Topic Author
Lust4Lawn
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 8000
Mower: Toro GM 1000, Honda HRX

Lust4Lawn Fall 2021 Mazama Mono Backyard Reno - NJ

Post by Lust4Lawn »

My backyard has always been a bit of a struggle. Old cultivars of unknown origins, shade from mature trees, sinking areas from either tree trunks decaying or buried wood…. I’ve gone the overseed route many times and the results have always been hit or miss. My wife is sick of it which means it’s RENO TIME. Getting the timing right with the wife arguably is more important than the seed down date!

Past journal for this area: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=22966

The original backyard is about 3800 feet. I’m done with the garden due to tremendous deer and groundhog pressure so we tore out the fence around that area and will be converting this to grass and bringing the area up to ~4500 square feet not counting the compost pile area.

7/18 – Glyphosate at 2.5oz/300 feet per gallon, Ammonium Sulfate at 2.7 ounces(weight)/gallon, 2 tsp NIS and 1oz BASF Turf Mark

8/3 – Started pulling fence posts from the garden. Pulled up a bunch of nice tomato plants and sprayed glyphosate on the remaining vegetation in the garden. Sprayed FAS on areas that had moss.

8/2 – Trim back all of the trees to get more light into the yard while preserving some shade for the kids' playground. I also wanted to remove the apple tree at the left of the yard that was old and tired with many battle wounds. This was the last original fruit tree from when this property was part of an orchard. I hated to take it down but it was time. Ironically she produced the biggest fruit in overwhelming volume in an attempt to dissuade her from the inevitable. The hordes of deer will miss you but hopefully, this removes a major deer attraction from the property and lessens the pressure on other plants.

8/7 – I rented a jackhammer to remove old footings that were ~12-14” square. I recessed them ~6-8 from their original level and will likely have an extra +2” of new topsoil giving me ~8-10” of soil depth in most places.

8/10 - 18 yards of topsoil delivered

8/12 Glyphosate at 8oz/K feet per gallon, Ammonium Sulfate at 2.7 ounces(weight)/gallon, 2 tsp NIS and 1oz BASF Turf Mark

8/13 Harley rake, Spread 18 yards over the area and raked level.

8/29 Glyphosate at 5oz/K feet per gallon, Ammonium Sulfate at 2.7 ounces(weight)/gallon, 3 tsp NIS per gallon

9/3 Glyphosate at 5oz/K feet per gallon, Ammonium Sulfate at 2.7 ounces(weight)/gallon, 3 tsp NIS per gallon

9/4 Seed down! Mazama 2.5 lbs/K, DiseaseEx 2lbs/K, 0.8 lbs of N & P via Starter Fert, Tenacity 4oz/Acre.

9/11 I have some decent germination in some spots.

9/12 I am going to set this as my germination date since I have seedlings everywhere now.

10/16. Spread .25 N via AMS

10/23. Spread .25 N via AMS

10/30 Spread .33 N via AMS

11/20 Sprayed Prodiamine @ 5g/K
Last edited by Lust4Lawn on Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:03 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Topic Author
Lust4Lawn
TLF Supporter

Re: Lust4Lawn 2021 Mazama KBG Mono Back Yard Reno - NJ

Post by Lust4Lawn »

Before the glyphosate and tree work. Photos taken around 12 Noon

Footing Removal:

18 Yards of Topsoil delivered, Harley Rake and spread:

Topic Author
Lust4Lawn
TLF Supporter

Re: Lust4Lawn 2021 Mazama Mono Backyard Reno - NJ

Post by Lust4Lawn »

I did not get a soil test of the topsoil as of yet. Should I get one in the mail?

I'm targeting seed down either 8/29 (16 day fallow) if I can get time or I will, unfortunately, have to wait until 9/3-6 (3 weeks fallow) as I just can't get time. I guess that I will see what comes up from the new soil and if it is bad I might just give myself the grace period of a few more days for a more complete kill.

Seed down plan:
2-3 lbs of Mazama seed per K (9-13.5 lbs for 4.5K)
2 lbs of Disease-Ex per K (9lbs for 4.5K)
4 oz/acre rate of Mesotrione (12.3mL for 4.5K)

As for the increased light with the tree work, I am happy. My goal was to keep the playground shaded and to get more light into other areas, especially the former "garden" area. These photos were shot at 1pm.

This specific area was completely shaded by 11am before the trees were trimmed.

This was the same area at 3pm before the trees were trimmed.

Liquidstone
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: NoMix
Lawn Size: 6,500sqft
Mower: Honda 21”

Re: Lust4Lawn Fall 2021 Mazama Mono Backyard Reno - NJ

Post by Liquidstone »

Nice work on trimming up those trees and keeping shade in the play area. Sad deal about your Apple tree but I’m sure that it will help with alleviating your deer pressure. Looks like you’ve done a great job thus far. Keep up the good work, I’ll be fallowing along.

Mark2
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 3,000 sq ft
Mower: Kobalt Electric Mower

Post by Mark2 »

Liquidstone wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:49 am
Keep up the good work, I’ll be fallowing along.
Lol can’t decide if on purpose, or an accident..

Topic Author
Lust4Lawn
TLF Supporter

Post by Lust4Lawn »

@Liquidstone Thanks! Ultimately it's the kids' yard, not my sod farm so their needs/wants come first, right? I had mixed emotions for the apple tree, primarily based on her history, but the potential for deer ticks has also been reduced significantly. I don't know how long she had left but all of the apples that were still on the tree went to the deer so there was no waste of the fruit. Removing the apple tree also brought in some light right in front of the playset which I really needed. Thanks for "fallowing" along.

