bf7
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 9,500 sq ft
Mower: John Deere 220B

Bf7 2021 Journal - Prosperity / Moonlight SLT / Blue Velvet KBG

Post by bf7 »

Happy new year TLF!

Renovated to 100% KBG in fall 2020. It was my first reno and quite a turbulent ride, but very much worth it.

Bf7 2020 Reno - Prosperity / Moonlight SLT / Blue Velvet KBG

I am currently cutting with a JD greens mower at ~13/16". The yard (front and back) is roughly 10k sq ft.

Seed blend is 33% Prosperity, 33% Moonlight SLT, and 33% Blue Velvet. According to my research, these were the KBG types most likely to produce bluish tones. My main goal for the lawn color wise is to have a blue hue.

Winter was more harsh that usual this year. Snow was on the ground for most of February. Overall I think the baby grass held up ok - no sign of snow mold. Color loss was significant but expected. I'm in the midst of investigating some spots throughout that are darker and greener than the rest of the yard. I believe it's due to excess nitrogen, either from animal urine or fertilizer burn from last year.

Submitted soil samples for testing this week. Waiting for temps to keep climbing so I can start with pre-em, spoon feeding, mowing, etc. Tentative plan for spring:

-2 applications of prodiamine at 0.5 lbs/acre (3 month) rate

-total of 2.5 lbs N/1k (0.25 lbs/1k weekly over 10 weeks) in the form of dissolved urea

-experiment with PGR for the first time

-humic, fungicides likely monthly

-tenacity, depending on extent of poa annua

-other amendments as needed per soil test

-tear out most of existing plants in front yard landscaping. Replace with rose trees, hydrangea shrubs, and juniper bushes

-paint back deck railings

Slingblade_847
Grass Type: 100% KBG Midnight/Award/Blue N
Lawn Size: 3,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro Recycler

Re: Bf7 2021 Journal - Prosperity / Moonlight SLT / Blue Velvet KBG

Post by Slingblade_847 »

@bf7 looking good! I’ll be following closely. Will be getting my journal up and running this weekend.
Front: 100% KBG - Midnight/Award/Blue Note
Back: Lets not talk about the back.....yet

Slingblade 2021 Journal I Slingblade Product Application's Calculations

Topic Author
bf7
TLF Supporter

Post by bf7 »

@Slingblade_847 looking forward to following your journal. Good luck this season!

Topic Author
bf7
TLF Supporter

Post by bf7 »

Received soil test back. Generally ok with results but upset my 10-10-10 and starter fert apps last year didn't raise P levels. Could be the topsoil I brought in for reno was deficient. On the bright side, apparently all the lime I dropped in the summer is paying dividends now.

Ordered triple superphosphate (0-45-0) and sulfate of potash (0-0-50), 50 lbs of each, to help increase P and K this year.

Topic Author
bf7
TLF Supporter

Post by bf7 »

Today put down prodiamine at 3 month rate (0.5 lbs/acre; 0.185 oz/1k; 5 g/1k). I must have measured it 6 different ways to make sure I was using the right amount. Crazy how little of that stuff you actually need per app. I was hesitant to do pre-em today given the chance for heavy storms tomorrow night (and potential washout of product). But the next few days look pretty windy, and also more forecasted storms. So I decided to just get it down, and hedge my bets by attempting to water it in to an extent with the garden hose. We've had several days in the 60s in a row, and today hit 70. Didn't want to be late on the pre-em.

The lawn is crawling back to life. A lot of people in the neighborhood already had TruGreen fertilizing their yards last week. I'm trying to resist the urge to add nitrogen until the grass is actively growing.

As usual, the back is lagging behind the front. Some of the mulch beds are empty because I am in the process of transplanting shrubs. The dark green pee spots in the hell strip and backyard are getting very annoying.

Yesterday I finished greasing the JD. She only needs a backlap and then she'll be ready to go. Fired up first pull!

JerseyGreens
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: BlueBank-Front / NoMix - Back
Lawn Size: 17,500 sq. feet
Mower: GM1600 & Allett Kensington 20H

Post by JerseyGreens »

Looking good and ready to go!

Those dark green spots are definitely interesting - I'm going to be following your journal closely. I have deer in my yard all of the time - assuming peeing as well but I don't have those. Very interesting!

Topic Author
bf7
TLF Supporter

Post by bf7 »

JerseyGreens wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:58 pm
Looking good and ready to go!

Those dark green spots are definitely interesting - I'm going to be following your journal closely. I have deer in my yard all of the time - assuming peeing as well but I don't have those. Very interesting!
Thanks man. It's painful waiting for the first mow.

I'm thinking the pee in the backyard is from my dog. I'm just shocked that the spots are so big given he's a shih tzu / miniature poodle mix. The large number of spots in the hell strip and lack of deer sightings or droppings have me convinced that dogs are the source.

