F was 2 for my area. I'm predicting mid-Mar for grass seed emergence.

Topic Author
Powhatan
TLF Supporter

Post by Powhatan »

Soil temp 54F @ 2" depth. YDD GDD 11.5 base 50F. Warming up. The established clover appears to be actively growing now getting taller than the surrounding dormant grass blades.

Hand-pulled some poa trivialis and lots of hairy bittercress weeds. The bittercress is mainly on the front lawn boarding near the gravel road where I probably didn't put down sufficient fall preM. Last year I remember seeing numerous bittercress weeds all over the gravel road sides.