@Mark2LOL. Paging Dr. Freud.

Topic Author
Lust4Lawn
TLF Supporter

Post by Lust4Lawn »

So after a week of being away I came home to the fallowed topsoil with the expected weeds but the unexpected amount of nutsedge.

I was planning on spraying glyphosate in the morning and seeding later in the day. Now I'm wondering if I should add and NIS to the tenacity that I was planning during seed down.

I would love some input on this.
Last edited by Lust4Lawn on Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrubb42
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Everest/Mazama/Bluebank Blend
Lawn Size: 10,000
Mower: GM1000

Post by jrubb42 »

I would put down NIS with your glypho app. It may not kill the nutsedge off completely but you can always take care of it later. Nutsedge isn't that big of a worry IMO.

Topic Author
Lust4Lawn
TLF Supporter

Post by Lust4Lawn »

@jrubb42 Thanks. Yes, I was planning to use NIS with the glyphosate.

Any thoughts on the timing of spraying glyphosate and seeding within a few hours?

jrubb42
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Everest/Mazama/Bluebank Blend
Lawn Size: 10,000
Mower: GM1000

Post by jrubb42 »

Sorry I read that wrong. You may as well add the nis to the tenacity also. You have nothing to lose. It won't affect your soil application.

Give the glyphosate like 3 or 4 hours and you should be good to go with seeding.

Topic Author
Lust4Lawn
TLF Supporter

Post by Lust4Lawn »

Yesterday I blanket sprayed with glyphosate at 5 oz/K with NIS and 2.7 ounces by weight of AMS per gallon of spray to help with my hard water.

I checked the weather again and Hurricane Ida is forecast to drop 4-5" of rain here on Wednesday/Thursday so it looks like this weekend will have to work.

Topic Author
Lust4Lawn
TLF Supporter

Post by Lust4Lawn »

I finally got my seed down on 9/4! After 2 storms in 2 weeks totalling ~18" of rain combined, it was finally time. My fresh 18yards of topsoil had fallowed for 3 weeks and a bunch of nutsedge and some rogue grass has popped up. I applied two rounds of glyphosate a week ago and the day before seed down.

Reno Area: 4500 square feet
Mazama KBG 2.5 lbs/K
15 lbs of Starter Fert 24-25-4 (.8 lbs of N & P)
DiseaseEx 2 lbs/K
Tenacity 4 oz/acre
I'm skipping peat moss on this reno

Here is my seed tag from CD Ford (Blue Tag Mazama): https://www.cdford.com/lawn-and-garden- ... uegrass-10

After 3 weeks of fallowing, running irrigation and 2 hurricanes/tropical storms the ground was pretty hard-packed. I ran my irrigation to soften up the soil and ran my SunJoe scarifier over it in one direction which helped knock the high spots off and give me a decent loose soil bed to receive the seed. The area on the left is the before and the right is after scarifying.

Here is what the soil looked like after running the scarifier over it.

After seed, DiseaseEx & starter fertilizer I used my Groundskeeper II rake perpendicular to the path that I ran the scarifier to help mix the seed with the soil with the hopes of better seed to soil contact. After this, I rolled the area. Here I am about halfway done rolling.

All done! I sprayed tenacity on the area with NIS to see if I could get the nutsedge but most of it was thrashed from the scarifier. The area in the back corner did accumulate some water during the last 9" storm. The darker ring is from the compost that was in the mix.

MJR12284
Grass Type: TTFF/KBG 80/20
Lawn Size: 11,000
Mower: Toro Recycler

Post by MJR12284 »

Love the look of a freshly seeded lawn on seed down day! Nice work and good luck!

MJR12284
Grass Type: TTFF/KBG 80/20
Lawn Size: 11,000
Mower: Toro Recycler

Post by MJR12284 »

Ps. I got hit very hard by Ida and dropped a second round of KBG seed on my front reno this past Thursday. I was worried people will say that is too late in the year for KBG here in NJ so I will be following your progress closely.

JerseyGreens
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: BlueBank-Front / NoMix - Back
Lawn Size: 17,500 sq. feet
Mower: GM1600 & Allett Kensington 20H

Post by JerseyGreens »

Was waiting for an update here! Great prep man. Hard work pays off. Can't wait to see this come along!

lbb091919
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 4300 sqft
Mower: Honda HRR/JD 220SL

Post by lbb091919 »

Prep and seedbed looks great. That three week fallowing is really gonna pay off!

kman6234
Grass Type: Cool season mix
Lawn Size: 7,100 Sq Ft
Mower: Toro Super Recycler

Post by kman6234 »

Looks great! Good luck and here’s to no more storms hitting us in Bergen county!

Topic Author
Lust4Lawn
TLF Supporter

Post by Lust4Lawn »

I've got some decent germination in spots. I had my first babies yesterday but today 7 days after seed down I have some solid spots.

uts
Grass Type: KBG and TTTF
Lawn Size: 24000
Mower: Ferris FW35, Toro timemaster

Post by uts »

We are Reno buddies. My seed down day was 9/3.

Chris LI
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG,TTTF, FF-different mixes
Lawn Size: 5K
Mower: Snapper Hi Vac 21"

Post by Chris LI »

Congratulations on the grass babies! I'm seeing more and more Mazama renos, which is really cool.