JerseyGreens
TLF Supporter

Post by JerseyGreens »

We will be mowing by next weekend. I'm sure if it.

Slingblade_847

Post by Slingblade_847 »

bf7 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:37 pm
. The dark green pee spots in the hell strip and backyard are getting very annoying.
@bf7 i think your looking at it all wrong. To me it’s a preview of what the rest of your yard is soon to become. I mean, that some serious dark s**t man. Once you start hitting the N, the rest of the yard will follow suit. Can’t wait.

Topic Author
bf7
TLF Supporter

Post by bf7 »

Slingblade_847 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:26 pm
bf7 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:37 pm
. The dark green pee spots in the hell strip and backyard are getting very annoying.
@bf7 i think your looking at it all wrong. To me it’s a preview of what the rest of your yard is soon to become. I mean, that some serious dark s**t man. Once you start hitting the N, the rest of the yard will follow suit. Can’t wait.
Haha, I hope you're right 🙏 I agree the darkness is mind blowing for this time of year. It's also growing much faster than the other grass. The height is probably 2+ inches in some places, and the rest of the yard is below 1 inch.

Topic Author
bf7
TLF Supporter

Post by bf7 »

Put down 2 lbs/1k of triple superphosphate (1 lb/1k of phosphorus) and hand pulled a few buckets of weeds. The weeds are a mix of poa a and the below, which I haven't identified yet. A high number of them are coming up white due to the tenacity apps late last fall.

Many of the lawns around me have been fertilized already and are greening up fast. I really want to put down nitrogen but still feel it's a little early to be pushing top growth while the young roots are transitioning to spring.

OnTheLawn
Grass Type: GCI TTTF & Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 1400
Mower: Honda HRN216

Post by OnTheLawn »

Looking good! Those dark spots may also be due to dog spots ironically enough. If it was just a small pee that got washed out a little bit. Doubtful, but could be. I’m experiencing something similar in my TTTF with some spots coming up faster. It could also be the one of the cultivars greens up faster and by some weird twist the bulk of seeds in those spots were mostly that cultivar. Who knows! Good news it’s greening up early and the rest will follow.

Don’t throw down N too early here and get spooked by the Tru Green trucks. They’re out this early to make as much money as possible and get as many apps in as possible.
2021 Lawn Journal
2020 Renovation Journal
GCI TTTF
Mazama KBG
Southern NJ

Topic Author
bf7
TLF Supporter

Post by bf7 »

@OnTheLawn thanks! I figured they are definitely from dogs. They are all over the grass along the sidewalk. And now I notice them where my pup usually goes. It's ok with me as long as they stay green and don't die.

JerseyGreens
TLF Supporter

Post by JerseyGreens »

Been checking my front with a meat thermometer and it's clocking in temps well into the zone where things start moving...they can start moving real quick too!

Things are alive - don't overthink when to throw N - just do it once you are ideally ready to mow because that will surely follow.

Topic Author
bf7
TLF Supporter

Post by bf7 »

@JerseyGreens you are probably right. I came very close to throwing it down this weekend but chickened out when I saw it's going to get cold again later this week. Not sure if a couple of chilly days would matter in the grand scheme.

If I can grind it out 5 more days, I think I'll be in the clear for mowing and N. No promises though - I may pull the trigger on either before then!

The pee spots exploding with growth, density, and color could be a sign that it's time. If I could somehow get a jug of dog urine and do a blanket spray, not saying I wouldn't try it given what I've seen lol.

Topic Author
bf7
TLF Supporter

Post by bf7 »

Officially kicked off spoon feeding with 0.25 lbs N/1k today. Will have pics after the first mow which should be this week.

Slingblade_847

Post by Slingblade_847 »

@bf7 now I’m envious...

Can’t wait to see the photos. I may bite the bullet and officially kick off the spoon feeding myself come this weekend....

Topic Author
bf7
TLF Supporter

Post by bf7 »

@Slingblade_847 I was also waiting to push N but I just couldn't sit back and do nothing for another warm week. A decent portion of the yard is growing though so I feel ok about giving the babies a nudge. I would tell you to go for it too but I'll report back with some results later in the week.

Slingblade_847

Post by Slingblade_847 »

Alright sir! I’ll be waiting on your outcome. Truth be told, I won’t last through the weekend without not getting some proper N down....

Topic Author
bf7
TLF Supporter

Post by bf7 »

What a difference a mow makes. The babies have greened up considerably over the past couple of days. 70s and urea are a great combo. @Slingblade_847 get that N down.

Some of the worst mowing lines I've ever seen. Knocking off major rust.

Many more clippings than expected! Could just be the dog pee spots.

And blooms on the cherry tree this morning!