Lawn Care Forum banner

davegravy's 2021 journal (with Flex21!)

52K views 396 replies 37 participants last post by  Stuofsci02 
#1 ·
Kicking off the season here. Soil samples are en route to waypoint, this time using SW3 analysis (due to my high pH).

Decided to buy a flex 21 and it should be delivered in the next week or two. Can't wait to start dropping the HOC on last year's reno!

#5 ·
You guys are hilarious 😛

Just here to note an observation while digging soil samples. A good number of the cores had this chalky green smear, like the probe had hit a sulfur pellet (I applied 10lbs/M of sulfur last season). I found this a bit surprising and it leads me to believe these pellets take a LOOONG time to break down and work into the soil.

#6 ·
Sulfur is processed by bacteria at higher temps. Anything applied late last season is still sitting there. You can speed up soil integration with some of the "fast release" sulfur which breaks the pellets down with water, but the sulfur still isn't used until the soil warms up.

#7 ·
bernstem said:
Sulfur is processed by bacteria at higher temps. Anything applied late last season is still sitting there. You can speed up soil integration with some of the "fast release" sulfur which breaks the pellets down with water, but the sulfur still isn't used until the soil warms up.
So my last app in 2020 was July 10th, I avoided putting any down in the cool weather. Might need to look for this fast release stuff you mention, or just accept that there'll be a pretty big lag before I see results in my soil analysis.

#16 ·
Double cut today with the Scotts manual.

Once @ 1.5"

Then again at 1.25" in preparation for my new Toro.

BTW where's my mower @Logan200TCP? :D The crowd is chanting for their star performer!

A bit of colour loss at the lower HOC but no scalping which I'm happy about. The Scotts struggles lower down and I'm getting a lot of washboarding. Lower HOC opened up the canopy and made spotting some Poa A a bit easier. Only a few plants so far, nothing concerning.

By the way I never understood what all the fuss was with Poa A until this reno, now I get it. Before it was just another random grass type in my mix, now it stands out like a sore thumb.

Really happy with how this is going!

#20 ·
Logan200TCP said:
Yikes, I have been mentioned in a forum post!

We are waiting for the darn high height of cut brackets to arrive.
There's about 30 wrapped skids of parts for us to receive, so I am truly hoping these are in one of them.
Lol, just razzing ya. I'm sure it's a busy time of year for you lot, plus with COVID on top of everything :p Not everyday I get to publicly poke suppliers - I couldn't resist the urge. Sorry for being such a squeaky wheel!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.