Lawn Care Forum banner

JerseyGreens 2022 - BlueBank KBG Mono - Front

141K views 962 replies 67 participants last post by  Ben4Birdies 
#1 ·
2022 Lawn Journal Link

2021 Journal Below (pages 1-30)

Hello fellow Cool Season Lawn Family - hope everyone is doing well and healthy!

Well this Winter in Jersey was pretty brutal. Got above average snowfall and below average temps.

This is my first year coming out from the Fall Reno...I'm quite worried about the shape...or more so color of my lawn right now as I've never had a 100% KBG Lawn...

The beautiful Green(er) sections were guarded from the Winter Sun by my home. My house faces North so parts of my front yard stayed in nearly constant shade over the winter - shaded by the house...those areas have a nice shade of color. The rest of the lawn well - to me looks like crap but I guess its normal for a Fall Reno coming into it's first Spring.

If any of experts notice something truly "off" with some of these pictures - just let me know. I do see some green in all of the areas even the worst areas. Hoping this is just Par for the course!

3/25/2021 Soil Test:

See less See more
#2 ·
My mazama reno looks similar. I do see poa a in mine though so quite upset about that but hoping to suppress with tenacity and pgr. Just glad we got through the washouts last year. I remember seeing the storms coming from you to me and crying as my little seeds washed away.

#4 ·
@JerseyGreens It's over. You need to start planning another reno for this lawn... No I'm just kidding. The color will be back before you know it. My lawn looks similar now. If you by any chance had a cold snap without snow cover this winter it can really kill the color of the grass. It will green up soon. Get your spoon feeding pants on for the spring and watch if thicken.

#5 ·
@Jay20nj - last year was wild with those washouts. I still have screenshots of some of the radar maps...purple/pinks right over my house about 3 storms but we made it!

@bf7 my fellow sophomore buddy. We will do this again together. PGR? What's that and how do we add that tool to our toolkit. It should be a fun growing season. Plus we have the liberty of mentoring the 2021 class or Reno-ers this time! I hope they make a group like we did.

@SNOWBOB11 - I love it!! I was by far the most paranoid Reno-er last year. The amount of sarcasm thrown my way...especially by @g-man was what kept me going!

#9 ·
gregonfire said:
Looking good man, it'll be back before you know it. I spoon-fed fert in my first spring after the reno. Helped a lot with green up and encouraging spread. I think I did .25 n/m every week or two.
Thank you! I'm going to target 0.25 n/m just waiting for things to start growing just a bit first. I'll be throwing fert probably this time next week.

Time to learn about PGR in a hurry. With that much N I'll be out there every other day mowing!

#11 ·
bf7 said:
Wow, can't believe all that crap came out of a brand new lawn. That is a slick tool. Gives the yard a nice facelift.

We are right on the verge of optimal pre-em timing.
I sifted my hands through it - mostly dead leaf blades, leaves, small sticks, nuts...I'm sure it took out some healthy blades but the beauty is that it doesn't un-root a living plant.

Gives the crown a reason to push growth since it just got raked. The Brits use this thing before every cut which is bit much but I can see why it's heavily relied upon in the UK. Great tool.

Pre-M down this Friday AM before T-storms.

#14 ·
bf7 said:
I was struggling with these same issues. I decided to throw'r down. I feel like the timing is never going to be perfect. That being said, if you have multiple inches of water coming in a short period, it can wait.
Right on. I'm glad I didn't because we got 1.4inches of rain. Don't think I'd be happy with that coverage since I'm only putting 0.5lbs/A.

#21 ·
Yo brother! Good to be back in action here in NJ. I'm experiencing the same slow creep with my KBG plot post-reno, but I guess it's to be expected. I tried to get my pre-em app in yesterday but didn't have time. Hoping to do it Monday.

I also ran a dethatch rake through it and pulled up a surprising amount of crap... thankfully I only had to do about 1000 sq ft compared to your 6k! Looking forward to following along here.

#22 ·
OnTheLawn said:
Yo brother! Good to be back in action here in NJ. I'm experiencing the same slow creep with my KBG plot post-reno, but I guess it's to be expected. I tried to get my pre-em app in yesterday but didn't have time. Hoping to do it Monday.

I also ran a dethatch rake through it and pulled up a surprising amount of crap... thankfully I only had to do about 1000 sq ft compared to your 6k! Looking forward to following along here.
Hey man - hope you are well!!

I was starting to get worried about not hearing from you and @synergy0852 from our group last year.

Good to see you back working on your Sophomore year journal.

In regards to the clean up I luckily used my Allett Turf rake to clean up the yard. Crazy how much crap came out from a meek, thin KBG lawn! Haha.

#23 ·
bf7 said:
Oh snap! Are you the first guy in the sophomore class to drop spring N?
Didn't even cross my mind but I think you may be right. Bunch of us were just waiting and watching.

No good rain for awhile after tomorrow and I don't feel like turning my irrigation on yet. That's what led me to throw it down today.

Now to sit back and watch the green up happen even quicker (I hope).

Plus it's XGRN so it's a good amount of slow release too - it won't punch it all ASAP like pure AMS or Urea would.

#25 ·
Togo said:
@JerseyGreens I'm in a similar boat as you and not too far away, how much rain did you guys receive over there? We're getting it right now and it's way more than I anticipated. You at all worried about it washing out?
Got pretty lucky. 0.57 inches so far but it's supposed to come again later.

#26 ·
JerseyGreens said:
Togo said:
@JerseyGreens I'm in a similar boat as you and not too far away, how much rain did you guys receive over there? We're getting it right now and it's way more than I anticipated. You at all worried about it washing out?
Got pretty lucky. 0.57 inches so far but it's supposed to come again later.
I'm seeing reports of .75-1.3" right now. Yesterday it was saying .36-.5"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.