Lawn Care Forum banner

Carlson's 2021 Journal - Five Fescues

21K views 79 replies 6 participants last post by  Carlson 
#1 ·
Hey All!

Starting up a new journal for this year. Up til last weekend things had mainly been cleanup work - dethatching, mowing/bagging up leftover leaves, more dethatching, etc...

Now that growth is starting up I decided to do a spring overseed to thicken things back up. Sliced 60lb of seed into the front on Sunday and added starter fert. Did a pass with Tenacity and some D-Thatch today.

I started seeding out back on Sunday, too, but the drive belt on my seeder got wrecked after 3/4 of the perimeter pass... (I had a 36" belt on when it really needs 36.5"... whoops). Back didn't take as much of a beating as the front, though.

36.5" belt *hopefully* arriving tomorrow and I can get the back done before we get a bunch of rain Thur/Fri.

As a final note I added Rowdy to my blend of seed from last year - so now it's five fescues instead of four. More shade tolerance should be a big plus for my yard.

See less See more
#77 ·
Still mowing. Took it down to 1.75" and sprayed my final dose of urea last weekend, mowed at 1.75" again today. I've been mulching the leaves in - it had been a while with today's mow so it looks kinda messy still, but with 90%+ of the oak leaves down now, my next mow will probably mulch the last few in and clean up the bits left today at the same time.

1.75" should be a good over-winter height, too. Next mow might be the last for the season.

#80 ·
Probably a little better last year as I went harder on the N - but by the end of winter snow mold had done some major damage. I'll take a slightly washed out color in favor of a faster recovery in the spring!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.